Suddenly only Safe mode works

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]For no apparent reason Windows started to get stuck during boot-up and at slightly different points it seems. Sometimes I get the boot animation, sometimes not. Safe mode works though, chkdsk finds no disk errors. Windows' start up repair gets stuck as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue]I have a dual boot with Ubuntu and incredibly enough Ubuntu also gets stuck during booting starting at the same moment. Even booting Ubuntu from a stick gets stuck without error msg.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue]How do I pinpoint the problem?[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Many thx to you all![/FONT]

Did you recently install any Windows Updates? Working only in Safe Mode means that an important driver is missing or corrupt. Also, malware could have caused this

No new drivers. and mind you, the same problem appears for ubuntu suddenly. would that indicate it's a hardware failure of some kind that affects both (seemingly independent systems)? as I said, not even the ubuntu live disk works anymore. everything was fine one day and only safe mode works the next day...

thx for caring!

That's a possibility, yet ubuntu and windows seem to use high resolution for their logos during the startup and it works up to this point (but stops there or soon after).

Back