Tesla's Cybertruck will be smaller and have a better suspension than originally promised

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: As an off-roading enthusiast, I'm particularly interested in seeing how the Cybertruck handles mud and water. Tackling sand dunes is one thing but how about fording small streams or bogging through some deep mud? Will the batteries be able to keep water out?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed some additional details about the company’s upcoming all-electric Cybertruck this week on Twitter.

For starters, Musk said they are working on increasing the dynamic air suspension travel of the Cybertruck for better off-road performance. “Needs to kick butt in Baja,” Musk added.

When unveiled back in November, Tesla said the Cybertruck would feature an adaptive air suspension with self-leveling capabilities to conform to most any environment or scenario. Furthermore, the suspension can raise and lower four inches in either direction to help make loading cargo into the bed less of a challenge.

When asked what the biggest change to the Cybertruck would be from prototype to eventual release, Musk cited a size reduction by three percent. Specs accompanying the truck during the unveil noted it was 231.7 inches long, 79.8 inches wide and 75 inches tall.

The production model will also have a more level center line and the window sill height will be lower, he added.

These changes are not likely to impact the aesthetics of the Cybertruck much but could lead to a more well-rounded vehicle.

Permalink to story.

Electric cars are a great idea.

The execution up till now has been ridiculous, expensive and terrible.

No offence but, we are taking the long route to solutions in solving the planets problems.

Too much red tape, and all in the effort to milk more money from stuff we do not need.

The problem is cars are expensive, and thats money. Public transport is rubbish, and pricey day in day out, but its been privatised in the UK, and privatisation as you can see from health care in the US is fecking stupid, again to make money, to F all of Joe public in the butt.

The way we live needs to change drastically and faster. We need to stop building our cities and towns up. They were started by people who had no concept of where we were heading, and the infrastucture we are currently using is outdated. We need to rebuild from the ground up. Which in itself would bring money to the economy. Better homes and towns where public transport is cheap and a doddle to use. No need for personal vehicles. Or jeez bring in electric vespas.
The only electric vehicles should be transport for goods from harbors to depots / stores, for service vehicles.

Once this virus has done the favor of culling the population we should rebuild smarter. Think ahead.

An example of slow progress. Walkers crisps in the UK cant use paper instead of plastic for their bags at least until 2025 they said, something stupid. So, close them down, F them off. You wanna make stuff with non reusuable materials, then GTFO.

Why is everyone so hell bent on letting the rich people define the path, which only leads to our ultimate demise.

This is an electric vehicle meant to help with the environment. The fact that everyone is so keen to get the world back to "normal" proves no one actually cares, areas with 55% less polution, and people want to go back to the before time, the long long ago. Thats a Darwin award right there.

No offence but, we are taking the long route to solutions in solving the planets problems.

Too much red tape, and all in the effort to milk more money from stuff we do not need.

The problem is cars are expensive, and thats money. Public transport is rubbish, and pricey day in day out, but its been privatised in the UK, and privatisation as you can see from health care in the US is fecking stupid, again to make money, to F all of Joe public in the butt.

The way we live needs to change drastically and faster. We need to stop building our cities and towns up. They were started by people who had no concept of where we were heading, and the infrastucture we are currently using is outdated. We need to rebuild from the ground up. Which in itself would bring money to the economy. Better homes and towns where public transport is cheap and a doddle to use. No need for personal vehicles. Or jeez bring in electric vespas.
The only electric vehicles should be transport for goods from harbors to depots / stores, for service vehicles.

Once this virus has done the favor of culling the population we should rebuild smarter. Think ahead.

An example of slow progress. Walkers crisps in the UK cant use paper instead of plastic for their bags at least until 2025 they said, something stupid. So, close them down, F them off. You wanna make stuff with non reusuable materials, then GTFO.

Why is everyone so hell bent on letting the rich people define the path, which only leads to our ultimate demise.

This is an electric vehicle meant to help with the environment. The fact that everyone is so keen to get the world back to "normal" proves no one actually cares, areas with 55% less polution, and people want to go back to the before time, the long long ago. Thats a Darwin award right there.

Coronavirus needs to kill off a couple hundred million before it has a real impact on population. Estimates are that over 350,000 babies are born daily. Covid's elimination of fewer than 250,000 isn't stopping upwards growth.

EV's right now are in no way "helping the environment".

First of all: Energy comes from the sun whether we use it or not and is either collected via solar panels, transformed into chemical energy by plants or just absorbed by Earth and animals as heat.

Lithium mining is dirty and ruins ecosystems.

EV are supposed to help people save money. Just like hybrids, they were a reaction to skyrocketing oil prices under the Bush administration's Iraq war/ Katrina.

We have no shortage of electricity as most electricity is produced as a byproduct of burning fossil fuels.

To really help the environment we have to accept exploiting it up-front via mining and then moving to nuclear power after we find a desolate place to dump nuclear waste that won't poison the water table. Some desert would be nice, but the terrorists make it difficult to store it without it being hijacked to be used as a dirty bomb.

You bit on privatisation could also go hand in hand with telecommunications in the UK. Thatcher made BT sell off the fiber side of the business because she was trying to make the market fairer. She literally put the UK 20 years behind in broadband infrastructure. At the time fiber was cheaper than copper, the UK and BT were pioneers. Privatisation does work sometimes but some things shouldn't be due to lack of investment and public interest/benefit.

All I want to know is, how much later the delivery date will be than when originally promised, and if Tesla will summarily transfer people's deposits to the "down sized thingy"?

All I want to know is, how much later the delivery date will be than when originally promised, and if Tesla will summarily transfer people's deposits to the "down sized thingy"?
Your "down sized thingy" mirrors my thoughts - that Musk will probably end up releasing the CyberTruck as a Matchbox truck by the time it actually hits the market if even that.

IMO, Musk is proving that his mouth is bigger than his brain.

Your "down sized thingy" mirrors my thoughts - that Musk will probably end up releasing the CyberTruck as a Matchbox truck by the time it actually hits the market if even that.
That's kind of harsh even by my standards, (which are quite low with regard to little Elon).

I envision the turd being downsized, with the same sticker price, years later than originally promised.

IMO, Musk is proving that his mouth is bigger than his brain.
Not true. Musk is the sharpest pencil in the box, when judged against the rest of the world's grifters.

Lithium mining is dirty and ruins ecosystems.
And yet EVs, even powered by the dirtiest of coal plants, are still cleaner over their lifetimes than vehicles powered by an ICE.

I don't know where you get your propaganda, but science does not support it.

https://thedriven.io/2019/12/09/are-evs-cleaner-than-ice-coal-grid/
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/icct-analysis-evs-are-cleaner-than-ice-vehicles/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/energy...an-driving-on-gasoline-everywhere-in-america/
https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-numbers-are-in-and-evs-are-cleaner-than-ever
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...ars-even-when-the-electricity-comes-from-coal

Is that enough links to convince you that your straw man is total :poop: or need I post more?

Oh wait. I guess it must be that attitude you project of "if it costs the most, it must be the absolute best" that has caused cerebral edema. :facepalm:

While a truck was the obvious next step in Tesla's line of vehicles, I'd *highly* recommend their next vehicle be something unique like a flying "motorcycle" (picture a passenger-sized drone or self-balancing "Star Wars Speeder Bike" with front & rear fan blades.)

Tesla won't survive if they simply try to be an "all-EV" version of Ford.The Big-3 have deeper pockets.

I'm old enough to remember when Texas Instruments made the first 16 bit home computer (the TI 99/4A) then got into a price war with the VIC-20 (the Yugo of PCs.) Neither survived.

Why do the ergonomics look like something out of the 60s? All the other Tesla models are so much more ergonomically shaped.

The stylist studied origami, not transportation design.
Or is it meant to be a stealth shape to defeat radar speed traps?

That depends on perspective, I guess. :laughing:
I bet if the cerebral edema, as evidenced by his comments here on TS, becomes excessive, Musk will offer him a job.

Wait. Maybe that is what he is trying to accomplish??? ?
I have a plethora of observations and opinions, most of which I fear, if published, would be removed by staff.

In the meantime, why don't you just go ahead and try to read my mind? You should know me well enough by now, to form at least a very well informed guess.

Back