System bleep upon emptying the recycle bin in Win200pro (dual boot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teleport

System bleep upon emptying the recycle bin in Win200pro (dual boot) HELP!!

I have just reconfigured my computer to dual boot win98 and win2000pro using this excellent guide

https://www.techspot.com/articles/dualboot/index.shtml

The problem is that now when I empty the recycle bin from windows 2000pro the system speaker beeps.
This is letting me know there's a problem right?

My system spec is

AMD 800mhz Athlon K7T Processor
Microstar MS-6330 (K7Tpro) Mainboard (latest drivers and BIOS)
512MB SD RAM

20GB Quantum Fireball (7200rpm) Hard drive - PRIMARY MASTER
partitioned into one 10GB(fat32) with win98 on and one 10GB(ntfs) with win2000 + Apps on

30GB (7200rpm) Hard drive - SECONDARY MASTER
partitioned into one 20GB(fat32) and one 10GB(ntfs)

Freecom CD+RW - SECONDARY SLAVE

Any help would be much apprieciated as this is the only problem I seem to be having.

Thank you

Is it not as simple as turning off sound notification upon emptying Recycle Bin?
Control Panel -> Sounds and Multimedia -> then just going down to empty recycle bin and setting the sound to "(none)"

Not that simple.

It's not comming from the speakers plugged into my soundcard.
It's comming from the system speaker attached to the motherboard. You know, the one that bleeps when you switch the machine on.

I'm going to have a look in the BIOS to see if I can disable it from there.

But I still can't see why it's bleeping when I empty the recycle bin as It doesn't do it on my Work PC.

I hope it's not the sympton of a problem with my system.

I am pretty sure you can set it up to use the internal speaker beep. Did you check those settings that were referenced? That is an option in case someone doesn't have a sound card, they can still hear important notices from the PC speaker.

same problem here...

Hey teleport, I know that post was a few months ago, but did you ever figure out why it was doing that? I'm getting the same problem, also dual booting win98 and win2k pro. Actually, it's not only the recycle bin beeping, but all system sounds seem to not work automatically. Well, all the wav files are in the WINNT\Media directory, and they play just fine when going to the Sound settings in Control Panel. All other sounds on the computer work perfectly too, but no system sounds work automatically by themselves at all. And that annoying recycle bin... yes, I know what you mean by the motherboard speaker beeping every time I go to empty it. It got so annoying that I disabled it altogether o_O Still though, I'm also trying to find out why the system sounds started giving me problems.

I'm running on an AMD at 1.0 ghz, with 640mb ddr ram. I don't think that has anything to do with it though, as it originallly worked. I'm using a Vortex 2 sound card... what are you using as yours?

I'm thinking some software may have interfered with it rather than hardware though. It happened right after I installed McAfee VirusScan and Winamp 2.81. Are you using either of these programs, or were you in the process of installing either of them when you started getting the problem? Let me know if you still check these forums. Thanks!

I eventually found out that the system is supposed to bleep under win200 when you empty the recycle bin (it does do it on my work machine. I just couldn't hear it as it was under my desk)

So I just removed the bleep from my installed hardware. And now glorious silence :)

Sorry but I can't help with other sustem sounds as I haven't noticed any probs.

LOL now you've pointed it out I probably will.

Good Luck

Weird... maybe only in some installations, because mine originally didn't bleep o_O Something just made it that way. Ah well, at least I disabled it =P

this is long overdue but i just searched and hit this thread in something, so someone else might hit it and find my reply useful:)

I think what you can do which is the easiest is to pick up tweakui from microsoft.com powertoys and install it and then it has a 'beep on errors' option somewhere in there. This makes it beep on all kinds of things, for example hitting backspace in some shells when you are at the start of the prompt. It uses system beep for these events and not the sound system. So, when I remove the recycle bin sound, I end up with the default beep. When I go to tweakui and deselect 'beep on errors', no more beeps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back