Tesla's Autopilot is being investigated after nearly a dozen first responder scene crashes

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) has opened a preliminary evaluation of Tesla’s Autopilot system. The report notes that most incidents happened after dark and involved typical scene control measures like first responder flashing lights, road cones and illuminated arrow boards. All of the Tesla vehicles involved were confirmed to have been in Autopilot or Traffic Aware Cruise Control mode when the crashes occurred.

According to the ODI’s summary, it has identified 11 instances since January 2018 in which Tesla models of various configurations have encountered first responder scenes and subsequently struck one or more vehicles involved in the scene.

Collectively, the crashes resulted in 17 injuries and one fatality. Three of the 11 crashes occurred in California.

The investigation involves the SAE Level 2 ADAS system (Autopilot) on Tesla vehicles from 2014-2021 of the Model S, 3, X and Y variants, which spans approximated 765,000 total vehicles. It will specifically look at the tech and methods used to monitor, assist and enforce driver engagement when using Autopilot. Investigators will also look at the Object and Event Detection and Response (OEDR) of Teslas while in Autopilot mode.

Maybe it’s just me, but wouldn’t it be wise to… I dunno, take your Tesla out of Autopilot mode when approaching a first responder scene? Sure, self-driving tech still has a long way to go, but at some point, shouldn’t personal responsibility factor into the equation?

Tesla is coming off of its strongest quarter to date, despite shortages related to the supply chain. Just last week, however, the electric automaker announced that its upcoming Cybertruck had been pushed back to 2022 due to unspecified circumstances (likely the ongoing chip shortage).

Image credit Campbell Jensen

Permalink to story.

Maybe it’s just me, but wouldn’t it be wise to… I dunno, take your Tesla out of Autopilot mode when approaching a first responder scene? Sure, self-driving tech still has a long way to go, but at some point, shouldn’t personal responsibility factor into the equation?
(y) (Y) No It's not just you, but so long as these people see controlling their car with a toy is fun, or worse, cool, I don't see a future with that line of thinking, unfortunately.

I don't get the obsession\pride with NOT doing my own driving.
Driving is a rush for me.

My car has 710 Horsepower and my enjoyment comes from controlling it myself.

Last edited:
(y) (Y) No It's not just you, but so long as these people see controlling their car with a toy is fun, or worse, cool, I don't see a future with that line of thinking, unfortunately.

I think you nailed it with "cool" in the first paragraph of your post.

That is not a car my friend, that is a Rocket you have there...how much for a trip to the moon and back

It's the other way around, the obsession with "driving" is the weird one. Why do you even need a 710hp?

Self-driving cars will replace in the next few decades regular driving and this is a good thing.

Maybe it’s just me, but wouldn’t it be wise to… I dunno, take your Tesla out of Autopilot mode when approaching a first responder scene?
Wouldn't the driver have to be awake to accomplish such a magnificent frat of common sense?

Beyond that, is it possible the AI in the cars has developed epilepsy?

Photosensitive seizures are triggered by flashing or flickering lights. These seizures can also be triggered by certain patterns such as stripes. Photosensitive seizures can fall under several categories, including tonic-clonic, absence, myoclonic and focal seizures.

It's the other way around, the obsession with "driving" is the weird one. Why do you even need a 710hp?

Self-driving cars will replace in the next few decades regular driving and this is a good thing.
People like to "feel". If you don't like it you're the weird one.

People like to "feel". If you don't like it you're the weird one.
"Feeling" can be done once in a while, what you are describing is all the time. Are you high on "driving" all the time?

It's not like you won't be able to drive when automated systems become common, you just are confused and think that driving will be replaced entirely. That won't happen in a generation or two (maybe in in the year 2100?).

And if you want a "rush/feel" there are other ways you can get it (and no, it's not drugs).

Automated cars are happening and you can't stop it anymore. And that's a good thing for everybody in the world.

Seriously though, you being SO against it is just a symptom of a lot of misunderstandings on your part (it's all or nothing for you it seems, you don't see what's in the middle). --> this is why you are "weird", not because you want to feel or something similar.

Last edited:
Kind of a loaded question, brother. Does any passenger car "need" even 150 Horsepower?

But to your question I have always loved powerful vehicles, but it has never been the top priority. I have had the same make\model car since 2002 (2003 model year) and my current is the 5th one. I love the cars and always will. In fact I still have my 03 and 2011. Factory power is secondary, though I did chip it, which boosted the power to a 710 HP average.

Last edited:
"Feeling" can be done once in a while, what you are describing is all the time. Are you high on "driving" all the time?
What am I describing at all? I'm just saying people enjoy driving, kinda like people enjoy walking or riding a bike. It is common. Didn't say anything about all the time vs. once in a while. Are you high?
It's not like you won't be able to drive when automated systems become common, you just are confused and think that driving will be replaced entirely. That won't happen in a generation or two (maybe in in the year 2100?).
Quote me where I said automated driving will replace driving entirely.
And if you want a "rush/feel" there are other ways you can get it (and no, it's not drug
If I want to feel rush of driving I will drive, you're not gonna tell me what I should to instead.
Automated cars are happening and you can't stop it anymore. And that's a good thing for everybody in the world.

Seriously though, you being SO against it is just a symptom of a lot of misunderstandings on your part (it's all or nothing for you it seems, you don't see what's in the middle). --> this is why you are "weird", not because you want to feel or something similar.
How did you come to a conclusion that I am against it when I didn't say I am against it? I know, you made it up in your mind cause you're mentally ill and you like imagining things and arguing against things you imagined. What even is this?

Self-driving cars will replace cars today like cars replaced horses. You can still have fun with horses but your daily commute would be just tedious if you were to horse around.

What am I describing at all? I'm just saying people enjoy driving, kinda like people enjoy walking or riding a bike. It is common. Didn't say anything about all the time vs. once in a while. Are you high?

Quote me where I said automated driving will replace driving entirely.

If I want to feel rush of driving I will drive, you're not gonna tell me what I should to instead.

How did you come to a conclusion that I am against it when I didn't say I am against it? I know, you made it up in your mind cause you're mentally ill and you like imagining things and arguing against things you imagined. What even is this?
You are doing the exact same thing to others, so yeah, you'll see others telling you what to do. You don't like it? Well, you'll just have to tough it out just like how you'll have to get used to self driving cars.

"Quote me where I said automated driving will replace driving entirely." - I don't need to quote that, it was a presumption I made based on how obsessed you are with driving and just how against you are self-driving cars (obviously). It's like you think you won't get to drive your 2000HP cars anymore. (can you notice the sarcastic tone in my writing?)

You are doing the exact same thing to others, so yeah, you'll see others telling you what to do. You don't like it? Well, you'll just have to tough it out just like how you'll have to get used to self driving cars.

"Quote me where I said automated driving will replace driving entirely." - I don't need to quote that, it was a presumption I made based on how obsessed you are with driving and just how against you are self-driving cars (obviously). It's like you think you won't get to drive your 2000HP cars anymore. (can you notice the sarcastic tone in my writing?)
All I've noticed is that you're implying I said things I didn't say.

All I've noticed is that you're implying I said things I didn't say.

I think he's confusing you're reply to him with his initial Quote from 'scavengerspc'

"...I don't need to quote that, it was a presumption I made based on how obsessed you are with driving and just how against you are self-driving cars...

This is definitely an assumption on my part, but I think you're mixing up 'scavengerspc', the guy you originally quoted, with 'Nobina' who simply replied to your first post..

In relation to the actual content in this article all I can say is that having recently gotten my license and a Car to drive I absolutely love driving. I can't say that I could put 100% trust in a computer driving me, I would be comfortable being awake and able to take control at any point but I definitely couldn't use it to sleep, not that I can sleep in cars to begin with but that's besides the point.

Back