Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the fastest-selling Switch game ever

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Nintendo's Switch has smashed even the most optimistic of expectations in its first 21 months on the market thanks in part to a solid selection of franchise favorites like Mario, Super Smash Bros. and Zelda.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has become the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game of all time.

Launched on December 7, Nintendo managed to sell more than three million copies of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the US in its first 11 days on the market according to the company’s own internal sales data.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate isn’t the only game Nintendo is proud of. As Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aimé shared last week, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild all have attach rates of better than 50 percent (meaning half of all Switch owners have these games).

In the US, Nintendo has sold more than 4.7 million copies of Odyssey and over five million and four million units, respectively, for Mario Kart and Zelda.

Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! have combined to sell two million units while Super Mario Party has been purchased 1.4 million times in the US.

The NPD Group on Tuesday also revealed that the Switch has become the fastest-selling console of this hardware generation. In its first 21 months of availability, Nintendo has sold more than 8.7 million systems in the US, outpacing all other current-gen systems through the same point in their life cycles.

Permalink to story.

I heard the makers of SSB were saying the sheer character total in SSBU is so high it kills the gameplay. Anybody have any experience with this and agree or disagree? It does seem like it'd make it impossible to know your opponent.

I heard the makers of SSB were saying the sheer character total in SSBU is so high it kills the gameplay. Anybody have any experience with this and agree or disagree? It does seem like it'd make it impossible to know your opponent.

I can't speak from experience...but when I watched SSB competitions the pros generally only choose certain tier 1 characters. I don't think this will be a major issue.

Another example would be LoL or Dota 2. You literally have hundreds of heroes and team combinations (given each team has 5). Most players quickly adapt and understand the combos at play and stuff.

Humans are pretty good at learning and adapting after a couple dozen hours of iteration :p

Where are all the Sony and Microsoft pundits now?
Gone. Because they got their mouth caved in with pure ownage.

The XBOX and PS4 have soooo many great LOOKING games and highly marketed micro-transaction online shooters. (A type of thing that has been free on PC for over a decade, think CS:GO is FTP now) But where are all the great games? Ohh wait, there aren't many. Nintendo still does fun and gameplay better. The others are more concerned with taking your money. Shitty.
I game on a new Microsoft console, buts its the truth.
No way to unlock Characters in Mortal Kombat 10, they must be bought? I regret buying the game...but I only paid $15 on a deal so not a big loss.

More than SFV global sales in 3 years... Still easily the best fighting game since USF4 and VF5, kudos to Nintendo.

Where are all the Sony and Microsoft pundits now?
Gone. Because they got their mouth caved in with pure ownage.

The XBOX and PS4 have soooo many great LOOKING games and highly marketed micro-transaction online shooters. (A type of thing that has been free on PC for over a decade, think CS:GO is FTP now) But where are all the great games? Ohh wait, there aren't many. Nintendo still does fun and gameplay better. The others are more concerned with taking your money. Shitty.
I game on a new Microsoft console, buts its the truth.
No way to unlock Characters in Mortal Kombat 10, they must be bought? I regret buying the game...but I only paid $15 on a deal so not a big loss.

Arhmmm... God of War... you know, the GOTY released and made by... SONY...

Also, The last of Us Part 2 is my most anticipated title with Cyberpunk 2077. Hurray for Nintendo, but Sony is, as of now, as good as them in the Business.

Back