Stop: Fatal system error..shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post..pardon any errors.. I have a Dell Dimension2350..6 yrs old.this week the monitor showed "shutting down for system error.. I've
tried googling this report and find that it is not altogether uncommon. The suggestion given was to find Command prompt and follow the printed info that I had.. however.. it is not possible to get a prompt.. the system shows the usual initial DELL logo... and goes to the window showing Windows XP logo.. and then... blank screen..... having tried cds for re installing windows again, the "whrring sound" that indicates the CD drive is working, is heard.. a minimum brightness for a micro second shows on the monitor and then the system shuts down again . Any suggestions?Something that I can do? without having to hire someone?

All of the above occurs without anything at all connecting to the PC..except mouse and keyboard.

I searched for a card that might be a video card..or a graphics card.. nothing inside the slots but the telephone dial up card.

All four "trouble lights" are green, as indicated "good" by the manual.

This sounds like the hard drive going bad.
If you can, find out who made it, go to their website and download the diagnostic tools. Make a CD with them on it and then run from boot - or fit the drive to another PC and run the tools on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back