Survey: AMD CPUs preferred by 60% of Europeans

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: We know that AMD has gone from living in Intel’s shadow to becoming a genuine rival in recent times, and a new survey illustrates this. According to the European Hardware Association (EHA), AMD’s popularity has increased 50 percent over the last two years.

When asked about the next desktop processor they intended to buy, the 10,000 respondents who take part in the survey expressed a preference for AMD, with 60 percent choosing the company over Intel.

“The last three years has seen AMD gain a lot of momentum in the enthusiast segment,” said EHA chairman Koen Crijns. “With the Ryzen series of CPUs, AMD has eliminated any lingering performance gaps, while offering a great price/performance ratio.”

AMD has been slowly gaining favor among European PC fans. In a similar survey from 2018, 40 percent of respondents preferred AMD. That figure was up to 50 percent in another survey conducted in May this year.

“The surge in preference from 50 percent to 60 percent over recent months, can be explained by the launch of AMD’s latest 3rd generation Ryzen desktop CPU”, said Crijns.

AMD is also making gains when it comes to graphics cards, though Nvidia remains the dominant name by far. While 72.8 percent of those who read EHA publications would choose GeForce cards, AMD has seen its share go up 4 percent in the last six months, from 19 percent to almost 23 percent.

Additionally, the survey showed virtually everyone who preferred AMD GPUs combined them with the company’s CPUs. An Intel processor/AMD graphics card combo only accounted for 2.9 percent of the results.

It’s not just Europe where AMD is experiencing a popularity surge. In Amazon’s US chart of best-selling CPUs, all but two of the top ten spots are occupied by AMD processors, and its CPU sales have moved ahead of Chipzilla in Japan.

Permalink to story.

Seems like Nvidia gain some market shares in the dedicated GPU segment in the last quarter though

YlaRDQgODZaJS3sG.jpg

Source

There is no rivalry in the discrete GPU market and its not about raw performance, its about quality, stability, polish and execution. While its nice to see AMD finally, after 10-15 years of being dominated, revise themselves as a true competitor in the consumer CPU market, they have some work to do with their GPU hardware and software.
It will continue to stay around 75/25 to about 80/20 until there is a change in those aspects.
Don't give me that crap that their GPU's are just as stable, their software has as many features, and its all just as polished. It's not, and before you link this and link that, argue this and argue that, your opinion and facts are null.
90% of Steam users and 75-80% of the discrete market share with Nvidia is all you need to know.

Last edited:
There is no rivalry in the discrete GPU market and its not about raw performance, its about quality, stability, polish and execution. While its nice to see AMD finally, after 10-15 years of being dominated, revise themselves as a true competitor in the consumer CPU market, they have some work to do with their GPU hardware and software.
It will continue to stay around 75/25 to about 80/20 until there is a change in those aspects.
Don't give me that crap that their GPU's are just as stable, their software has as many features, and its all just as polished. It's not, and before you link this and link that, argue this and argue that, your opinion and facts are null.
90% of Steam users and 75-80% of the discrete market share with Nvidia is all you need to know.

You know what, I dont know if I'm the lucky guy here but I've used cards from both manufactures and I can say that they are both equally good. Both have bad drivers and good drivers where I would give nVida an upper hand is their drivers are better at the start of given card life where AMD does usually have teething problems but they are a smaller company, the reason why nVida has all that market share is they are much better at marketing, my mother in law who doesn't even have a computer knows what nVida is :p

By this logic, Call of Duty is the most polished game series ever and pet rock is of the highest quality. There are many variables that go into how much a product sells. For graphics cards price, performance, and power consumption are all factors. Please show me the data where you isolated the variables you mentioned above and proved that they are in fact the cause. In case you didn't know, the steam survey doesn't do that nor is that it's intention. All you are doing here is bending the narrative to fit your point.

It's not, and before you link this and link that, argue this and argue that, your opinion and facts are null.

Ignorance speaks loudly so as to be heard but it's volume gives reason to doubt every word. Anyone speaking with 100% confidence to dismiss every opposing opinion should be looked at with caution. I have to assume you are either trolling or truly ignorant of how to correlate data points given that you can speak with absolute confidence that the steam survey somehow equates specifically to quality/stability and no other variable (price, performance) while providing zero evidence other then a broad survey that was not intended to isolate the variables you mentioned.

your opinion and facts are null.

You know what, I dont know if I'm the lucky guy here but I've used cards from both manufactures and I can say that they are both equally good. Both have bad drivers and good drivers where I would give nVida an upper hand is their drivers are better at the start of given card life where AMD does usually have teething problems but they are a smaller company, the reason why nVida has all that market share is they are much better at marketing, my mother in law who doesn't even have a computer knows what nVida is :p
I'd argue there is a significant difference in driver quality. AMD having "teething problems" is putting it mildly, when major features and simple, blatant bugs like the black screen start are present 3-4 months after launch. AMD has a chronic issue of launching their hardware early (AIBs were surprised with the 5700xt's launch date, whereas they have plenty of forewarning from Nvidia, motherboard AIBs got a fraction of the time to make Ryzen boards before launch compared to the time intel gave them, and the AGESA code for ryzen was incomplete, this really showed its ugly head with ryzen 3000) and patching their issues later, rather then presenting a polished launch.

This has a detrimental effect on their perceived quality, regardless of actual performance. For instance, AMD broke Freesync with 18.12.2, before even the 5700xt came out, and AMD didnt recognize the problem until new 5700xt owners were returning the cards and going nvidia over the freesync issue. It wasnt fixed until 19.10 came out, or 10 MONTHS. Nvidia was chastised for taking 6 months to fix the chrome bug, but AMD taking 10 months to fix their own feature somehow gets swept under the rug. By the time they get their drivers ironed out to provide appropriate performance, they are a generation behind. FineWine is an excuse for drivers that are so terribly written it takes 3 years to get the performance you should have had day 1 or 2. Oh well, it works out great for the consumers that use it as a good excuse to not buy newer AMD cards. Oh wait....

Nvidia definitely has dominant mindshare, and while nvidia marketing plays a part, AMD is largely responsible for their image of 2nd tier hardware with poor support. Allowing Nvidia to take the high end uncontested for multiple generations certianly isnt helping them. amstech went off the deep end, but he has a point in that AMD's image is AMD's fault, and the market wont jump on the AMD train until they get their issues sorted.

Last edited:
I'd argue there is a significant difference in driver quality. AMD having "teething problems" is putting it mildly, when major features and simple, blatant bugs like the black screen start are present 3-4 months after launch. AMD has a chronic issue of launching their hardware early (AIBs were surprised with the 5700xt's launch date, whereas they have plenty of forewarning from Nvidia, motherboard AIBs got a fraction of the time to make Ryzen boards before launch compared to the time intel gave them, and the AGESA code for ryzen was incomplete, this really showed its ugly head with ryzen 3000) and patching their issues later, rather then presenting a polished launch.

This has a detrimental effect on their perceived quality, regardless of actual performance. For instance, AMD broke Freesync with 18.12.2, before even the 5700xt came out, and AMD didnt recognize the problem until new 5700xt owners were returning the cards and going nvidia over the freesync issue. It wasnt fixed until 19.10 came out, or 10 MONTHS. Nvidia was chastised for taking 6 months to fix the chrome bug, but AMD taking 10 months to fix their own feature somehow gets swept under the rug. By the time they get their drivers ironed out to provide appropriate performance, they are a generation behind.

Nvidia definitely has dominant mindshare, and while nvidia marketing plays a part, AMD is largely responsible for their image of 2nd tier hardware with poor support. Allowing Nvidia to take the high end uncontested for multiple generations certianly isnt helping them. amstech went off the deep end, but he has a point in that AMD's image is AMD's fault, and the market wont jump on the AMD train until they get their issues sorted.

Link to the article demonstrating FreeSync was broken with 18.12.2? Unless you are telling me you are basing this solely on hearsay from some random forums?

Lol... While amstech might have been heavy-handed in his comment, there's really not much of an argument against it.

Can anyone explain why Nvidia has such a dominating market share while still arguing that the AMD cards are actually their equals (or superiors)?

The argument of "name recognition" doesn't hold water - otherwise why do they have such traction in the CPU market? Intel is a bigger company and name than Nvidia!

While Intel simply has no answer for the latest AMD CPUs, the same holds true for AMD against Nvidia's top cards. There is NOTHING AMD offers that performs like the 2080 Super - let alone the 2080Ti or Titan!

There is hope, however.... Intel sat on their @sses and allowed AMD to jump ahead... Nvidia may very well do the same...

Of course, AMD better keep improving - Intel will be on 7nm in a year or so and may be poised to take the performance crown back.

Saying Nvidia has better drivers when only physics driver occupy 300mb at least, and is completely useless, or when nvidia does gimp some games with their works, and thus that developer does not bring its own innovations.

Saying AMD has worse drivers when they invented the base of Vulkan and mantle, and they are in all consoles and all ports are starting from there (look RedDeadRedemption2). These people who bring the same topics are either intel/Nv paid shills (or paid in loyalty bonuses) or something like that. Is beyond me how someone brings such low calibre topics every time, can someone please stop these nagging people.

I would express my eternal sadness, too, when Nvidia stops supporting my card, while Amd keeps improving and gaining new console support each time.

@Squid Surprise do you actually own that card or just use its halo effect to venerate the company for all its flaws and strengths lol

Last edited:
@Squid Surprise do you actually own that card or just use its halo effect to venerate the company for all its flaws and strengths lol
Yes, I own the 2080ti and it works great... used to have triple Titans (Maxwell) and this runs better...

Also have an older pc with a Radeon 7870... had the Radeon 9700 pro back when 128mb was insanely awesome...

Saying Nvidia has better drivers when only physics driver occupy 300mb at least, and is completely useless, or when nvidia does gimp some games with their works, and thus that developer does not bring its own innovations.

Saying AMD has worse drivers when they invented the base of Vulkan and mantle, and they are in all consoles and all ports are starting from there (look RedDeadRedemption2). These people who bring the same topics are either intel/Nv paid shills (or paid in loyalty bonuses) or something like that. Is beyond me how someone brings such low calibre topics every time, can someone please stop these nagging people.

I would express my eternal sadness, too, when Nvidia stops supporting my card, while Amd keeps improving and gaining new console support each time.

You don't have to install Physx. So invalid.

Absolute majority of games are console ports yet running better on Nvidia. So again, you are invalid.

Vulcan runs now better on Nvidia cards than on AMD, so invalid.

Radeon VII was EOLed after a few months.

Lately, AMD just keept rebranding cards, so if your 3 gens in a row use the same architecture and you change just clocks, the cards get better over time because you keep optimizing for them actively so there goes the fine wine myth.

Lol... While amstech might have been heavy-handed in his comment, there's really not much of an argument against it.

Can anyone explain why Nvidia has such a dominating market share while still arguing that the AMD cards are actually their equals (or superiors)?

The argument of "name recognition" doesn't hold water - otherwise why do they have such traction in the CPU market? Intel is a bigger company and name than Nvidia!

While Intel simply has no answer for the latest AMD CPUs, the same holds true for AMD against Nvidia's top cards. There is NOTHING AMD offers that performs like the 2080 Super - let alone the 2080Ti or Titan!

There is hope, however.... Intel sat on their @sses and allowed AMD to jump ahead... Nvidia may very well do the same...

Of course, AMD better keep improving - Intel will be on 7nm in a year or so and may be poised to take the performance crown back.

:joy: He specifically said it WAS NOT about raw performance. It's literally the first sentence of his comment.

"There is no rivalry in the discrete GPU market and its not about raw performance, its about quality, stability, polish and execution. "

Seems to be the classic case of preconceived bias, you didn't even read the first sentence of his post and yet claim it 100% unarguable on something he specifically excludes.

Please stop relying on supposition to support your opinions people. This can't get much more hilarious.

Is there some more holistic quantification here, because according statista, AMD market share for x86 from Q1 '17 to Q2 '19 moved just 5%, intel did the same from Q1 '14 to Q4 '15; difference being that intel has maintained over 75% market share since Q2 '14, and over 70% well before then. AMD market share puts it back where it was in Q2 '15; thru Q2 '19 anyway. But even this is just another survey. So outside the practically anectodal , is there a significant market share shift based on hard data?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/735904/worldwide-x86-intel-amd-market-share/

:joy: He specifically said it WAS NOT about raw performance. It's literally the first sentence of his comment.

"There is no rivalry in the discrete GPU market and its not about raw performance, its about quality, stability, polish and execution. "

Seems to be the classic case of preconceived bias, you didn't even read the first sentence of his post and yet claim it 100% unarguable on something he specifically excludes.

Please stop relying on supposition to support your opinions people. This can't get much more hilarious.
And had you read MY post, you’d have seen me state that his post was heavy-handed!

I don’t care about polish and drivers, etc... although that would be a nice thing for a GPU to have as well...

I’m arguing about performance - which, at the high end - AMD simply doesn’t have. There is NO argument to be made here, but kudos for trying to manufacture one :)

And had you read MY post, you’d have seen me state that his post was heavy-handed!

I don’t care about polish and drivers, etc... although that would be a nice thing for a GPU to have as well...

I’m arguing about performance - which, at the high end - AMD simply doesn’t have. There is NO argument to be made here, but kudos for trying to manufacture one :)

You said

"While amstech might have been heavy-handed in his comment, there's really not much of an argument against it. "

YOU agreed with his argument and that argument was specifically for "quality, stability, polish, and execution". You even went as far as to say there's zero argument against him. You can't agree with his points about polish, drivers, ect and then go and support that argument by presenting an entirely different opinion. It's like saying you enjoy showers the most and then presenting evidence for it by stating how great baths are.

Don't try to pass the blame by saying silly things like "READ BETTER!". Just admit you screwed up and move on. I'll forgive you and I'm sure everyone else will. Double down and the only one you are hurting is yourself.

Tbf the top end graphics card isn't profitable enough for AMD, they're better aiming for the mainstream and budget gamers, that's where the money is. Seriously I know very few people who spend £700+ on a graphics card.

You don't have to install Physx. So invalid.
When the installation files are placed in a cache folder, not just one location but two different locations. It is not so invalid. The bad thing is one of the cache locations screws with Steam and possibly other clients if removed.

Tbf the top end graphics card isn't profitable enough for AMD, they're better aiming for the mainstream and budget gamers, that's where the money is. Seriously I know very few people who spend £700+ on a graphics card.

Actually... the MOST profit comes from high-end products. Mark-up is generally far higher on those. Why do you think Threadripper costs so much?

You said

"While amstech might have been heavy-handed in his comment, there's really not much of an argument against it. "

YOU agreed with his argument and that argument was specifically for "quality, stability, polish, and execution". You even went as far as to say there's zero argument against him. You can't agree with his points about polish, drivers, ect and then go and support that argument by presenting an entirely different opinion. It's like saying you enjoy showers the most and then presenting evidence for it by stating how great baths are.

Don't try to pass the blame by saying silly things like "READ BETTER!". Just admit you screwed up and move on. I'll forgive you and I'm sure everyone else will. Double down and the only one you are hurting is yourself.
Lol... I was stating that his ARGUMENT - "There is no rivalry in the discrete GPU market "
was correct... the reasons for it were heavy-handed, (I disagreed with that part), but I stand by the POINT - which you apparently are wilfully missing.

Before you continue trolling, answer the question: Does AMD actually rival Nvidia?

Lol... I was stating that his ARGUMENT - "There is no rivalry in the discrete GPU market "
was correct... the reasons for it were heavy-handed, (I disagreed with that part), but I stand by the POINT - which you apparently are wilfully missing.

Before you continue trolling, answer the question: Does AMD actually rival Nvidia?

amstech said

""There is no rivalry in the discrete GPU market and its not about raw performance, its about quality, stability, polish and execution. "

You originally said

It's plainly clear you fully agreed with all of his comment. You provided zero stipulations and even wants as far as to say their is zero arguments against it. Next time you run into a dark cave, you might want to bring a torch.

amstech said

""There is no rivalry in the discrete GPU market and its not about raw performance, its about quality, stability, polish and execution. "

You originally said

It's plainly clear you fully agreed with all of his comment. You provided zero stipulations and even wants as far as to say their is zero arguments against it. Next time you run into a dark cave, you might want to bring a torch.
Again, no I didn’t... and regardless, you still haven’t addressed it - so I’m going to assume you agree with him (and me) and are simply trolling.

Back