The Best Laptops

I really can't express enough how good the XPS15 is, So much so that I have 2 now, Didn't even bother looking at the competition when I needed a second one, It's worth getting the larger battery and SSD, Mine will run for over 10 hours easily and probably more if you are only browsing or something.

Now if I was in the market for laptops like I used to be back in the day, that Acer Aspire would be the one I'd gravitate towards. It looks very decent for the price. That reminds me, I have an Acer Aspire just lying around here somewhere still in perfect nick that I haven't touched for a few years gathering dust. I'll donate it to a charity because I certainly have no need for laptops these days.

I'm honestly not too impressed by a list that only includes one laptop below $1000. There's plenty of people interested in that cheaper segment, yet there's only one recommendation. For example, what about 'cheaper', more portable laptops? Besides that, it still seems like a good article. Just expressing some wishes.

There's plenty of people interested in that cheaper segment, yet there's only one recommendation. For example, what about 'cheaper', more portable laptops? Besides that, it still seems like a good article. Just expressing some wishes.

Thanks for your feedback. The list may be somewhat top heavy (it is about the best laptops you can buy after all), but if you look closer, there are at least 4 machines under $1,000 mentioned:

The budget choice, the alternative Chromebook, the XPS 15 (starts at $999, though we don't recommend it) and the HP Spectre x360 which starts at $950. Even on the gaming side, our pick goes to the very expensive ROG Zephyrus but there's a mention of the Acer Predator Helios which is one of the most affordable machines you can get with a GTX 1060 inside.

Edit: Point taken, we added our runner-up for budget laptop as a good ultraportable choice, the Asus ZenBook UX330UA is just $699.

Last edited:
If only laptop's like Acer Aspire E5-575G were available in the past, a lot of people would not be suffering under the joke known as Intel graphics.

I really can't express enough how good the XPS15 is, So much so that I have 2 now, Didn't even bother looking at the competition when I needed a second one, It's worth getting the larger battery and SSD, Mine will run for over 10 hours easily and probably more if you are only browsing or something.
Any idea how it compares to the Spectre 360 15 inch?

It would have been nice if you had included a couple of tablets in your list for comparison. Oh well.....

I don't know, Sorry, All I can say is the XPS is perfect for me and my needs, The Spectre 360 15 inch looks good though, I guess it depends on your needs, For me it was browsing, coding, casual gaming and long battery life. I certainly don't need or want a 4k touch screen or the ability to fold the laptop right over.

I love my old XPS15. The current model has had a lot of complaints about build issues so just beware and make sure you have your bases covered if you get a dud (buy from a seller with good replacement warranty policy etc).

I love my old XPS15. The current model has had a lot of complaints about build issues so just beware and make sure you have your bases covered if you get a dud (buy from a seller with good replacement warranty policy etc).

I just got mine direct from Dell, So should be fine I hope... Not seen any build issues myself, In fact I have been quite happy with the build quality of both so far.

I just got mine direct from Dell, So should be fine I hope... Not seen any build issues myself, In fact I have been quite happy with the build quality of both so far.
The reddit sub for Dell is littered with complaints about hardware issues for the new model. Screen defects such as bad backlight bleed seem to be the most common iirc.

The reddit sub for Dell is littered with complaints about hardware issues for the new model. Screen defects such as bad backlight bleed seem to be the most common iirc.

Ill have to check it out, However both of mine seem fine... I wonder if it's worse on the 4K touch screen ? I noticed the other day that model wasn't listed anymore.

Ill have to check it out, However both of mine seem fine... I wonder if it's worse on the 4K touch screen ? I noticed the other day that model wasn't listed anymore.
Yeah I think it is mostly the 4k. Didn't know it was a touchscreen tho.

Double the processing power. This is due to having a Quad-Core I7 rather than Dual-Core. The graphics performance is also almost 3x because of the Pascal Nvidia card GTX 1050

Now if I was in the market for laptops like I used to be back in the day, that Acer Aspire would be the one I'd gravitate towards. It looks very decent for the price. That reminds me, I have an Acer Aspire just lying around here somewhere still in perfect nick that I haven't touched for a few years gathering dust. I'll donate it to a charity because I certainly have no need for laptops these days.

That's a great idea!

Back