TechSpot PC Buying Guide: 1H 2023

I don't see the need for 850 watt PSU in a 7800X3D + 4070 build, personally I would rather go with a 4070 Ti and save elsewhere. 20-25% higher performance with the Ti.

Look at the "value box", full of components with awful value. You do not need a $100 case and $100 PSU for a value build. You don't need a $160 PCIe 4.0 SSD that has negligible real-world performance advantage over PCIe 3.0 drives. You can also get a cheaper cooler (Thermalright Assassin) and a A620 board instead. That's $200+ savings with negligible reduction in performance, which you can then put into a better GPU, which will be a vastly better experience.

Also, TechSpot itself has literally just made articles about how 8 GB cards are struggling in modern games, and the author here chooses a 6650 XT? Instead of wasting money on components that do not affect performance, you should be getting at least a 6700 XT, and with the $200+ wasted as outlined above you could even go up to a RX 6800 with 16 GB.

When I'm building a PC for value, I'm going to max out on the CPU/GPU and get the cheapest possible rest of the components. This usually means I can go up a tier on the GPU let's say, who cares about an expensive PC case with RGB LEDs all over the place. I can upgrade those quality of life components later as I please.

I hate to say it, but the X3D processors just are not worth it. You could save $130 going with a RX 7700 and losing only about 15% in performance. But remember, this performance is only available when the GPU can push those numbers, pairing it with a 4070 buys you practically nothing at 1440p/4K. Get the 7700, only get X3D if you are getting top end GPU and even then, it's probably not worth it.

Next on the list is the Case (get the NZXT Flow for $90 like the budget machine) and PSU (650 Watt EVGA) both of which could be significantly cheaper allowing you to purchase a 7900 XT or 4070 Ti with the same cash. The Ryzen processors are so efficient, you do not need more than 650 watt PSU unless you are going with a 7900 XTX or 4080 or above.

I have been running a 3080 with a 5800X (i7 9700K before platform upgrade) on an EVGA 650 Watt PSU for 2.5 years now with no issues, including 5 fans, 3 SSDs, and a AIO pump. I'm not recommending it for the 4080, but 650 Watts is probably fine for that too if you are going with Ryzen vs. Intel.

Last edited:
OK, is it just me, or why are you showing a pic of a computer with an Nvidia GPU but your parts list calls for an AMD GPU? And is that an SLI configu in the high-end build?

I see plenty of opportunity in the higher end builds to shave cost or put more dollars into parts (GPU) that will have more impact. The case choices are good cases, but you can get a good case for less than the choices here. Same with the PSU, good choices, but cheaper options are available.

When I'm building a PC for value, I'm going to max out on the CPU/GPU and get the cheapest possible rest of the components. This usually means I can go up a tier on the GPU let's say, who cares about an expensive PC case with RGB LEDs all over the place. I can upgrade those quality of life components later as I please.

That's one approach to building a value machine which makes a lot of sense. However we always put these builds together so you have different choice of components and you are free to mix and match (e.g. faster CPU/GPU from one build with less expensive case/PSU from the previous one). We've been doing these for over a decade now and that's always been our approach, I guess we don't explain it anymore in the intro because it's been like that for so long.

Conversely, many builders will argue they only need a platform upgrade because they can keep the case and PSU from their current build, in which case you can see how it pays off to buy quality components that can last more than one generation if your budget allows for that.

OK, is it just me, or why are you showing a pic of a computer with an Nvidia GPU but your parts list calls for an AMD GPU? And is that an SLI configu in the high-end build?

I see plenty of opportunity in the higher end builds to shave cost or put more dollars into parts (GPU) that will have more impact. The case choices are good cases, but you can get a good case for less than the choices here. Same with the PSU, good choices, but cheaper options are available.

Photos are meant to showcase the cases first and foremost, but I can see how we can update that one you refer to. All our picks are supported by our best of guides which are updated regularly with more choices for cases, CPUs, GPUs, speakers, monitors, etc., but this is where we put some builds together targeting a certain budget.

I built the high end gaming version but slightly pumped up with rather over the top board and memory and storage etc. Having just set it up today the Seasonic Vertex GX I used has some squeal, possibly coil whine and I have a sad face now :-(

snip

Photos are meant to showcase the cases first and foremost, but I can see how we can update that one you refer to. All our picks are supported by our best of guides which are updated regularly with more choices for cases, CPUs, GPUs, speakers, monitors, etc., but this is where we put some builds together targeting a certain budget.
Yea, I get it, there are so many parts to choose from, many of them good. Personally, I tend to consider overall cost and will put more money into the CPU/GPU than the case/fans etc. Everyone has to build to their own budget and requirements. I like balance, not just gaming, but I also like quality over lowest price. These days it's hard to get everything you want at the price you want.

$1100 for a gaming pc with only a 6650xt that pretty weak. I built a 4k 60 gaming pc for $950 with a radeon 6800Xt and a ryzen 5600. You dont need a faster cpu than that it your only going for 60fps. much more powerful macgine for $150 less

That's one approach to building a value machine which makes a lot of sense. However we always put these builds together so you have different choice of components and you are free to mix and match (e.g. faster CPU/GPU from one build with less expensive case/PSU from the previous one). We've been doing these for over a decade now and that's always been our approach, I guess we don't explain it anymore in the intro because it's been like that for so long.

Conversely, many builders will argue they only need a platform upgrade because they can keep the case and PSU from their current build, in which case you can see how it pays off to buy quality components that can last more than one generation if your budget allows for that.

I value and appreciate Tech Editors courage to publish such article as this PC buying guide.
Because, for sure, you also open Pandora Box and is quite hard to please all, or the majority of readers.
Even so, I found this articles helpful, because is designing a frame, a starting point from where you can start and improve your new PC build.
And maybe this is the idea, any build from this article is a working project which can be used rather as a model, a starting point, which help readers to design their personal PC builds.
Thus, finding the best components for your budget (wallet), making your PC build, your personal choices, will add the real value to your computer build. Also will help you to find the joy and fulfillment of learning and than building the best PC suited for your needs, preferences and wallet.
Keep posting these articles, because they will help more readers to learn and find out which is the best PC build for them.
Also, I find a great value in Forum-chat responses, because they often offer great or new solutions or ideas to any PC category build.

Last edited:
I had pretty bad luck with cheap motherboards. I would not go with a cheap PSU for that reason. Can't recommend cheap mobos.
Cheap ram and SSDs though, heck yea!

New AMD iGPUs are a gift for gamers with tight budget.
You can even go extra budget with new AMD cpu with igpu, new mobo, but used everything else from local offerup deals.
Then, if you decide to upgrade, you will have a very healthy base with current motherboard and current CPU.
That all does not relate to medium performance build, lots and lots of choices there depending on your preference. I , for once, never understood how people buy cheapest cases. I love good cases. I had plenty and they all were a pleasure to look at.

I had pretty bad luck with cheap motherboards. I would not go with a cheap PSU for that reason. Can't recommend cheap mobos.
Cheap ram and SSDs though, heck yea!
I'm not a fan of them either, but in these low budget circumstances I will take that risk. I never had major issues with "low quality" PSUs except fans that needed replacing. I had a higher quality PSU also with fan issues which makes me question how much of a difference there actually is.

The best value is the machine you build yourself. Also, don't skimp on the PSU if you want longevity, future upgrades, stable overclocking, and safety from frying the whole system.

I always buy Seasonic, personally. Always.

I don't see the need for 850 watt PSU in a 7800X3D + 4070 build, personally I would rather go with a 4070 Ti and save elsewhere. 20-25% higher performance with the Ti.
I can't disagree more. An 850W power supply doesn't cost that much more than a lower powered one and it's worth spending a little more on a power supply you can reuse for several upgrades.

I can't disagree more. An 850W power supply doesn't cost that much more than a lower powered one and it's worth spending a little more on a power supply you can reuse for several upgrades.
And here I'm using a 750 watt sfx platinum psu since then 3090 hybrid 9900ks since launch and now 4090 Suprim liquid x with 7700x at all core oc 5.65gz since launch. 😅 Living on the edge baby!

And here I'm using a 750 watt sfx platinum psu since then 3090 hybrid 9900ks since launch and now 4090 Suprim liquid x with 7700x at all core oc 5.65gz since launch. 😅 Living on the edge baby!
You are definitely living on the edge. A quick check at partspicker shows 600+ watts for that config, depending on memory and mobo options. Throw in a 7950X or X3D and you're over 700 watts.

You are definitely living on the edge. A quick check at partspicker shows 600+ watts for that config, depending on memory and mobo options. Throw in a 7950X or X3D and you're over 700 watts.
And yet a stable system since 11/2019. 🤔
When using PSU calculators all say I am within the limit as well.

The best value is the machine you build yourself. Also, don't skimp on the PSU if you want longevity, future upgrades, stable overclocking, and safety from frying the whole system.

I always buy Seasonic, personally. Always.
Some Corsair, Cooler Master and MZXT PSUs are made by Seasonic.

PSUs become worse and worse over time, and re-using it for several, more powerful (higher wattage) builds is not a good idea.

7800X3D and 4070 non-Ti can run on a quality 500 watt PSU without a problem. Nvidia recommends 600 watt, but they are talking OEM / pure garbage here. A quality 500 watt PSU will EASILY beat a no-name low-end 600 watt. Rail amps way better on high-end ones.

I don't see the new to do overkill on a PSU just to "maybe re-use" it for future builds.

Also, PSUs are more efficient when you are using them in the 70-80% range meaning running low watt parts on a 1kW PSU is not really that smart.. Waste of money on the PSU (overkill) and less efficient (more waste on top).

Last edited:
Some Corsair, Cooler Master and MZXT PSUs are made by Seasonic.
This does not mean Seasonic makes the best ones. Corsair uses many OEMs. Seasonic had plenty of faulty PSUs with issues and Focus series is really not good. I had two Seasonics failing and never had issues with Corsair ones so far - And I had like 10 from both brand. Both brands are generally great when it comes to PSUs. Right now I use Corsair RMx 850W and it has been rock solid for years.

Corsairs support is way superior to Seasonic. They send me cables for free - even no shipping - because I lost one. Thats good service... Seasonic on the other hand, almost tried to blame me for runing it last time :joy: they replaced it eventually tho.

Last edited:
This does not mean Seasonic makes the best ones. Corsair uses many OEMs. Seasonic had plenty of faulty PSUs with issues and Focus series is really not good. I had two Seasonics failing and never had issues with Corsair ones so far - And I had like 10 from both brand. Both brands are generally great when it comes to PSUs. Right now I use Corsair RMx 850W and it has been rock solid for years.

Corsairs support is way superior to Seasonic. They send me cables for free - even no shipping - because I lost one. Thats good service... Seasonic on the other hand, almost tried to blame me for runing it last time :joy: they replaced it eventually tho.
I didn't say they were the best. Though, I do think they tend to rate pretty highly. From what I've seen, and it's not exhaustive, is that Corsair tends to use Seasonic and Channel Well Technology for PSUs. There may be others and, of course, over time that can change.

I can see where Corsair could have better customer support as they have many more consumer grade products whereas Seasonic is largely a PSU manufacturer and often times for other companies, like Corsair.

Back