Taskmgr does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE HELP!!

Ctrl-alt-del does not bring up taskmanager, nor does clicking on it directly in the WINDOWS file as it states another program is using this file. However if i copy and paste it onto the desktop it would appear to work.

However i have other symptoms such as being unable to remove an external USB drive..."try again later".

I have run procexp and it would appear dllhost.exe is using taskmgr. Regedit won't work either.

I have attached my HJT scan lon...could someone please prevent me from throwing the computer out the iwndow

Thank you

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have moved your thread to our Security and the Web forum.

your system is infected with a variety of malware and you`re running an outdated version of HijackThis.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Jamieribolla only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

sounds like you got some sort of malware or virus in your system, a lot of times when task manager is not opening it really is opening but it closes so fast often times users don't notice this. Not being able to unplug your external usb drive is also a sign that something is using it. Only thing I can suggest is do a full virus check on your system (obviously update before you do this) then check for malware with different kinds of adaware programs out there. Often times one adaware software can detect malware that others can't. Another thing to do is check the IE manage-addon (you will find it under 'tools' in IE), look at each entry and make sure anything listed there isn't malware, if your not sure what is what... google it and see if its legit or not. If its not disable it. See if this helps.

EDIT: DAMN! howard is FAST with the responses!!! :eek: LOL!

OK....I've done a full virus check and removed 2 pieces of adware and 1 trackware.

I've then used xoftspySE and fixed all probelms. I've also used Regcure and done likewise.

I've gone through the add-ons in IE and all seem legit having checked on Google

Restarted my computer and still the same symptoms...the computer's getting closer to going out the window!!!!

What next?

Unless you follow the instructions and post the requested logfiles, I can`t help you.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Jamieribolla only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Another thing you can do is go to msconfig and disable everything on start up. Perhaps the culprit can be stopped by preventing it from starting up. Be sure to analyze each item in msconfig before disabling them, you might need some. If you have problems, recheck the items. Other then that try out howards thread and see what kind of results you get. Obviously doing a fresh format will solve your problem. But thats a last resort.

N!Sung: While disabling everything on startup in msconfig would seem to be a good idea, it has certain drawbacks, one of which is it can hide the presence of malware from logfiles. Obviously, that can cloud the issue, where I tell someone their system is clean, when in reality it`s not.

It`s far better to enable everything in msconfig`s start up, post the logfiles and get rid of the offending malware permanently.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back