Suspected virus/spyware threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

G'day fellows.

My sister used my laptop and the next time I used it I started getting all sorts of problems (never let a woman use anything technological:p). I automatically suspected a virus or spyware treat... Anyways, my virus scan subscription finished and I havnt been bothered to download a new scanner - maybe now is the time to do so, any ideas? So naturally I was planning to check with spybot and ad-aware. Unfortunately both these programs gave me some errors (one had to do with the definitions file (adaware) and the other was in German... The started to highten my suspicions. Since I am not sure if it is a virus - I havnt done any other scans recomended HERE So need to give me that link. Also, I noticed soldier of fortune 2 was not working - it wouldnt even open.

Hope to get some ideas. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Regards,

Korrupt

korrupt said:
(never let a woman use anything technological:p)
Techspot does not condone casual sexism(or even formal sexism).Even if it`s little sister.

I havnt been bothered to download a new scanner - maybe now is the time to do so, any ideas?
AVG is the standard free AV.If you want to pay, NOD32 is my favorite.
Ewido,Spybot,Ad-aware,Spyware Blaster.are the anti-spyware standards.

I havent` done any other scans recomended HERE So need to give me that link.
Why not ? That is the best place to go,as you must know.

If you reply to this post that will be your 84 th post today,which beats
the record of 83 set by by g.freeman on 10/31/05.Congratulations.:)

Well, i guess i beat the record then!:)

Well, scans came back good so no spyware prob. Restarted and now its fixed.

Thanks for help.

Regards,

Korrupt

EDIT:How can I see how many posts I've made today?

how is it possible that g.freeman made 83 posts in one day? According to his user profile he's only posted a total of 79...?

I was just trying to make a point in a humorous way.
The point being, that you maybe posting too much.
Techspot honours are awarded using a complex algorithm involving
time/quality/quantity.80 posts a day will get you marked down.

Unless your an expert on everything like Howard,or
your a very good speller,like Spike :p,15 to 20 posts a day is
plenty.The occasional tutorial can get you points, if they`re
deemed to be useful.

BTW I only chose g.freeman.because his homepage amused me :)

To see how many posts you`ve made, click on the my posts button at the top of any page.

If you`re sure your system is clean no problem.

However, it might be a good idea to follow these instructions HERE.

If you would like to post a fresh HJT log after doing the above, I`d be happy to take a look at it for you.

korrupt said:
how is it possible that g.freeman made 83 posts in one day? According to his user profile he's only posted a total of 79...?

If you look at g.freeman`s profile and click on find all posts by g.freeman, you`ll see that his posts were not all made on the same date. Also, any comments he may have made on the frontpage news or in the gallery will be added to his posts tally, but won`t not show up when you look at his post total.

Regards Howard :)

You know peddant, I find it quite offensive that you accuse me of posting "bogus" posts just to get to the next ranking.

1 - Rankings don't make a difference to me.
2 - Look at my average posts per day, they are around 8.
3 - yesterday I had a lot of time on my hands so I figured I should be a good samaritan and spend my time on something productive.
4 - 80% of problems posted here are solved by solutions such as spyware removal, updating of firmware/drivers etc.
5 - Yes, I am in fact a good speller.
6 - I do know an answer to most questions, especially since they often have such a simple solution.

Therefore I don't understand why you are having a go at me for being a good samaritan. I'm sure most people agree with me on this. And how can you possible acuse my tutorials of being "unuseful"?

I am not angry at you, I just think you were out of line on this one.

I hope we can solve this "problem".

Regards,

Korrupt

P.S: the reason I posted so much is because since yesterday, I only have internet every second weekend and every wednesday evening - I was merely trying to keep my average daily posts up to scratch.

Here is my HijackThis log file - it is an amazingly quik program, system scan complete in 3seconds... I'm sure I mustve done something wrong...

Anyways, thanks Howard. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Korrupt

korrupt said:
I hope we can solve this "problem".
All I was really saying,was that 80 + posts was a lot of posts.Which it was.

Not all of them can have been entirely necessary,given the previous posts in the thread.
I`m not saying they were wrong,but just occasionally,superfluous.
It`s just a forum etiquette matter really.
Please continue to be a good Samaritan.It is appreciated.

I didn`t say your tutorials were unuseful,indeed, some of them look
very useful.

The bit about the spelling was a private joke between me and Spike(he`s very literary,you see)
not aimed at you.:)

As the great HH would say -

Regards Peddant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back