TFT monitor with vertical lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
I accidently dropped my monitor whilest carrying it down very steep stairs. After that it now has vertical lines across the screen. Also there's a part of the screen that looks darker. When you first turn on the monitor this area is small but then it goes bigger.

Is this repairable? Is it likely that I would have to replace the lcd module itself? It's a good few years old.

I suspect it also has an issue with the light source as well because sometimes it has trouble lighting up the screen. But generally as it heats up it's brighter.

To be honest I'm getting a new one but am just curious. Also I've always had an interest in electronics. Also is repairing this potientially dangerous? It's only 12V and at less than 5amps.

For what you can buy monitors for these days, it's cheaper to replace-unless it's some sort of big screen. If you see vertical lines, that tells me the module is gone, which over time, LCD's do that anyway.

The only danger in It wold be in messing with the circutry for the cold cathode, while the monitor was on. Cold cathodes have an inverter that increases the voltage to somewhere between 60 and 100 volts usually, which could potentially be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back