Tesla's next in-car software update will include classic Atari games

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Through the looking glass: The ability to play racing games using your car's actual steering wheel is immensely cool and takes the term "racing simulator" to a whole new level. With a few additional tweaks, it wouldn't be a stretch to transform a Tesla into a true gaming accessory.

Tesla has a long history of adding Easter eggs to its in-car software and its next update looks to be the most ambitious – and fun – yet.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk recently announced on Twitter that software version 9.0 will include some of Atari’s best classic games. Musk didn’t share the full list of games coming in the update but did say he hopes to include Tempest, Missile Command and Pole Position in the release.

With Pole Position, a racing game originally released in 1982, players will use their vehicle’s steering wheel. No word yet on whether or not the pedals will come into play.

Presumably, other games would be played using the infotainment center’s touch screen or maybe through a linked wireless controller.

Perhaps Musk was inspired by the French car enthusiast that turned his Lamborghini Aventador into an Xbox controller to play Forza 7?

Musk also put out a call to developers interested in making games that “integrate the center touch screen, phone & car irl.”

While it’s easy to dismiss retro games as little more than a quirky Easter egg, Musk may be on to something here. Most modern infotainment systems now feature sizable displays and could easily support basic gaming apps.

Lead photo via Salwan Georges, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

Sooooooo ..... he can't fix the autonomous driving function they boast about, but he can put in distracting games to make your crash more memorable? I see why his stock holders are in an uproar .....

And remember kidz, if you see a Tesla on the road with you, always stay a healthy distance away from it. The driver might be involved in a heavy session of "Pole Position", and have the "Auto-Pilot" engaged....:eek::eek::eek:

Although who knows, the car might be ion GTA mode, and be hunting nuns to run over!

Sounds like they are putting this in so that the driver will not become bored while letting the autopilot not drive the car. Not drive the car since it is well-known that when people do not pay attention to the autopilot warnings, they invariably end up crashing and sometimes getting killed.

Maybe this would be good for kids as passengers, but one would think that would be almost as distracting as playing it yourself while driving.

I would love to take my Oculus into my car play a modern racing game (while parked in the garage) instead of relying on on a janky racing seat/steering wheel combo at home.

Sooooooo ..... he can't fix the autonomous driving function they boast about, but he can put in distracting games to make your crash more memorable? I see why his stock holders are in an uproar .....

The Tesla system is driver assist and nothing more.

Did I oversleep until April 1st 2019?
Yes, and in doing so, you missed the biggest opportunity of your life, putting a deposit on a Tesla surfboaed.

But wait, there's still fate to be salvaged and good news to be found. If you bide your time until April 1st 2020, you'll be able to put a deposit on a Tesla surf board with Auto-Pilot AND a gaming console! (y);)

Last edited:
One would hope that it would not be possible to play the game while the car's engine is on or while the car is moving. It sure would be fun if the car was driving at 50 mph while you were playing and the car suddenly returned control to the driver.

It sure would be fun if the car was driving at 50 mph while you were playing and the car suddenly returned control to the driver.
With the current state of Tesla's auto pilot system, some would argue the car never had control in the first place. You have to admit, it's hard to relinquish what you never owned in the first place...:D

The Atari classics. Still the champions.
And they can all be yours for 68 bucks, without the purchase of a $50,000 dollar Tesla:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779JXNV9/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20

81xlxYvBNML._AC_.jpg

I am waiting for Tesla smartphone. Musk promises to make it much more better than Job's iPhone. Let's see!

Back