Tesla Cybertruck prototype spotted with a ludicrously long windshield wiper

mongeese

Staff
Cutting corners: A new prototype of the Tesla Cybertruck was captured in drone footage last week, prompting Elon Musk to criticize the concessions his company has made to make the vehicle street legal. Its enormous windshield, which is taller than it is wide, apparently requires a ludicrously long wiper to keep the rain off. A rough estimate would place its length at four or maybe five feet.

It’s not quite clear if the Cybertruck's wiper is a standard tilting wiper, or if it’s an "electromagnetic wiper" that moves side to side. Tesla’s original patent for the latter describes it as being able to fold down onto the bonnet when not in use, but that doesn’t seem to be the case for this prototype.

In a tweet, Elon Musk said that there was "no easy solution." He described a wiper that can be deployed from the front trunk as ideal, but probably too "complex." Some alternatives were brought up on Twitter but they were deemed too expensive.

The Cybertruck is meant to be one of Tesla’s more affordable vehicles. When announced, the single-motor version was priced at $39,900, the dual-motor at $49,900, and the tri-motor at $69,900. It’s now unclear if a single-motor version will arrive at all, but the base model is still expected to start at under $50,000.

In the drone footage, uploaded to YouTube, the Cybertruck does laps of Tesla’s test track in Fremont for about fifteen minutes, starting at 2:20. It slows down and shows its side to the camera at 5:20 and shows its front to the camera at 8:10.

A less dramatic concession to practicality is the presence of side mirrors. There has been some discussion around changing the law to allow for more vehicles to use cameras and screens in the place of mirrors, but not much has eventuated from it.

The Cybertruck is scheduled to enter production late next year, with the first round of deliveries expected either this time next year or early 2023.

Permalink to story.

The windscreen wiper is as long as the windscreen. Ludicrous.

This is still just like Homer Simpson designing his ideal car, except there's enough bootlickers and people in denial about their personal investment in Elon's persona that they're not willing to listen to the obvious: "This is just f'ing stupid"
Lmao, ok. Or maybe they just want a fast car with a nice interior that costs a fraction of a petrol/diesel car to run.

And why the hatred for Musk? He’s delivered universal satellite internet and massively innovated in electric cars, pushing the adoption forward. Or does none of that mean anything if he dared get stinking rich in the process? How will we ever fight climate change if anytime a billionaire makes progress we hate them for it?

Typical Musky design.

Lmao, ok. Or maybe they just want a fast car with a nice interior that costs a fraction of a petrol/diesel car to run.
Teslas are not known for their nice interiors.

And why the hatred for Musk? He’s delivered universal satellite internet and massively innovated in electric cars, pushing the adoption forward. Or does none of that mean anything if he dared get stinking rich in the process? How will we ever fight climate change if anytime a billionaire makes progress we hate them for it?
:facepalm:

OK, I'm re-posting this from the previous "Cybertruck" thread.
I'm also thinking I should change my screen name to "Nostradamus":

OK, so Musk announces the truck at a, "starting price of $39,000". but the truck that will be launched first, is the full four motor, crab walking, top of the line, flagship model.

Now, I haven't shopped Teslas recently, (nor do I intend to), but it seems to me that this version of the "Cybertruck", will be closer to $100,000, than it is to $39.000. ($69.500 being the median).

Musk was, is, and always be, a duplicitous piece of sh!t, and a liar. So, "rots a ruck", at $39K

That's only IMHO, of course. Y'all can worship him in any way you choose:

Perhaps, "Ave Emperator, emerituri, te salutan" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Damn, the DeLorean has been juicing!

Also, I don't believe for one second that this is the Tesla truck. When the video gets to 5:16, you can see someone through the windshield manipulating the steering wheel. No real Tesla vehicle would let a mouth breather touch its steering wheel.

Or maybe they just want a fast car with a nice interior that costs a fraction of a petrol/diesel car to run.

And (in America) where are you going to generate the power, required to keep these things charged up? Wind? Solar? Stored batteries?
The problem is wind isn't always blowing, the sun isn't always shining and stored batteries?
Well, see wind & solar.
With nuclear, coal, gas type plants, when the demand increases, you crank up the generating
capacity to meet the need. Hard to do that with "stored" energy.

I hope they still don't recommend changing them every 6 months because ouch $$$$
Here's the thing, if the outer tip of the blade has to travel twice as far, (and assuming the same blade cycle speed (**)), then the blades will only last half as long.

(**) Assuming that the vehicle*s) are traveling at the same speed, with equal droplet frequency per square foot, then those two factors can logically be considered "constants".

And BTW, you can't let those blades wear out and possibly scratch that enormous windshield. Think of the monumental repair bill for its replacement. :eek:

Musk is the best I've ever seen, at talking people out of money. He has no equal in this regard.

Other than that, he's so full of sh!t his eyes are turning brown.

In my recollection,, he's never made a release date he's promised. His satellite internet, while functional, is a massive amount of space junk waiting to happen.

He's benefited more from technological advancements, than he has contributed to them. As an example, all those fancy Falcon rockets, run on the very same RP-1, (kerosene) that powered the Saturn 5 to the moon.

As for his "landing.rocket boosters", instead of jettisoning them, he owes that all to the advancement of flight control systems and computers (**), none of which he's had one iota of input into the design. In fact, Space-X' successes are due to NASA being forced to "take space exploration into the private sector", which is a fancy way of saying they want the money they spend, off of the federal budget.

He's doing well with his battery "Mega-Factories" as well. He can thank Panasonic, in large part for that..(They pretty much fronted him the money).

He gets all his ideas for comic books, but he can sell them like nobody else on earth.

Bottom line is, he's a salesman, con man, and a grifter, but I do have to admit, he's possibly the best of those that's ever been.

(**) Model radio control aircraft systems have come so far in the last 50 years, it's actually difficult to wrap your head around. And yes, even with today's "toy" systems, you probably could land a rocket from space.

And BTW, if you don't think he's a manipulative, self serving, piece of crap, just think back when the FCC bagged him for stock manipulation, for insinuating he was going to take Tesla private.

Then there was the, "you can buy Teslas for Bitcoin", then all of a sudden, "you can't buy Teslas for Bitcoin", fiasco, which tanked that market for a while.

Last edited:
Here's the thing, if the outer tip of the blade has to travel twice as far, (and assuming the same blade cycle speed (**)), then the blades will only last half as long.

(**) Assuming that the vehicle*s) are traveling at the same speed, with equal droplet frequency per square foot, then those two factors can logically be considered "constants".

And BTW, you can't let those blades wear out and possibly scratch that enormous windshield. Think of the monumental repair bill for its replacement. :eek:
Wait till you get a rock chip in that windscreen. LOL

Musk is the best I've ever seen, at talking people out of money. He has no equal in this regard.

Other than that, he's so full of sh!t his eyes are turning brown.

In my recollection,, he's never made a release date he's promised. His satellite internet, while functional, is a massive amount of space junk waiting to happen.

He's benefited more from technological advancements, than he has contributed to them. As an example, all those fancy Falcon rockets, run on the very same RP-1, (kerosene) that powered the Saturn 5 to the moon.

As for his "landing.rocket boosters", instead of jettisoning them, he owes that all to the advancement of flight control systems and computers (**), none of which he's had one iota of input into the design. In fact, Space-X' successes are due to NASA being forced to "take space exploration into the private sector", which is a fancy way of saying they want the money they spend, off of the federal budget.

He's doing well with his battery "Mega-Factories" as well. He can thank Panasonic, in large part for that..(They pretty much fronted him the money).

He gets all his ideas for comic books, but he can sell them like nobody else on earth.

Bottom line is, he's a salesman, con man, and a grifter, but I do have to admit, he's possibly the best of those that's ever been.

(**) Model radio control aircraft systems have come so far in the last 50 years, it's actually difficult to wrap your head around. And yes, even with today's "toy" systems, you probably could land a rocket from space.

And BTW, if you don't think he's a manipulative, self serving, piece of crap, just think back when the FCC bagged him for stock manipulation, for insinuating he was going to take Tesla private.

Then there was the, "you can buy Teslas for Bitcoin", then all of a sudden, "you can't buy Teslas for Bitcoin", fiasco, which tanked that market for a while.
Thanks for stating the obvious, Captain.

Screw your customers, have your "autopilot" crash into parked, no less, emergency vehicles, telegraph phony announcements about your company that get you charged by the SEC and sanctioned by same, pretend you invented "hyperloop" when it was in the TV Series Babylon 5 years before you thought of it, use NASA patents free of royalties while getting corporate welfare for your space company, call a true hero diver a pedophile because he rejected your clueless attempts at trying to navigate a "submarine" through an extremely difficult passageway and get away with it, and what does this all lead to - Time Magazine naming you "Person of the Year" https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-na...M74JxPYiHNoVA_nWhWJeEFMyS8Hlft5fZBZKXx8Yilqm0
And I almost forgot, schedule a SpaceX launch a few days before a Tesla earnings announcement so, hopefully, no one will notice that Tesla performed like utter crap.
That's right, kiddies. Musky is someone you should all emulate. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Best looking vehicle since the Aztec!
I assume you're talking about the Pontiac "Aztec"'
1639427254817.jpeg
and not the Piper "Aztec"
26-9074-g-bkjw-piper-pa23-250--data.jpg

Although, the Piper will never be as pretty as the Cessna 310
C310R-GM-13sm-e1509648982557.jpg

Last edited:
Back