Tech Fail! Biggest Flops of The Last 10+ Years

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/guides/511-tech-fail/]https://www.techspot.com/guides/511-tech-fail/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Add to the list Windows 8 already... And call me a prophet!

I wouldn't jump in on that one just yet.
If its the interface that drives this comment, I think they have done an ok job in melding a "Touch" interface with the more "Traditional" input methods.

The problem with ME and Vista were actual technical limitations and poor coding.

Only time will tell :eek:

No doubt you'll get a plethora of "you forgot this" comments, so might as well add mine to the list now. ;)

Betamax.

Yeah I had some fun playing soul calibur on sega dreamcast with my friends in high school in 98-2001, only one person I've ever met owned one. Almost the neo geo of its time.

Good list. Thankfully I only had three on the list. Vista, Dreamcast *sniff*, and DRM.

After Windows Vista SP1 I left XP and never looked back.

I'm surprised the ZIP drive was never mentioned

This and the Betamax comment. When we said 10+ years (and after looking at the content) we meant from 2000 to the present. Those other products are way, way older and belong to an article of tech fails of all time.

I have no idea why Android is on there. I replaced my iPhone and iPod Touch with Android. Samsung is cleaning up with all of their Android devices. Android's are way better in that you can install anything, add a 64-128Gb SD card, replace the battery, comes in any size, has USB ports and so much more. Plus, it syncs your Gmail account and contacts.

Android is not on the list, Android tablets are, along with the TouchPad, Playbook and other tablets that are not the iPad... which I guess makes sense. Android smartphones are a different story, those have been truly successful.

Good article! Glad you mentioned DRM-- didn't see that one coming. Also surprised about the inclusion of Android tablets, but I'd have to admit that the iPad does seem much further along than the competition.

Wut, DC had Power Stone 1 and 2 and other games. Any platform that can play Power Stone = win -_-

You reminded me of Windows Me! You are bad, very bad, very very bad!
tongue.png

It was loaded up on my first ever PC....still remember that sample video which came along with it which had a child playing in a park or something and that funny giggle he had.....and those intro videos for Windows Me as well...they seemed awesome at that time!! <3

Some products are unfairly labeled as "failures".

Good products have failed in the past due to the fickle nature of the "masses".

The popularity of COD and Apple products are fine examples. These products are wildly popular but have little or no substance.

Perception has become more important than what actually is.

I have no idea why Android is on there. I replaced my iPhone and iPod Touch with Android. Samsung is cleaning up with all of their Android devices. Android's are way better in that you can install anything, add a 64-128Gb SD card, replace the battery, comes in any size, has USB ports and so much more. Plus, it syncs your Gmail account and contacts.
I think the point is not in the failure of making a better product as many products on this list didn't necessarily have anything technically wrong with it. Unfortunately, android users don't have a high demand for the tablet experience. Besides branding and first to market, I think tablets just appeal more to the type of person that flocks to Apple. I'm 100% an android person who does actually own a HP touchpad with android installed, but I don't hardly use it at all. Android users are more often power users and would rather play games on PC and consoles which severely limits tablet appeal IMO. And I'm definitely not saying all android users are like this, just saying thats my guess as to why android tablets can't catch a good market share.

Putting Android devices in a list doesn't make them a flop, it just sounds like your wish list. In countries with smarter people android tablets outnumber iPads and are widely used even in schools, not only for entertainment.

The Sega Dreamcast and HD-DVD format did not fail because they were bad products. I'm not entirely sure they should be on this list.

The Sega Dreamcast and HD-DVD format did not fail because they were bad products. I'm not entirely sure they should be on this list.

They didn't fail technologically but failed in their respective markets. It's the same if you go further back to betamax for example. It was actually a superior product to VHS. If I remember correctly when the HD-DVD vs Bluray battle commenced I think the reading I did pointed to HD-DVD as the better format.

The Dreamcast is one of my favourite consoles of all time (along with the SNES), didn't really deserve to flop. There were some truly innovative games: Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, MSR, Phantasy Star... unlike all this rehashed crap like CoD 17 or whatever.

I'm pretty sure HD-DVD failed just because of the silly tongue twisting name. Blu-ray just sounded cooler.

Back