Tesla increases the prices of its vehicles by up to $6,000

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Tesla has once again increased the prices of its electric vehicles. The entire lineup of cars has been affected, with the long-range models being hit hardest. The largest price hike, for the Model X, is a massive $6,000.

Electrek reports that Tesla's online configurator shows price rises for select Model 3, Model Y, Model X, and Model S vehicles. The Model X Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive version got the most significant bump, jumping $6,000 from $114,990 to $120,990.

The Model S Dual Motor AWD Long Range's price increase was also high, going up by $5,000 from $99,990 to $104,990. The Plaid version of the electric sedan stays the same price: $135,990. Meanwhile, the Model Y Long Range and Performance vehicle prices jumped by $3,000 and $2,000 to $65,990 and $67,990, respectively.

Only one version of Tesla's most affordable car, the Model 3, has become more expensive. The Long Range version has gone from $54,490 to $57,990—a price increase of $2,500.

Tesla made regular increases to the price of its vehicles last year, but this marks the first hike of 2022. The company never gave a reason for implementing the new changes, though rising inflation along with more expensive raw materials and transportation costs are likely to be a major factor. Additionally, Tesla's backlog of orders stretching as far ahead as 12 months could mean the company is trying to account for more expensive future manufacturing costs.

Earlier this month, Tesla boss Elon Musk sent an email to company executives calling for them to "pause all hiring worldwide" and cut employee numbers by 10% following his "super bad feeling" about the economy. He backtracked recently, saying that total headcount will increase this year while salaried staff will remain "fairly flat."

Permalink to story.

Musk doesn't even need a reason to raise prices at this point. People will buy his products regardless. He has a track record of raising prices across his product stacks from EV's to solar to cells. This is normal by now. Barely news - but I'll still read it!

EVs are much more expensive to build than ICs.

"It currently costs much more to build an EV than it does one powered by a gas engine, Farley noted. The company's Mustang Mach-E electric SUV, with a starting price around $44,000 but can run much higher, costs about $25,000 more than a comparable Ford Edge gas SUV, he said. The battery cost alone is $18,000, and the charger adds another $3,000."

https://news.yahoo.com/ford-ceo-sees-electric-vehicle-182534058.html

"It currently costs much more to build an EV than it does one powered by a gas engine, Farley noted. The company's Mustang Mach-E electric SUV, with a starting price around $44,000 but can run much higher, costs about $25,000 more than a comparable Ford Edge gas SUV, he said. The battery cost alone is $18,000, and the charger adds another $3,000."

Earth-shattering news? Maybe? Because of the battery, that has always been the case. They have dropped drastically in price over the years because of better, cheaper tech but, yea, thanks for last century's news.

Earth-shattering news? Maybe? Because of the battery, that has always been the case. They have dropped drastically in price over the years because of better, cheaper tech but, yea, thanks for last century's news.
Unfortunately, I think many people would prefer to remain in some past century. Many seem to think that we should throw the advancements away and throw away what is currently on the market even though advancements are in the pipeline as we "chime in" on this thread.

As I see it, throwing away everything on the market, and just stopping further R & D, would ensure that humanity would stay in some past century instead of moving forward into the future.

Unfortunately, I think many people would prefer to remain in some past century. Many seem to think that we should throw the advancements away and throw away what is currently on the market even though advancements are in the pipeline as we "chime in" on this thread.

As I see it, throwing away everything on the market, and just stopping further R & D, would ensure that humanity would stay in some past century instead of moving forward into the future.
Many people want choices instead of having this green energy scam forced upon them.

Many people want choices instead of having this green energy scam forced upon them.
No one is forcing an EV on you, and, in the US, no one could force an EV on you. However, given that you are in the oil industry, I understand why you would feel that way, and would want to make it sound dramatic.

However, removing EVs from the market would lessen the choices available to those who want an EV.

If it is such a scam, why are we seeing things like this - https://www.newsweek.com/shocking-footage-thousands-dead-cows-kansas-heat-wave-tiktok-1716433

No one is forcing an EV on you, and, in the US, no one could force an EV on you. However, given that you are in the oil industry, I understand why you would feel that way, and would want to make it sound dramatic.

However, removing EVs from the market would lessen the choices available to those who want an EV.

If it is such a scam, why are we seeing things like this - https://www.newsweek.com/shocking-footage-thousands-dead-cows-kansas-heat-wave-tiktok-1716433
Cows die in heatwave during the summer. Cows freeze to death in winter. Must be global warming.

Cows die in heatwave during the summer. Cows freeze to death in winter. Must be global warming.
And it's still best to sit back and do nothing when all of a sudden the number of dead cows quadruples year over year?

Must be do nothing republicans:

winnie-the-pooh-disney.gif

Not to mention the environmental impact of what it takes to mine the Lithium for the batteries, reuse/disposal versus drilling for oil, producing fuel.

Ah the tired old trope that all "progress" regardless of tradeoffs is good and anyone questioning a single one of said tradeoffs (all tech has them) is luddite that hates all technology and progress of every kind.

-yawn-

Not to mention the environmental impact of what it takes to mine the Lithium for the batteries, reuse/disposal versus drilling for oil, producing fuel.
Ah the tired old trope that all "progress" regardless of tradeoffs is good and anyone questioning a single one of said tradeoffs (all tech has them) is luddite that hates all technology and progress of every kind.

-yawn-
And that trope Lithium Batteries bad, ICEs good 🥱 while conveniently ignoring all the other sources of pollution in the ICE chain. Refining, transportation to market quarts and quarts of lubricants, grease - it all generates pollution but ICErs seem to forget that it is all there nonetheless and pretend they have the high-road. :rolleyes:

Lithium batteries are on their way out. That is what progress is all about. In case you are wondering how progress works - You start out with an idea, and continue to make progress on it - not throw your hands up in the air and say, Gee, this first iteration is not what we want. Let's just give up. I could see where ICErs would do that since ICE vehicles are nearly at the end of their life.

As an example of only one avenue of research and development - https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/1...tery-promises-60x-increase-in-charging-speed/
ICErs feel free to trash it. I prefer to put my faith in countless programs like this, and human ingenuity, that are aimed at making things better rather than throwing my hands up and saying, "Its no good. You can't do that. Might as well stop right now."

And that trope Lithium Batteries bad, ICEs good 🥱 while conveniently ignoring all the other sources of pollution in the ICE chain. Refining, transportation to market quarts and quarts of lubricants, grease - it all generates pollution but ICErs seem to forget that it is all there nonetheless and pretend they have the high-road. :rolleyes:

Lithium batteries are on their way out. That is what progress is all about. In case you are wondering how progress works - You start out with an idea, and continue to make progress on it - not throw your hands up in the air and say, Gee, this first iteration is not what we want. Let's just give up. I could see where ICErs would do that since ICE vehicles are nearly at the end of their life.

As an example of only one avenue of research and development - https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/1...tery-promises-60x-increase-in-charging-speed/
ICErs feel free to trash it. I prefer to put my faith in countless programs like this, and human ingenuity, that are aimed at making things better rather than throwing my hands up and saying, "Its no good. You can't do that. Might as well stop right now."
So you're telling us EV's don't require lubricants eh. 🤔

Here is something else that's very interesting.
And something more these righties can lie through their teeth about, or do the Winnie the Pooh thing above at least. It just comes so easy and natural for them.

Mass produced Solid State battery as soon as 2024!

You righties, let me help you get started:

3d5wlx.gif

So you're telling us EV's don't require lubricants eh. 🤔
Maybe he is. The lubricants in my Focus EV are all synthetic. Probably won't be too long until no petroleum is needed at all.

Here is something for you all to write to Fox "News" about.

Last edited:
Back