T-Mobile halving soft cap from 10GB to 5GB tomorrow

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Heads up to T-Mobile customers that consume large amounts of bandwidth: the carrier is halving its soft cap. Starting tomorrow, T-Mobile will throttle data speeds for subscribers exceeding 5GB of usage per month, which is down from the previous 10GB limit. Customers who pass the 5GB threshold will receive a T-Mobile text message notifying them of the reduced speeds.

The company says its new policy will affect less than 1% of its users, and those with throttled bandwidth can expect speeds to return to normal at the start of a new billing cycle -- or until they hit the 5GB mark again, anyway. "Customers will continue to have Web browsing capabilities but at slower speeds, which will be determined by their device type," the carrier said.

We assume premium smartphones will be afforded with more bandwidth than standard freebie feature phones, but the company didn't elaborate on that last part. You can track your usage online by logging in at my.t-mobile.com and clicking "monitor use." It's also worth mentioning that T-Mobile first announced this change in April, so customers shouldn't be too surprised to see it take effect.

Permalink to story.

If it's only 1% then why bother capping it.. right?

Tomorrow I will get my G2 update with tethering. They did this soft bandwidth cap for the preparation of the coming update. They secured themselves since if tethering is allowed for free then the 1% will grow dramatically.

Trust me.. it all make sense... just connect the dots!

I have them and refuse to drop them. They just gave me permission to have unlimited data with the first 5gb at full speed. Oh yeah, let me go to at&t and get a tiny 2gb and pay up my nose for overages. Go with verizon? They don't have a phone with a 4.3 inch screen that can do both windows mobile, android, and even ubuntu. Beats the crap out of the sprint evo!

"They don't have a phone with a 4.3 inch screen that can do both windows mobile, android, and even ubuntu. Beats the crap out of the sprint evo!"

HD2 FTW!!!

Heh here in the Uk we used to have unlimited (no really you could download like 50 gigs ) but people started putting there sim cards in dougles and torrenting, apparently thinking you can't be caught downloading on a mobile contract... FAIL

Back