Strange Static

Status
Not open for further replies.

SageOfTheWabash

Hello all, I usually post in the Mobo forum. I am having a strange occurrence. I randomly am having static when I try to play music using either WMP or Creative's Media player. Sometimes it totally replaces the music with static. Sometimes the static is interspersed with the music. The static is always rhythmic and in time with the music [or where the music should be] I have removed resent downloads that I thought could be interfering. No help.

I am running an ASUS P4S800D-x mobo. Pentium 4 HT 3.06ghz. Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum sound card. I have the on board audio disabled in bios.

I have most of my music stored on an external 500gig hard drive.

This set up has worked in the past. I have moved my computer to a different location recently.

Also this static occurs when I am watching movies.

Further, I have updated my creative labs drivers. No help.

The strangest thing is that if I reboot the problem will go away for a while only to reoccur when I select a different song or album. It happens with WMP and with Creative's Media player equally.

Have any of you had, or heard of this or a similar problem before?

what kind of psu do you have, your psu can emit noise that is heard through the speakers i had this problem with the first used computer i ever bought.

Thanx for the question GJ. The PSU is an "Enermax 450 W, Model Number EG 465P-VE.

The static can change in intensity when I select a different song but in never goes away until I reboot.

A lesson in diagnostic fiddling.

I also have my home stereo rack connected to my PC via USB Extender with a 50 foot [20 meter] cat 6 cable. This setup bypasses the audio card outputs, and is selectable in control panel audio settings as USB Speakers.

I enabled this setting and to my surprise the static was absent. This made me believe that the static had to be coming from a hardware problem in the audio card or the PC speakers. This was unlikely I thought because both had worked fine a short time ago. The easiest thing to do was to recheck the drivers.
I made another trip to Creative Labs site, and this time instead of using auto update, I made the effort to find my exact audio card, did the download and install. Bing Bango Bongo no more trouble in the Congo!!!

kool ive never tried usb, after you posted that last reply ive been scoping out the usb port on the front of my nome theater reciever :D

I have a "JVC 9010V". Hook up was easy. I just plugged into the USB connector on the front, then selected the USB patch button. I then enabled USB speakers in Control panel, Audio devices, audio tab, default device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back