Suspect Mcafee scam

Hodsocks

Hi guys, just wanted your thoughts on what I suspect may be a scam involving Mcafee, or maybe I'm just getting old and cynical.
Yesterday I was trying to install Mcafee Total Protection on a customers laptop, I went to the Mcafee.com/activate site, entered all the information including the serial number and whenever I hit the submit button it would take me back to the start. I tried this several times without success, while doing this a support chat box was popping up asking if I am having problems, after the third attempt I clicked on the chat box explaining my problem. The operator gave me the info I had typed into the site asking if it was correct and then passed me on to a technician who setup remote access to the laptop. He ran a scan from a cmd box, not sure what it was doing as text was moving so quickly, at the end it was suggesting there were 168 trojans on the computer which was the reason for my issues with installing Mcafee. He then tried to sell me a package costing £79.99 a year which would protect the pc. I said I need to think about it as I was unhappy with what I had seen, I then disconnected from the technician. I then installed and ran Malwarebytes and Avast free which found nothing. I then downloaded a 30 day trial of Mcafee total protection which installed fine and suggested my customer do a full scan over the weekend.

Was this a scam or am I being over suspicious as the technician was suggesting that Mcafee would not protect from malware and trojans anyway which seemed a strange statement from an alleged Mcafee technician.

Back