The Asus ROG Phone 5 will have 18GB of RAM, according to benchmark

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: Remember when smartphones used to have less memory than PCs? That's been changing over the years, with many handsets jumping to 4GB, 10GB, and 12GB. The Asus ROG Phone 3 was one of the first to feature 16GB; its successor, the upcoming ROG Phone 5, looks like it will come with even more: a massive 18GB.

The ROG Phone 5 launches one week from today—you can watch the countdown on Asus' website. Being a gaming phone that's part of the ROG line, the device packs plenty of power, including a Qualcomm 888 SoC and dual-cell 6,000 mAh battery. It was expected to feature up to 16GB of RAM, much like its predecessor and some Samsung flagships, but it looks set to become the first phone to boast 18GB.

A Geekbench entry spotted by MySmartPrice reveals the ROG Phone 5's 1,113 single-core score and 3,468 multi-core score. It also shows that the handset will come with Android 11 out of the box and 18GB of RAM.

Based on previous Geekbench entries, it's likely that the phone will be available in multiple configurations that include 8GB, 16GB, and possibly 12GB, along with 512GB or 1TB of internal storage. The Asus ROG Phone 5 is also likely to use UFS 3.1 storage and LPDDR5 memory.

Other specs include a triple rear camera setup featuring a 64MP main snapper, 6.78-inch screen, a strip-like secondary screen on the rear, 65W fast charging, ultrasonic shoulder triggers, and dual USB Type-C ports.

The Asus ROG Phone 5's launch event starts at 6 AM EST on March 10.

Permalink to story.

That’s actually ridiculous and only because Android can’t swap programmes in an out of active memory. Poor operating system design leads to consumers buying ridiculous amounts of RAM. By contrast the latest iPhone only has 1/3 this amount (6GB) but is significantly faster.

That’s actually ridiculous and only because Android can’t swap programmes in an out of active memory. Poor operating system design leads to consumers buying ridiculous amounts of RAM. By contrast the latest iPhone only has 1/3 this amount (6GB) but is significantly faster.

I wouldn't call iPhones Significantly faster. Both Android and iOS have been running on chipsets that are already so fast that slowness is rarely observed. Which is why even the aged Snapdragon 845 in my Phone still feels as snappy and fast as any new high end device. Storage Performance does more these days to make a device feel fast than the SoC. iPhones do have a better SoC

Android doesn't need this much RAM, and would also be just fine with 6GB. This is just Asus being wasteful.

But these days iOS is a bit more bloated and a CPU hog than a near bone stock android install. My Old Snapdragon 845 based oneplus phone is in many ways faster than my wifes new iphone se with its more powerful SoC. But really 90% of the time both devices are as quick as anyone would expect a device to be. Like I said before as long as something loads quick enough where your brain doesnt need to pause, it's fast enough.

I will say Android can get pretty bloated, just look at old samsung phones. They were one of the worst when it comes to background bloat.

Another day, another slabphone. Who cares what's inside?

Seems wasteful.
Wish someone would make a slider gaming phone like the sony xperia play back in the day. detachable/bluetooth controllers are a chore.
This is what the market actually wants but nobody wants to serve it. Manufacturers are too busy gaslighting the public that they actually want more iPhone clones.

I'm more excited about the dual USB-C ports, but if there is maybe a cheaper version of the phone with 12 GB RAM, that would be good too.

I wouldn't call iPhones Significantly faster. Both Android and iOS have been running on chipsets that are already so fast that slowness is rarely observed. Which is why even the aged Snapdragon 845 in my Phone still feels as snappy and fast as any new high end device. Storage Performance does more these days to make a device feel fast than the SoC. iPhones do have a better SoC

Android doesn't need this much RAM, and would also be just fine with 6GB. This is just Asus being wasteful.

But these days iOS is a bit more bloated and a CPU hog than a near bone stock android install. My Old Snapdragon 845 based oneplus phone is in many ways faster than my wifes new iphone se with its more powerful SoC. But really 90% of the time both devices are as quick as anyone would expect a device to be. Like I said before as long as something loads quick enough where your brain doesnt need to pause, it's fast enough.

I will say Android can get pretty bloated, just look at old samsung phones. They were one of the worst when it comes to background bloat.
Sure the iOS A series chips themselves aren’t say double the performance but I would still say it’s a fair amount faster. That coupled with software optimisation and the faster storage makes for quite a different experience.

Right now when I’m on holiday I use my iPhone/iPad to edit video and photo as it’s much much quicker than on my laptop. And when using Premiere Rush, comparing it to my mates S10 ultra (last time I was abroad was 12 months ago). My iPhone 11 Pro max is more than twice as fast at compiling and editing some 4K video samples taken on a go pro than the S10 ultra, maybe 3 times faster actually, it was significant. The S10 was also red hot by the end of it where the iPhone was still cool. If you can’t tell the difference between an older SOC and a modern one it’s because you aren’t using it. Most people don’t need all this power.

But my point was about Android being badly designed. It can’t “page file” applications. Everything needs to be loaded into active memory. And this is why these phones do have so much as there is a measurable benefit to having it. It’s just cheap engineering and also bad for the environment.

I’m sorry, but who the hell would be doing any serious gaming on a phone? Or, more like, what phone based game is that intensive? This just seems like a waste....

I’m sorry, but who the hell would be doing any serious gaming on a phone? Or, more like, what phone based game is that intensive? This just seems like a waste....
Phone games are so filled with micro-transactions that they aren't even worth seriously playing. What mobile game is actually worth playing? That's a serious question, someone tell me.

Are there even any mobile games out that would need that much RAM?

This just seems like a solution looking for a problem.

18gb of RAM but still no physical buttons. Emulators are essentially useless without physical buttons. Yes, they do have ginormous controller attachment. But mobile gaming should mean mobile. How is that giant controller mobile? It needs to be something that can fit in your pocket. Red magic has small joycon style controllers that fit in your pocket.

Back