System Freezing or Restarting upon game start

Status
Not open for further replies.

EternalMydnyt

Ok im at the end of my rope. I honestly dont know what to do from here. I had closed my original thread because i thought i solved the problem but its back just as bad as ever.

Heres the deal. My system works just fine... as long as i dont try to run any game made within the last... oh say 10 years or so. Fallout 1 and 2 work, as well as my GBA, NES, and SNES Emulators. I can run all the non-game programs I want just fine, having Yahoo, AOL, MSN Messenger, and Skype running all at once is a cynch...

Then I try playing a game made since the turn of the millenium.

Fallout Tactics, Civilization 3, and City of Heroes are the culprits to be precise.

The game loads up then within 1-3 minutes of being fully loaded either my computer freezes up so hard i gotta hit the power button on my tower to turn things off... or my system just decides to restart.

The tricky thing is, like i mentioned before, I had thought I fixed things. I discovered something wrong with my motherboard drivers so I deleted and reinstalled them. Then City of Heroes loaded just fine, I played it for bout 4 or 5 hours then shut it down feeling happy things were working.

Later that evening it was back to freezing and restarting again.

Somebody please tell me that you have some idea whats going on. Im posting some information here for anyone willing to help.

---System information gathered by CoH Helper version 0.1.1.8---

DxDiag gathered at March 16, 2010 20:32 (-07:00)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)
System Manufacturer: VIAK8M
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Central Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 766MB
.Net Memory Report: 373MB out of 766MB available
Page File: 1461MB (411MB currently in use)
C Drive: (WDC WD800BB-55JKC0) 53051MB out of 76308MB (69%) free
D Drive: (AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO) zero-size drive
E Drive: (LGD VO9M78D6RG SCSI CdRom Device) zero-size drive
Windows directory location: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DirectX Diag version: 5.03.2600.5512 (32-bit version)

Display Notes: No problems found.
Sound Notes: No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
Input Notes: No problems found.

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor's Max Resolution: 1600,1200
Video Device Name: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Manufacturer / Chip: NVIDIA / GeForce 6200
Video Memory: 256.0 MB
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.9621
Driver Date: 1/11/2010 9:03:33 PM
Driver Language: English

Sound Device Description:
Driver File:
Driver Version:
Driver Date: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

WMI Information
Motherboard Manufacturer:
Motherboard Model: (empty)
Motherboard Product: K8M800-8237
Motherboard Version:
BIOS Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS Name: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
BIOS Version: VIAK8M - 42302e31
BIOS Release: 20060118000000.000000+000

When it restarts do you get any BSOD ?? If not please have a look at the following steps; because if you can post some minidumps it will very helpful.

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”; or in XP right click on My Computer, then Go to Properties.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" / "System Failure" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (64 or 128KB)" option is selected and Write an Event to the System Log is checked.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

One you have completed the above please follow these instructions:

Before proceeding any further please ensure that you can boot your system in safe mode.

1) Windows Key + R (or go to Start, then click on Run..)
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". When this occurs please post your new minidump (kindly zip them in one file and post here for analysis).

Please note that Driver Verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run (by going to Start, then to Run):

verifier /reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back