Swapping an OLD Wireless Router with a New One

I work for a small business and prior to starting here in 2008 they had someone come in and install a wireless router which was placed in a drop ceiling in the front of the office near the lobby. Since then we have expanded and the signal does not reach the new conference room. So, having said that, I was thinking of attempting the following:
1. Swap out the old router for a new one
2. If that doesn't do the trick, adding WiFi access points.

What is the easiest (and not too tecky) for a person who has a little understanding of the technical world?Would this be as easy as it sounds?

Thanks in advance.. :)

Yes, the remove/replace is easy; you just need to match the SSID and wifi password.

As to area coverage of WiFi -- If you R/R, then get a good MIMO router (aka multiple antennas) like Netgear Nighthawk.

If that doesn't cover it, don't use an Extender or Mesh networks as they self-degrade as more nodes are added and users make access. Instead, the AP route is great, and with some thought, you can cover very large areas, including multiple floors.
  • ANY WiFi router can act as an AP, so pickup another Nighthawk (more on this in another post)
  • Pick the remote location to be covered and use EoP to get a wired connection to that location.
  • Then attach the second Nighthawk as an AP.
The EoP may be an issue in a commercial building. Withing the same room should be ok, but extending to other floors or rooms down the hall would need to be tested. The problem is how the A/C power is wired and the location of the distribution panel.

Great! Thanks for your quick reply. I'm glad to hear this R/R would be easy and the good news is, I know the wifi password. The bad news is, where do I get the SSID from? I vaguely remember setting up my home wifi router and I believe the SSID was a number printed on the router itself. Is that accurate? If so, do I need to use the SSID on the new router or the old router?
I looked into the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000).. Do you think this one would do the trick?

The SSID is what you see when you attempt to access any WiFi station. Protected routers show the lock and unprotected do not. YOU create the SSID as you please - - if you have many people using this access, it would be a kindness to COPY whatever SSID is being used now. Otherwise, feel free to create a new, obscure ssid and force everyone to ask for the new WPA2 passphrase.

Yes the R8000 is excellent.

Back