The FDA says don't try this TikTok challenge of cooking chicken in NyQuil

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Not for the first time, a government organization has issued a warning over a new online trend that sounds too stupid to be real. The latest TikTok craze putting people's lives at risk is the "sleepy chicken" challenge. It involves cooking chicken in NyQuil or another over-the-counter cough and cold medication, presumably to eat it.

The FDA warns that even if you cook the chicken in NyQuil, which contains acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, and doxylamine, and don't eat it, boiling a medication can make it much more concentrated and change its properties in other ways. Inhaling the fumes could cause high levels of the drugs to enter the body and damage the lungs.

Not only does the challenge present dangers from the medicine, but there's also a risk of eating undercooked chicken—boiling poultry in medicine isn't a recommended cooking method.

There are safer things to marinate chicken in - credit: TikTok / @janelleandkate

NyQuil has responded to the trend by Tweeting that it does not endorse inappropriate use of its product. TikTok is doing its part by directing those who search for "NyQuil Chicken" to a page about assessing challenges. It also includes safety warnings about dangerous, disturbing, or even fabricated trends.

This isn't the first time the FDA has had to warn about the dangers of TikTok challenges involving medicines. There was a previous challenge from 2020 that involved taking large doses of allergy medicine diphenhydramine, often sold under the brand name Benadryl, to try and induce hallucinations. It led to emergency room admissions and, in some cases, deaths of teenagers who had overdosed on the drug.

Dangerous TikTok challenges are far from a new phenomenon. The company was sued earlier this year by parents of children who died participating in the 'blackout challenge,' which involves users trying to asphyxiate themselves, sometimes by pressing their palms into their necks, until they blackout.

We've also seen the milk crate challenge that involves climbing the unsecured crates; the aptly-named skull-breaker challenge; the salt and ice challenge where participants pour salt on their bodies before ice is placed on the salt; the Drake-inspired Kiki challenge; and the notorious Tide Pod challenge linked to at least ten deaths.

masthead: frankieleon

Permalink to story.

I bet Nyquil will have to add another warning on its product label...I'm half kidding.

At least for the US. Sue happy mother f'ers around here.

"I didn't know it was bad for me." Or "There was no warning on the label and now my kid is dead!"

Anyone remember the stupid woman that burned herself after spilling coffee on her from McDonald's?
She had the cup between her knees while removing the lid to add cream and sugar when the cup tipped over and spilled the entire contents on her lap.

Dumb women spilled coffee on her by her own actions and she wins a lawsuit. This country is sue happy, like EU is fine happy against businesses.

"I didn't know it was bad for me." Or "There was no warning on the label and now my kid is dead!"

Anyone remember the stupid woman that burned herself after spilling coffee on her from McDonald's?
She had the cup between her knees while removing the lid to add cream and sugar when the cup tipped over and spilled the entire contents on her lap.

Dumb women spilled coffee on her by her own actions and she wins a lawsuit. This country is sue happy, like EU is fine happy against businesses.

That woman sued McDonald's because they served her literally boiling hot coffee With a lid that was not secured that caused third degree burns on her thighs and genitals that required skin grafts, not just because there was some hot coffee that spilled.

Or just be some ***** chuckle f*ck that makes assumptions.

Bet you would do the same if you ended up with boiling coffee blistering the skin off your c0ck, wouldn't you?

The age of internet exposes how stupid humans can be. Unfortunately, the persons who create these sort of abominations are not stupid. They are clever enough to make money off stupidity of humans. These content creators must be dealt with too.

That woman sued McDonald's because they served her literally boiling hot coffee With a lid that was not secured that caused third degree burns on her thighs and genitals that required skin grafts, not just because there was some hot coffee that spilled.

Bet you would do the same if you ended up with boiling coffee blistering the skin off your c0ck, wouldn't you?
Coffees are usually served hot. Lukewarm coffees are...meh.

Some cups already come with "Caution Very Hot" warning printed on them.

Anyway, who in their right mind would want to open the cup the way she did?

It's sad to hear she won the lawsuit. People shouldn't be rewarded for their dumb mistakes.

I agree...I liked the other poster's comment about being sue happy but from what I read that coffee was lava hot so not a good example. It did seem to start a trend of frivolous lawsuits.

Coffees are usually served hot. Lukewarm coffees are...meh.

Some cups already come with "Caution Very Hot" warning printed on them.

Anyway, who in their right mind would want to open the cup the way she did?

It's sad to hear she won the lawsuit. People shouldn't be rewarded for their dumb mistakes.
Go pour boiling hot liquid all over your genitals and report back.

Personally I am amazed that TikTok even allows these video's to be posted. You can be sure that if Congress ever gets off it's backside and allows these companies to be held liable they will pull and prohibit this sort of content in a heartbeat.

You should educate yourself before posting.

The plaintiff, Stella Liebeck (1912-2004),[2] a 79-year-old woman, suffered third-degree burns in her pelvic region when she accidentally spilled coffee in her lap after purchasing it from a McDonald's restaurant. She was hospitalized for eight days while undergoing skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment. Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses. When McDonald's refused, Liebeck's attorney filed suit in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico, accusing McDonald's of gross negligence.

Liebeck's attorneys argued that, at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C), McDonald's coffee was boiling hot and more likely to cause serious injury than coffee served at any other establishment.

Sorry you sound bitter about your life, by no means should you just thrash out at others to make yourself feel better. If you're so upset about something you should seek some kind of help and not lash out.

I'm not dumb enough to hold it between my knees. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If you're dumb enough hold something that could burn you between your knees, by all means, go for it. It's on you if you dump it in your lap.

You should educate yourself before posting.

The plaintiff, Stella Liebeck (1912-2004),[2] a 79-year-old woman, suffered third-degree burns in her pelvic region when she accidentally spilled coffee in her lap after purchasing it from a McDonald's restaurant. She was hospitalized for eight days while undergoing skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment. Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses. When McDonald's refused, Liebeck's attorney filed suit in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico, accusing McDonald's of gross negligence.

Liebeck's attorneys argued that, at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C), McDonald's coffee was boiling hot and more likely to cause serious injury than coffee served at any other establishment.
You shouldn't assume. Glad you do, it helps me have an understanding of what type of person you are.
I've read the suit. She was still dumb enough to hold a hot liquid between her knees. She sadly got burned and had to go through that situation, but it was her actions that caused the spill.

I've had boiling water poured over my hand before, I know how it feels to get extremely hot liquid poured on you. The issue was my mistake when I was a kid (around 10 years old), Liebeck should have known better at her age (79) to not do what she did. I didn't blame anyone else except myself and I learned to be more mindful of my surroundings.

The fact is, these companies do have to put these warnings on products because people are just that stupid. Also, because warnings like these, when they're not on the products being sold, companies get sued and have to pay out to stupid people. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

There's no point interfering into natural selection. *****s will always be *****s, and if some of them die because of it, it is for the better.

Bet you would do the same if you ended up with boiling coffee blistering the skin off your c0ck, wouldn't

Go pour boiling hot liquid all over your genitals and report back.
Exactly the point. Next time don't do it on your lap.

Why discourage it?..seems like a good way to clear out some of the 1diots in the gene pool.
Well, children and teenagers don't have fully developed brains, they literally are more *****ic than a full adult past the age of 25. Are you for child mass murder because they are *****s?

Well, children and teenagers don't have fully developed brains, they literally are more *****ic than a full adult past the age of 25. Are you for child mass murder because they are *****s?

It's up to parents to educate their children as to the dangers of trend following.

Personally I am amazed that TikTok even allows these video's to be posted. You can be sure that if Congress ever gets off it's backside and allows these companies to be held liable they will pull and prohibit this sort of content in a heartbeat.
Such is the power of profit.

Profit before all! All else be damned! /s

Back