Task Manager and REGedit will not work HJT log attached plz plz plz help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I noticed that my laptop would not load the task manager when I pressed ctrl+alt+delete. Also Regedit wont load either it closes. I downloaded a backup for regedit and task manager to help me evaluate what was going on with the processes that may be causing problems.

I ran ad-aware in safemode and was able to remove some bugs however i'm still having problems. furthermore when I set msconfig to start windows in a diagnostic mode I get my functions back. Please take a look at my HJT Log and help me repair my machine. I cant find my windows disks other wise I would do a complete system recovery.

I was up till 3am last night searching for the fix to the problem but was not able to fix the problem.

My HJT log is attached.

Thank you vearry much for your time and consideration.

x robbie

never post your email in a public forum!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

I had the same problem, i.e. taskmgr wouldn't open by Ctrl+Alt+Del, and got the same error when using run and noticed my computer was a lot slower than normal and my battery was lasting a shorter time, and msconfig wouldn't run either!

[CENTER]Solution[/CENTER]
Try going into C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\ and in the folder there should be a task manager icon which opened the manager for me.
Interestingly, my CPU usage is contantly 100%, 98% of which is winupdates.exe. Ending winupdates.exe immediately gave me control of task manager via Ctrl+Alt+Del and immediately ending the process my CPU's fan went down 2 levels.

It must be something to do with SP2. If you do still have access to msconfig in the run command just go into the startup tab and deselect winupdates.exe and reboot. That may solve your problem. But terminating winupdates.exe and then going into msconfig worked for me.

Hope that helps,

Kyle.
(kyle.strachan@blueyonder.co.uk)

Task manager not working

I don't at all like running auto update for any program. It takes too many resources and interferes with whichever program I'm in; it can even cause a loss of data, lead to a freeze, or crash the system. Also, if there are undiscovered trojans, virus, worms or malware on a computer, they can take that opportunity to connect to home and no one is the wiser because the slow down is attributed to an update running. I have better overall control by doing updates manually once or twice a week followed by cleaning out the trash and defragging. This way if my system slows down or something doesn't open I know immediately that something is at work that shouldn't be, which substantially cuts down on diagnostic time. Try turning off your auto updates for a couple weeks (but don't stop downloading them altogether!) and see if you like the improved performance and access.
Biscuit

Kyle_Boywonder said:
I had the same problem, i.e. taskmgr wouldn't open by Ctrl+Alt+Del, and got the same error when using run and noticed my computer was a lot slower than normal and my battery was lasting a shorter time, and msconfig wouldn't run either!

[CENTER]Solution[/CENTER]
Try going into C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\ and in the folder there should be a task manager icon which opened the manager for me.
Interestingly, my CPU usage is contantly 100%, 98% of which is winupdates.exe. Ending winupdates.exe immediately gave me control of task manager via Ctrl+Alt+Del and immediately ending the process my CPU's fan went down 2 levels.

It must be something to do with SP2. If you do still have access to msconfig in the run command just go into the startup tab and deselect winupdates.exe and reboot. That may solve your problem. But terminating winupdates.exe and then going into msconfig worked for me.

Hope that helps,

Kyle.
(kyle.strachan@blueyonder.co.uk)

hey u guys helped my out a lot, I was about to reformat my entire computer. thank god for this site it helped my a lot!@! good job guys (or girls maby!). :D :hotouch: :giddy: :chef:

P.S. sorry about the smileys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back