System Restore... locked..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raventops

Every once and a while we all get a doozy of a virus. Some of which, i've found, cannot be taken care of with system resotore. Sometimes the ONLY restore point available will be when you got the virus, so it seems the virus is preventing aanyway from being able to remove it.

Another problem i've encountered is atfer your computer boots back up from a restore, it says "Your computer could not be restores to this date"

This is DEFINETLY a result of the virus. In this case one time, I actually had to repair windows using my windows disc.

I would like to know if there is a way around this? Is there a way to get it working? recover your restore points?

Maybe give me some pointers on things like this.

I already know basically what to do, like killing processes, running hijack this, etc.. etc..

Any additional tips from the advanced (or even not-so-advanced) user?

Thanks in advance!

~Adrian~

Rather than rely on doubtful restore points, you should get some imaging software like Acronis TrueImage.
Take an image every week or so, takes between 10-30 minutes at the most and runs while you have a coffee or tea.
That way you can always restore your PC in also 10-30 minutes, if you ever get 'hit' by nasties.
For best results you should have a second harddrive for these backups, either internal or external.
If your partition is not too big, a dual-layer DVD-burner would also do, albeit a bit slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back