Suggestions for increased FPS in Lotro

Hey guys (and gals),

Was wondering if I could pick your brains for some ideas on how to increase my FPS in Lord of the Rings Online. I'm not a huge gamer though I do enjoy playing mmo's. The problem is that my fps sucks! Typically while just roaming around I have around 40-55 fps but when ever I do an instances or raids or even come into populated towns it can drop all the way to 2-8 fps....it seems very spikey at times when many people are around. No other programs are being ran while playing the game. So any suggestions would be awesome. Let me know if u need more info then what I give as followed:

AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black Edition (quad core 2.3GHz)
RAM 4 sticks of 2.0gb PC2-6400 (400MHz) so 8gb total
XFX Radeon HD 5870 video card (1gb GDDR5)
1 Hardrive ST3640323AS ATA
ACER X223W resolution 1680x1050 refresh 60H (I can drop the resolution to
1440x900 and use 75h refresh but doesn;t help with the problem)
Windows 7 64bit
All drivers are updated and are being utilized.
I'm also overclocking as much as I can (safely) with my video card and CPU

I have also tried to adjust the in game graphics by basically reducing everything to improve performance though it still will hover around the 2-8 fps while in groups or raids.

Thanks for the help.

While just glancing at your specs, I very much doubt this is an issue with your video card. The Radeon HD 5870 should handle this game no problems on max with a 1680x1050 resolution. My guess would be that your CPU is having trouble keeping up during intense gameplay like in raids and major cities. Which is why by even lowering your graphics you still have issues. Depending on your motherboard and hoping you don't have a stock PC, you might be able to just update your processor.

Thanks for some info Relic.

I built my computer back in 2007 or 2008 so it is not a stock machine. The motherboard in the computer is made by ASUSTek model number M3A78. Do you still think it is a CPU problem? Would this be the most logical thing to upgrade?

Thanks

I would say so, considering the rest of your specs the CPU is definitely the weakest component and is likely the source holding you back. Lucky you though according to Asus the M3A78 should support the newer Phenom II CPU's with a simple BIOS update, double check to find your variation of the M3A78 as there are a few to get the correct BIOS. I would say going with the Phenom II x4 955 would give you a solid performance boost over your current Phenom X4 9600, and the CPU support list does have it listed, at least the one I linked.

Thanks relic,

That is the processor I was looking at to possibly upgraded too....Thanks bro....just trying to figure out if I should go with the Phenom IIX4 955 ~$140 compared to Phenom IIX6 1090T ~$199. QQ

Thanks for the help!

No problem, just make sure whatever you decide on is supported by your motherboard. And don't forget to update that BIOS :) .

Back