Swiched AMD Athlon CPUs and new one appears to be DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MB is Epox EP-8KTA3PRO, with 2/05/02 Award BIOS (latest version from Epox website). System runs Windows XP home SP2. The Athlon MP 1100 CPU works fine. Installed an XP 2000+ Palomino which Epox says is supported by MB, and system won't even begin to boot or show POST and monitor will not wake. After 3 CPU swaps back and forth with same result, and swap of video card, the old CPU runs fine, and the new one doesn't run at all. I believe the 2000+ CPU is dead. Any comments? Thanks.

Hmmmm?

orginal post JoeSpike
MB is Epox EP-8KTA3PRO, with 2/05/02 Award BIOS (latest version from Epox website). System runs Windows XP home SP2. The Athlon MP 1100 CPU works fine. Installed an XP 2000+ Palomino which Epox says is supported by MB, and system won't even begin to boot or show POST and monitor will not wake. After 3 CPU swaps back and forth with same result, and swap of video card, the old CPU runs fine, and the new one doesn't run at all. I believe the 2000+ CPU is dead. Any comments? Thanks.

I think we're needing alot more detailed info to better help ya out.

Have you try'd clearing the cmos?
It seems to me that your 1100 is running at a diff FSB and multiplyer
than the newer 2000+. There are others here that can better tell ya what
those settings are.
You need to refer to your MoBo book to get all
jumpers, dip swithes and bios settings correct for newer cpu to work.
G'Luck!

anything new?

I believe the 2000+ CPU is dead.
I hope not! that'd suck :(

Maybe try the cpu in a diff MoBo to check it off the list,
then maybe a more recent ver of bios from chip set mfgr.
btw what chip set is this board?got it (VIA Apollo KT133A AGPset)
G'Luck
keep posting back
we'll all try to help out

Thanks. I've replaced CPU with my XP1100 4X now, and each time it runs perfectly, so MB is not the problem. Flashed BIOS too.

I don't think a KT133(a) based board supports AthlonXPs, even less if the chip is a 0.13 part. I can't find any information about that board on the Epox website which probably means that they've dropped the support for that motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back