Switching from IDE --> SCSI hard drives on home desktop...good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Lo All,

I need to upgrade the HD space on my PC here, and was wondering if it'd be worth it to convert over to a couple of those shiny new 15000rpm SCSI drives (If it's pertinent, my motherboard is an Intel 875 / 2.4ghz and both hard drives are 18 GB 7200 rpm IDE's). A couple of quick questions:

1. Do I need a SCSI controller (the ones that I see selling on Pricewatch for about $25) to plug the "new" drives into, or is there a way to get them to work without this?

2. Is this even worth it; that is, will I see an appreciable increase in system performance once I've made the jump from 7200 IDE --> 15000 SCSI?

3. Anything else I should know about this whole scenario? Ostensible pitfalls/perks/etc.?

TIA for any responses...

P.S. I'll pre-empt any, "Newbies shouldn't mess with the inards of their computer"-style responses by stating that a friend will be doing the actual install/setup work...:)

the newer scsi run at 360 this means faster access
you will need a card that handles this speed plus the cables
price has come down some still very xpensive almost $2.00 USD a gb
SATA is cheaper and is almost as fast ,in most cases you will not see diff.
I think sata's run at 180 ( I dont use sata)
iede run at 133
warrentys on both are bout the same from 3 to 5 years
both support RAID most sata cards have this included
scsi cards don't you have to pay for that feature
if MB doesn't support sata you will need a card for it
only invest in scsi if you have critical systems and or run very intense app's
so if you want to upgrade and keep cost at min. go sata
if you are not up to task of boot issues with sata stick with iede 8mb cache 7200 rpm (I perfer Seagates)

The SCSI interface speed is 360, this does not mean that the drive would deliver data at that speed.

You do need a SCSI controller.

You will get some more performance and reliability out of SCSI drives but it is not worth the insane amount of money. Especially when you are not making a 3+ drive RAID array. Price to performance and price to capacity ratios point at (S)ATA drives.

I recommend getting SATA drives (and controller if needed) or fastest PATA drives you can find.

Are those numbers supposed to be 320 and 150 or am I thinking of different specs? IMO not worth the move to SCSI on a home PC unless you REALLY need it. BTW, a decent u320 SCSI controller card will cost you much more than $25

Thanks...

Ah, good; looks like I'll be saving some $$, then...

Is there any word on how soon 15000rpm SATA drives are going to hit the market?

No clue - but it will probably be a while since 10,000 rpm drives aren't that old. Raptors are only up to version II and I think that's mainly due to the need for increased storage space.

data rates up to 63.2 MBytes/sec, for U160 scsi maximum synchronous bandwidth to 160 MB/sec
u320 Transfer Rate 75 Mbytes per second doubling the clock speed of U160
SATA Avg. Sustained Transfer Rate Mbytes/sec greter tham 58
Data rates up to 150 Megabytes per second
ultra iede Avg. Sustained Transfer Rate again greter than 58 burst rates of 133 MB/sec
there is a ton of math if you want to get technical
boils dwn to disc speed size of disc connection speed and bus speed they all play a roll.
I PERFER scsi 's for lots of reasons important issue is my system does not support sata booting (I have 3 on 1 cable)
I have not even looked at sata systems ,soon they will be sata 2 out
with data rates in gb .
I don't know the failure time on them .I'm more up on scsi
for most people if your system will boot from sata at the current prices
thats what I would buy
Good Luck

You forgot to include one of the most important specs that distinguishes SCSI drives - I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back