Survey suggests the iPhone XR is winning over more Android users than the iPhone X

Polycount

Staff

Picking your cell phone OS of choice is a bit like picking your favorite game console. Much like Xbox and PlayStation fans, Android and iOS fans are often far too entrenched in their respective mobile OS to ever consider switching.

It would take a particularly appealing product (or set of products) to change that norm, and it seems Apple may have finally created just such a device with the iPhone XR. While the XR's overall sales may have proven disappointing to Apple so far, a recent report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners revealing specific sales data is more optimistic.

In the month following the iPhone XR's launch, 16 percent of the device's buyers reportedly upgraded from Android phones - that number was sitting at a mere 11 percent in November 2017, when the iPhone X released. Furthermore, when taking all of Apple's new iPhone sales into account, CIRP found that the XR accounted for 32 percent of shipments during the first 30 days of its launch.

In short, not only is the iPhone XR one of Apple's best-selling iPhones, but it's also one of the most appealing iOS-based phones for Android users. There could be any number of reasons for that, but we wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone XR's lower price tag of $749 is the main culprit.

Permalink to story.

I own an iPhone XS MAX 512GB. I personally don't see myself upgrading again till a 1TB model is available and I doubt that will be in 2019.

Apple doesn't make deals.

It's like choosing an Armani suit over a suit from Walmart. Sure the Walmart suit is cheaper. Sure it'll get the job done. But at the end of the day, you either have an Armani suit or you don't.

My friend's girlfriend opened up her new Macbook Pro 512GB with Touchbar for Christmas and was amazed how quickly it synced with everything else she had: iPad, iPhone, etc. Apple's ecosystem is on lockdown. The tightest there is.

The only problem Apple has is pricing but in reality they have no competition.

All the Android makers compete with each other for scraps. Apple enjoys the exclusivity of iOS and a better retail model than any Android maker - including Samsung. The only thing apple is missing is expresso machines or snacks at the Genius bars.

I own an iPhone XS MAX 512GB. I personally don't see myself upgrading again till a 1TB model is available and I doubt that will be in 2019.

It's like choosing an Armani suit over a suit from Walmart. Sure the Walmart suit is cheaper. Sure it'll get the job done. But at the end of the day, you either have an Armani suit or you don't.

My friend's girlfriend opened up her new Macbook Pro 512GB with Touchbar for Christmas and was amazed how quickly it synced with everything else she had: iPad, iPhone, etc. Apple's ecosystem is on lockdown. The tightest there is.

All the Android makers compete with each other for scraps. Apple enjoys the exclusivity of iOS and a better retail model than any Android maker - including Samsung. The only thing apple is missing is expresso machines or snacks at the Genius bars.

Eh, the ecosystem can't be beat - I'll give you that. But if as a standalone phone, there are Android phones that *pessimistically* keep pace with the XR Max, if not surpass it on operability. Android battery life and camera quality have already been tested to surpass any iOS product.

Eh, the ecosystem can't be beat - I'll give you that. But if as a standalone phone, there are Android phones that *pessimistically* keep pace with the XR Max, if not surpass it on operability. Android battery life and camera quality have already been tested to surpass any iOS product.

Show me the Android phone that runs iOS and has iMovie built in.

AND that's the reason why Android ain't got nothing for me....

My iPhone and iMovie have gotten me 50,000 subs on Youtube and keep Youtube checks coming every 23rd of the month. My Youtube check ALONE is paying the mortgage on my second house.

Show me the Android phone that runs iOS and has iMovie built in.

AND that's the reason why Android ain't got nothing for me....

My iPhone and iMovie have gotten me 50,000 subs on Youtube and keep Youtube checks coming every 23rd of the month. My Youtube check ALONE is paying the mortgage on my second house.
weird flex but ok

Haha! you all poor now, you can only afford cheap iPhone which nobody would buy back in time when it would cost 400.
750 is a lot. I will not buy it just because it wears a branding that's screams: "cheaaaapp!"
Unfortunately only proves sad truth about apple customers--sheeple.
They are given a "budget" the least desired device and they still buy it. Shame on you apple buyers, get some dignity and self respect.

You guys, we need to decide which is the next best phone brand for USA carriers. Like Atnt:????, Tmobile:????. Sprint:?????.
And I know, plus phone works, but idk, it isn't shiny enough for me and Sony forgot the importance of water protection.

I’ll take a current gen phone over previous gen if the features aren’t vastly different. Runs faster and probably more resale value when I need to upgrade. That’s not a tough decision.

It's more like buying a cotton suit from a big-name store and an Armani suit from Walmart. Sure the material is definitely better but some people would still rather pay more for the name brand cotton suit knowing it's more expensive for less quality. You're paying for the brand, not for quality.

For me, ANY phone over 500 bucks is too expensive.
They can put all the glitter, colors, 5-10 cameras on it all they want.
But, at the end of the day, 99% of people open 3-4 apps, browse the web, stream music/video
It's not like they are trying to solve some quantum physic calculations.
But, it ain't my money, it's their money...spend it if you want.

It's more like buying a cotton suit from a big-name store and an Armani suit from Walmart. Sure the material is definitely better but some people would still rather pay more for the name brand cotton suit knowing it's more expensive for less quality. You're paying for the brand, not for quality.

OK then. Thing is, this is the highest quality device with the best performance on the market. I am paying for ios on that device and as long as I'm happy with it - NOTHING else matters.

OK then. Thing is, this is the highest quality device with the best performance on the market. I am paying for ios on that device and as long as I'm happy with it - NOTHING else matters.
Look at the specs in the link I provided and tell me it's the highest quality. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Again, you are paying for branding, which is NOT the same as quality.

Look at the specs in the link I provided and tell me it's the highest quality. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Again, you are paying for branding, which is NOT the same as quality.

Specs on paper are irrelevant.

I have it.

XS MAX 512GB.

It works flawlessly and predictably.

Tell the rest of those android copycats to stop trying to make their disgusting products LOOK like iPhone.

I don't want to see any more display notches.

Specs on paper are irrelevant.

I have it.

XS MAX 512GB.

It works flawlessly and predictably.

Tell the rest of those android copycats to stop trying to make their disgusting products LOOK like iPhone.

I don't want to see any more display notches.

If you trust Apple more than raw facts and numbers, then we can stop here. My OnePlus 3T has been by far my best phone ever and it's even aging. iPhones are only good for people who don't like customization and want a dedicated store to fixing their issues rather than to shop around. If you are happy with it, nothing else matters.

If you trust Apple more than raw facts and numbers, then we can stop here. My OnePlus 3T has been by far my best phone ever and it's even aging. iPhones are only good for people who don't like customization and want a dedicated store to fixing their issues rather than to shop around. If you are happy with it, nothing else matters.

Yes let's stop there.

Cause I love my products and don't care about naysayers.

Conversation terminated.

Back