Tesla's latest update adds a full self-driving visualization preview, better voice commands,...

Polycount

Staff
What just happened? Tesla is ringing in the holidays with an incredibly meaty software update for its vehicles. The update has been in the works for some time now, but it's finally out now. It brings an early look at Tesla's full self-driving (FSD) tech, the new and improved "Camping Mode," and various "smart" features.

Let's start by digging a little deeper into the FSD preview, as it's simultaneously the most exciting and disappointing part of this update. For those who don't know, Tesla's existing set of "Autopilot" features include support for things like automatic lane switching on highways, parking (perpendicular or parallel), braking, exit detection, and steering.

For some time now, the company's website has promised two other long-awaited key features: the ability for Tesla cars to "recognize and respond to" traffic lights and stop signs, as well as automatic driving on city streets. With today's update, your Tesla can finally detect these objects -- which you can verify by toggling on the FSD visualization preview in your Autopilot settings -- but it will not react to them yet.

Consider this preview as less of a functional change, and more a way for Tesla to prove that it is indeed making progress towards FSD tech in its cars. Tesla's website still promises that FSD options, including automated city street driving and stopping, are arriving this year. However, given that January is just under a week away and this is the only progress users have seen so far, those statements will probably be modified soon.

At any rate, a somewhat-mediocre FSD preview is far from the only feature arriving with today's holiday update. Other improvements include a completely "rebuilt" voice command system which can now understand "natural language" (such as "Open the glovebox," "Let's go to work," or "Call David Lewis"), the ability for Tesla cars to read text messages aloud (you can also respond to them with your voice), and Camp Mode.

Camp Mode is nothing too special by itself, but it can automate several things at once. For example, with one toggle, it can regulate your car's airflow, temperature, lighting, and music playback, which lets you kick back and relax (or even sleep) in your car with minimal effort.

Tesla's latest update is also bringing two new games -- the fantastic pixel-art farming sim Stardew Valley and Backgammon, specifically -- and "TRAX," which is effectively an in-car music production suite. Of course, you can only access TRAX and these new games while your vehicle is in park (sorry, passengers).

Permalink to story.

Is this "preview" of your death from a lane divider or decapitation from a semi trailer? Or something entirely new? Detection of your death of it driving through red lights?

Is this "preview" of your death from a lane divider or decapitation from a semi trailer? Or something entirely new? Detection of your death of it driving through red lights?
Not sure what you are talking about but Tesla when driving with Autopilot "on", has the least amount of accidents of any car ever made per miles driven, and in the rare occasions that it got into accidents it is the safest car to be in one - as tested by NHTSA it has the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested.

Not sure what you are talking about but Tesla when driving with Autopilot "on", has the least amount of accidents of any car ever made per miles driven, and in the rare occasions that it got into accidents it is the safest car to be in one - as tested by NHTSA it has the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested.

How would you like to be the guy who was killed by a computer malfunction? New Darwin's Award: "Death by computer"

"least amount of accidents". lol. It's pretty easy to show they are "safest" if the company denies their own system is what is killing these people - placing blame on the driver. You can make anything look good. I also wonder how many of these miles were in real-world conditions, such as bad weather and poor lane markings. The "probability of injury" has nothing to do with the self-wrecking feature, but nice try. We are also talking about a car that's $140,000+.

How would you like to be the guy who was killed by a computer malfunction? New Darwin's Award: "Death by computer"

"least amount of accidents". lol. It's pretty easy to show they are "safest" if the company denies their own system is what is killing these people - placing blame on the driver. You can make anything look good. I also wonder how many of these miles were in real-world conditions, such as bad weather and poor lane markings. The "probability of injury" has nothing to do with the self-wrecking feature, but nice try. We are also talking about a car that's $140,000+.
If you do not believe it you are free to drive a car without those features. Your choice :) They are basically safety features that reduce the risks. And as more time passes it will become more safer so rapidly that maybe in 2020 there will be no people dead in Tesla cars anymore at all.
Also the car I am talking about cost $35 000-45 000.

If you do not believe it you are free to drive a car without those features. Your choice :) They are basically safety features that reduce the risks. And as more time passes it will become more safer so rapidly that maybe in 2020 there will be no people dead in Tesla cars anymore at all.
Also the car I am talking about cost $35 000-45 000.

I am not free to drive without these cars with computers that will have errors. It is not their right to beta test their cars at our safety risk. Don't forget not just people in these cars, but others around them. It is clear you don't understand how unreliable computers are. I work with them every day.

"no people dead" LOL, just a couple words lost you all credibility.

I am not free to drive without these cars with computers that will have errors. It is not their right to beta test their cars at our safety risk. Don't forget not just people in these cars, but others around them. It is clear you don't understand how unreliable computers are. I work with them every day.

"no people dead" LOL, just a couple words lost you all credibility.
Cars have had computers since the 80s and this was the most reliable part in them dude. What are you talking about. Computers are more reliable than humans and this fact is older than the world. Are you suggesting that there is going to be hardware failure that you are afraid of? Because the Tesla computer is also redundant... There are 2 separate nodes that alone can drive the car.
And remember at some point you will not be allowed to drive non autonomous car on the public roads because it will be too dangerous. Prepare for that :)

Cars have had computers since the 80s and this was the most reliable part in them dude. What are you talking about. Computers are more reliable than humans and this fact is older than the world. Are you suggesting that there is going to be hardware failure that you are afraid of? Because the Tesla computer is also redundant... There are 2 separate nodes that alone can drive the car.
And remember at some point you will not be allowed to drive non autonomous car on the public roads because it will be too dangerous. Prepare for that :)

"Dude" - you know that they can't even figure out how to make infotainment centers to work? These "computers" from the 80s are basically a chip. It is the utmost basic of designs. You know what? They fail too. I guess you have never run diagnostics or been a mechanic? That is evident. Most of my family and some friends are all mechanics at high-end car dealerships. I also work on my own cars. There are cars all over the side of the road if you have not noticed... These new computers are so complicated and millions of lines of codes that they fail more often than older cars. Not to mention physical failures like a bird or rock hitting a sensor. Factor on that the extremely complex nature of trying to interpret data with how many sensors and cameras they are trying to put on them? Do you have any idea how easy it will for something to fail? Heck, people can't even check their car for bald tires. You think they are even going to maintain these? lol

So, you are one of these people who want to take away my freedom to drive? I guess you want to take away my guns and make government have complete control? What am I supposed to "remember" about not allowed to drive? Remembrance is about something in the past. LOL... It's not going to happen in my lifetime for the above reasons. This is going to happen about like how everyone thought we would have flying cars by now. LOL

You are one of the advocates of people dying because of these cars. There are a lot of people that would still be alive today if it weren't for shoving these cars on us at our safety risk. How would you like to be the next one to test any of these failures? Let's put you in the passenger seat and simulate a failure going around a sharp turn on a rocky cliff. No?

Back