System Fans Spin After Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrifterViper

Hey all.

Been having this problem for a long while now. Just started up suddenly and can't remember if it occurred after installing a software or if it's something hardware related. Any help is appreciated.

Problem:
After I shutdown the computer, maybe 2-3 minutes later, all the fans (PSU, CPU, Rear + Side case) start spinning; the hdd led flickers; and if my speaker system is on I can hear a flickering sound on there too (kinda hard to explain the sound). This continues for about 8-15 seconds and then it all stops, then after another minute or 2 it starts up again and stops. This continues unless I turn off the PSU power switch.

Also, the rear case fan (think 80x80, it's the smallest size that'll fit since there's 2 mounting hole levels above that one) went out yesterday after I air cleaned the system. I went and got an Arctic Cooling 12 PWM fan to replace it, but the connectors seem to be totally different (Arctic seems to use 4 pins while I can only see 3 pins on the Mobo) so that one doesn't work. But a while later I retried the rear fan and it seems to work for now. Dunno if something was lose of it it is truly dying.

I don't know if it's my Mobo (ASUS K8N) or something else. Only things I've upgraded since I purchased this system about 4-5 years back, was the ram. Upped it from 1 GB (2x512) Kingston Value Select to 2 GB (2x1GB) OCZ Platinum.

Again, any help is appreciated. Would go for a new system if I had the cash :( but least for another few months, at the earliest, I'll have to wait.

It sound like either a PowerSupply issue
Or your HardDrive or CD Drive is causing it
You could try disconnecting the CD Drive ATA data cable (obviously computer off first). It's difficult to tell though, because it may even be software!

Something similar to this happened to my family's old computer. The computer would start to boot- the fans, hdd, and lights would pop on for a few seconds, and then it would power off, and repeat the cycle, and it turned out to be an issue with the powersupply.

Thanks for the help. I put in a brand new Thermaltake 430W PSU and it seems to be working fine now. Hope I don't need to do any further updates/upgrades to this comp, as I said it's 4+ years old now and already switched the PSU, rear case fan, and upgraded to OCZ 2 GB (2x1gb) Platinum ram. Pro-longing my purchase of a new system till I can afford the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back