Telnet problem from XP to another XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

I tried to telnet from A- ->B,,,,,Both A and B are running XP Pro and no firewall.

On B I created username called jsmith, I added him to "Administrator" group (because there is no group called "TelnetClient" unlike 2000 and 2003 server)

I enabled Telnet session on B and I tried to telnet from A to B, I received this message:
You are about to send your password information to remote computer in internet zone . This might not be safe. Do you want to send any way [y/n] ?
,,,,If I typed in "y"

I received this error message :
Access Denied : specified user is not a member of telnet clients group. Server Administrator, must add this user to the above group. Telnet session has closed the connection
If I type in "No": I was able to access the B!!!! : OR,,,,if I typed in:

telnet 192.168.0.1 and double click (not single click ),,,(i.e. without waiting to see this message You are about to send your password information to remote computer in internet zone . This might not be safe. Do you want to send any way [y/n] ?),,,,,I was able to access the B as well.

I tried this scenario at lab at work with more than one group (I configured 4 groups , each group of 2 PCs).

telnet has a clients group? I've never really messed with telnet much, but that really doesnt make much sense. You attempted to connect, enter the username and password and it gives you that error?

Does your work have a Telnet server for extra security maybe?

Yes, very weird. You tell it to connect and it says you need to be added to the client group. You tell it not to and it accesses the computer?

Haha, not very safe.

XP <--> XP requiring a 'telnetgroup' is strange; I've see this under Unix/Linux.

the msg is of concern (or should be). Anyone monitoring TCP traffic will
be able to see your login/passwd

switch to SSH and you solve Telnet & FTP login issues :)

XP <--> XP requiring a 'telnetgroup' is strange
I am doing experiment, not for production environment.

the msg is of concern (or should be). Anyone monitoring TCP traffic will
I am aware of security implication.

switch to SSH and you solve Telnet & FTP login issues
I am doing experiment, not for production environment.

requiring a 'telnetgroup' ----
I am going to create this group, and see how it works, but what is the proper name for the the group ?

'TelnetUsers' or 'TelnetClients' or 'TelnetGroup' ?

Whatever you want i would think, theres no set name for a LAN Workgroup i wouldn't think there would be one for a Telnet Workgroup :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back