Suggested upgrades for new used Dell 2400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fastest processor for me I've ever had, but then hard drive frizzed & not too happy with used replacement. Is 7200 rpm the best one can get for this machine? Would like larger hd than 40g I've got with 20 2nd. Suggested to do repartioning c: apps, d: os, e: storage with 2nd drive f: paging file g: storage?
I have 1.250gig memory and the motherboard video.
And and all suggestions welcome, especially to internet speed 350 mghz here in rural Wyoming - Is broadband faster, if they ever get it here?)
And if ANYBODY knows why Mozilla 3.5 keeps crashing... Never did that before.... Some of my anti-virus stuff, maybe?
On the cheap... Lucky to find this one at the dump...
You CAN clean out a computer with a long hot shower and a suntan.

There are some 10,000 rpm drives, but not cheap.
Can always replace 40GB with larger capacity drive.
80,120,160,250 or more. Depends on finances and availability at your location.

You don't have a power supply strong enough to handle a 10,000 drive.
What you have is a four-year old very basic desktop computer. It is reliable. But it has no modern video graphics card. The power supply is inadequate for upgrades, and replacements are difficult because many new ones do not have the power switch in the needed location.
Memory upgrades are a possibility. If all memory is identical, DDR400 PC3200 in two 1 GB modules will give you a nice performance booth. Otherwise, the system will run at the speed of the slowest memory module installled.
A good 7200 rpm hard drive by Seagate or Western Digital will give you better performance than the Samsung, Maxtor, and Hitachi hard drives usually installed in that computer... they run faster and better.
Also, replacing your onboard ethernet slot with a fast PCI ethernet card will give you a performance boost.
Other than that, a new computer is the best move.

Thanks! No wonder I found it at the dump

I do happen to have an ethernet card laying around, so will install it.
So would you go with a new(er) Western Digital, but partitian it as well?
Use a second drive for the paging file?
I have read that putting OS on D: instead of C: can help prevent hackers and the like?
Or, conversely, making C:, the faster edge of the disk, the paging file, do you think, but then next OS and then prgm files?
What if I tried stripping the power supply from an older computer for a faster drive?
I do have 1.25 gig on memory & am looking for another gigger if anyone has one laying around... Not to mention the above. I, trying to make backup's of my XP Pro disk, now have 3 operating systems on the two disks & I've no idea of how to UNDO the others & wonder how many duplicate files I've now got.
BTW, I'm having a heck of a time trying to create backups -> 2nd disk. I'd like to shadow copy in case the primary goes, but it just about always tells me I don't have enough space.
And, lastly, do you think the latest Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator upgrade - About ten years old - is worth the $20, or are there any freewares out there for me?
This is a nice site. I like it.
Thanks!

And, lastly, do you think the latest Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator upgrade - About ten years old - is worth the $20, or are there any freewares out there for me?
No, on freeware flight simulators, but there might be a M$ CFS "light" jewel case version for about 10 bucks. At one point Walmart was selling it, but they've dialed back their software inventory. This was among a few games that M$ passed off to Atari to market.I'd try to hunt down a copy of M$ Flight Simulator 2004. Sadly I think it's out of print. You stand a very slim to none chance of upgrading the Dell to run "M$ Flight Simulator "X". There still might be some of Ubisoft's Pacific Fighter and the like still around also.

So, the ethernet card I've got laying around is a linksys v5.1 dated 2004 & I'll plug it in if you sages think it'll outdo what's on the board. Kind of the Addams Family train wreck kind of fun...

Thanks for the feedback on Combat Flight Simulator. I always win until they start shooting back. Keep looking for that backup cassette for my Commodore 64...

Where did you read that putting the OS on a D instead of C makes it safer? It doesn't stop a good hacker. Who would want to hack you anyway? You won't be able to detect any real difference on the paging file idea. How would you get the OS to the outer edge of the disk pr platters, exactly?

Hard drives are cheap... very cheap... nowadays... look at Directron, Zipzoomfly, Frys, NewEgg, PCMall... and so many other sites. You can get a 160 GB drive for less than a 40 GB drive cost two years ago... and a 250 GB is hardly any more than a 160. Look for a 320 GB, as they are the lowest cost per GB.

"So would you go with a new(er) Western Digital, but partitian it as well? Use a second drive for the paging file?"
Not me. I would get one large, fast 7200 rpm drive such as a Seagate or Western Digital... no others. I would never use a second drive as a paging file. I would start over. You should never partition a drive unless you have a very specific reason for doing so. Partitions gain you very little unless you need to divide your systems. You can get a 10,000 rpm drive if you can stand the expense. It will work in that computer. But the life will be reduced.
When you add a 7200 rpm drive, the speeds increase as the size increases until you get to about 250 GB, then drop dramatically after that... but adding partitions reduces speed even further. Partitions should only be used to separate and protect data or install systems... for instance if you wanted to add a Windows 98 or Windows VISTA. But whatever you add, the newest operating sytem must be installed first.

I have read that putting OS on D: instead of C: can help prevent hackers and the like?
Or, conversely, making C:, the faster edge of the disk, the paging file, do you think, but then next OS and then prgm files?

"What if I tried stripping the power supply from an older computer for a faster drive?"
Well what if you did? Power supplies have nothing to do with drive speed. See previous info on power supplies... More power, if high quality, improves reliability. But you must have a power supply that fits your case. Get one without a power switch or one where the power switch matches what you have.

"...I do have 1.25 gig on memory & am looking for another gigger if anyone has one laying around..."
You can get 2 GB of Buffalo DDR400 PC3200 on Directron.com for about $27 each. If you are suggesting that anyone has 1 GB of memory laying around, think again, as donations are not the mode here.

"...trying to make backup's of my XP Pro disk, now have 3 operating systems on the two disks & I've no idea of how to UNDO the others & wonder how many duplicate files I've now got."
Time to clean up your system.

"... having a heck of a time trying to create backups -> 2nd disk. I'd like to shadow copy in case the primary goes, but it just about always tells me I don't have enough space."
The space issue is due to the way your system is setup. Avoid the gimmicks. You would probably benefit from a reformat and reinstall... getting rid of the extra partitions and duplicate installs all together.

"And, lastly, do you think the latest Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator upgrade - About ten years old - is worth the $20, or are there any freewares out there for me?"
No decent freeware for Combat Flight Simulator. If you like it, get the real deal.

Bottom line is you should be doing a standard install with good quality hard drive and memory, and avoid the gimmicks. Nobody uses them because they don't help you at all when you have a basic system. Get a good drive of 160 GB or larger, boost your memory to 2GB before the prices go any higher, then save your pennies for a new system... The best way to deal with that Dell is leave it alone. It can never do graphics well. It will never be high speed. But it is a darn good computer for the price. Diddle with it, and it will fail. If it were mine, I would boost the power supply to 500 W if I could find one that would fit... The current power supply will handle everything you have, because the system really is not upgradeable. Only if you get a new and high powered video card will you need any change in power supply.
You are limited by the BUS on that system, by the 40 GB hard drive, and by your 1 GB memory for some uses. But basically, you have enough good in your system to begin learning how to use Windows XP. You need to ask yourself if you know how to use all that computer has to offer, before you go about changing it.

to Kcircyrd.
Wrong. On any multiple OS system, the older system goes on first, the newest last.
I always put a 10GB partition on the tail end of my drives so that drivers, files and folders can be stored and anything I download goes there until they get cleared by my AV and antispyware programs.
Everything right there in case a reinstall is called for.

Just checked on eBay.
Plenty of MS Flight Sim 2000,2002 and 2004 floating around there at pretty reasonable prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back