System wont switch off

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgetkeith

hi ive got a system that wont switch off windows shuts down but have to manualy switch off with 4sec hold on power button its an old gygabyte board and p3 chip the only thing that is different to before when it used to shut down is the case as ive built myself a new system and the wify has this old one i wanted my old case as it was custom painted etc we have tried a few new cases but all do the same windows shuts down but power supply and case fans keep running have to manualy switch off ,emailed gygabyte and they said it could be an earthing prob and to try the board etc out of the case is this poss as i have yet to try it. cant see this working as with all mobos they connect direct to case with mounting screws ie earthed .

hi yep have been through all that all the bios settings are the the same as before just cant seem to think what would cause this as i say the only difference is its in a new case and we have tried 2 or 3 and they all do the same the only thing i havnt tried is putting it back in the old case and i dont realy want to do that as its a lot of hassle to dissasemble both pcs and my new one is fine and dont realy want to disturb it any other ideas will try it on the bench out of case later and see if this works but as far as that im stumped.

as it's a new case, i can onlly assume that some connections may be wrong on the mobo

what i mean is the single wires that connect mobo to led's, speakers and off switch etc. that usually situate around the bottom end of the mobo. that is depending on mobo of course.

look at the start up programs

I feel that over 90% of our problems are caused by software. Additionally, I have built myself only 1 computer, so I do not recall if there is any cabling in the new case needed for the soft shutdown. I guess not.

However, in the past when I had this problem, I eliminated unnecessary programs from the start up. I reached my AH HA. Soft shutdown was back. My quest to find the guilty program failed me after re-enabling the entire complement of start up programs and soft shutdown continued to work. In only a matter of days, the problem returned. I accepted defeat and lived with the problem until I bought my new computer. This story is from a Win98 computer.

hi if you mean the case wires to board the only diff is there is the old case has seperate leds and the new cases that weve tried both have duel leds

may be grasping at straws, but is possible that it could be a driver problem, ie needs updating?

that is a poss but all have checked the gygabyte site and there are no updates for this board and running xp home updates are on and all installed will have to check the case wires again and see if there are any changes i can make the system has been running for a few weeks now and i keep saying i will try and sort it out for her , am just trying to find a quick fix rather than having to dissmantal it to fault find it looks like it coming out the case and on the bench wish me luck will let you know the results if i get it sorted .

that's sometimes the problem with 'new patches on old material' as sayings go.
don't give up yet, cos there are some clever techs on here. i will keep looking too.

I just answered another question about powerdown problems,so I`m going to recycle my
answer -

This is what did it for me.

"When Windows XP won’t powerdown automatically, the APM/NT Legacy Power Node may not be enabled.
To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View.
Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.”
If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node.
Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem.
Or, to check the other side of the APM/ACPI coin, open the Power Options applet in Control Panel.
If there is an APM tab, make sure the “Enable Advanced Power Management Support” box is checked. (MSKB 313290)"

Very good troubleshooting page HERE

Po`Girl said:
I just answered another question about powerdown problems,so I`m going to recycle my
answer -

This is what did it for me.

"When Windows XP won’t powerdown automatically, the APM/NT Legacy Power Node may not be enabled.
To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View.
Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.”
If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node.
Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem.
Or, to check the other side of the APM/ACPI coin, open the Power Options applet in Control Panel.
If there is an APM tab, make sure the “Enable Advanced Power Management Support” box is checked. (MSKB 313290)"

Very good troubleshooting page HERE

When Windows XP won’t powerdown automatically, the APM/NT Legacy Power Node may not be enabled. To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View. Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.” If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node. Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem (Tip from Terri Stratton). Or, to check the other side of the APM/ACPI coin, open the Power Options applet in Control Panel. If there is an APM tab, make sure the “Enable Advanced Power Management Support” box is checked. (MSKB Q313290)
this a quote from http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1035352006
please give credit to the person or location where you found it, eg (tip from Terry Stratton)
dont know which had it first though!

have checked so many things now im loosing touch with reality i think, looked at all power managment options you have mentioned and many more, also looked on the microsoft xp problems forums and some of the stuff ive seen on there that people have found that causes same glitch, could spend the rest of me days trying find the fault, so for now am just gonna have a little look ere and there an fingers crossed it dont take up to much time. by the way i took the mobo out of the case and bench tested it today with all the hardware connected still wont shut cpu cooler down so am starting to think it is a software prob with some of the latest xp updates that was not about when it all worked in the old case like i say the only thing that has changed is the case .i know what you are all thinking and it aint happening .my new system is staying put .........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back