Tech Tip: Quick Guide to Running Linux From a USB Drive

Erik

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/guides/809-run-linux-from-usb-drive/]https://www.techspot.com/guides/809-run-linux-from-usb-drive/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

psycros

Thanks for this piece..I'd been curious about checking out some new distros after a long while. As is (still) typical with Linux, I hadn't come across a nice step-by-step guide to making a bootable USB distro. I'd never even *heard* about the LinuxLive option which seems very cool. Even after all these years the lack of simple, easy-to-find info on installing and using Linux is STILL its single biggest obstacle for mass adoption.

misor

Thanks for this piece..I'd been curious about checking out some new distros after a long while. As is (still) typical with Linux, I hadn't come across a nice step-by-step guide to making a bootable USB distro. I'd never even *heard* about the LinuxLive option which seems very cool. Even after all these years the lack of simple, easy-to-find info on installing and using Linux is STILL its single biggest obstacle for mass adoption.
Ubuntu Linux can be run from a cd.

RenGood08

I use VMPlayer and run most of my virtual machines on it. I have a back-up PC that is Linux. I have an external hard drive that is jam packed with a bunch of things I use. I recently got a second one from school. Might put all my VMs on that one and primarily school work and miscellaneous things on the other lol.

G

I've been running Mint from an external drive for years now. Wonderful tech tool.

G

As someone who often has to fix other people's PC's, having a copy of GNU/Linux on USB stick is invaluable.

When Windows users see how easy and safe to use Linux is, they want me to install it for them ;)

Cycloid Torus

Sounds like there might be a promising technique for rescuing or salvaging a hard drive. Do any of these distros provide tools which would be helpful with a NTFS drive?

TheDreams

I was going to try it out, but when tails(ISO) was downloading on my computer when it was about finished I got error downloading, thoughts?
Redownloading now