Sudden Onset of extremely slow start up

Nicki

HP Envy Laptop shut down normally last evening. This morning it took forever to boot and was very very sluggish. Ran CCleaner, Adware Cleaner, HitmanPro and Norton scans and no PUP or viruses detected. Update to 21H1 is available but I did not download and install. Shut down laptop and went to work. Turned on this evening and same extremely slow start up and sluggishness. It has been on for about 30 minutes and is more responsive but I am concerned something was corrupted or something. Any suggestions on scans/troubleshooting measures to take to ensure all is okay?

As soon as you slowness starts use your Control+Alt+Delete and click on Task Manager. There are 4 categories there to look at. The HDD or the CPU is likely the culprit. You should also open your Event Viewer and check the logs for Custom Views>Administrative Events for more clues as to what the problem is. If your Envy has the older spinning hard drive then consider replacing that with a SSD.

Thank you! I disabled several things on the startup that I have no idea why they were enabled. That has helped some and I will take a look at the items you suggested to try and improve it further.

Back