The GTX 1080 Ti could be next in line for a comeback

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Is Nvidia digging up more of its back catalog to ease the graphics card shortage crisis? If a recent rumor turns out to be accurate, the next product in line for a revival is a former consumer flagship: the GTX 1080 Ti.

The rumor, and that’s all it is right now, comes from regular leaker Harukaze5719 (via PCGamesN). They spotted a post on Korean hardware forum Quasarzone suggesting the card, launched in March 2017, could be given a new lease of life.

A forum member writes that they returned their old card for an RMA as it was still in the three-year warranty. Nothing unusual there, but the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti they received in return was brand-new, with a manufacturing date of 2021.

This doesn’t mean that the Pascal card is definitely being resurrected; it could be that these new cards are a small batch made for warranty replacements, and the internet does have a bit of a reputation for fakery. However, history tells us that a GTX 1080 Ti re-release is a strong possibility.

The global chip shortage, cryptominers, and scalpers have created a perfect storm in which buying a new graphics card has become a near-impossible and costly task. The situation has led to Nvidia resuming production of the GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1650, and RTX 2060 in the hope of getting more cards into the hands of gamers.

The GTX 1080 Ti remains popular today. If a relaunch does happen, expect the card to move up from its current 18th position on the Steam Hardware Survey. It still stacks up well against recent releases—check out our feature last year that compared it against the RTX 2070 and Radeon 5700 XT, where it offered similar performance to the Turing GPU. And see how the GTX 1080 Ti fares against the GTX 980 Ti and RTX 2080 Ti.

Permalink to story.

The idea of having to relaunch four year old, two generation previous GPUs is unpalatable but then I suppose many generation models were just refreshes in this manner. AMD became notorious for still flogging those GCN 1st gen cores four years and three rebrands after launch.

Probably wouldn't be that bad if they could stick it on the 12nm process Turing cards have (possibly) vacated and pumped with a mild clock bump.

When the mining reaches a point that it's no longer profitable or simply put cant be used the markets will be flooded with all sorts of cards.

Not sure how nvidia is responsible for PCB shortages or covid supply restrictions but OK I guess....
They initially covered it up by positioning top cards for machine learning, whereas in fact that became a 1% niche direction, with 99% ending up in crypto mining, which is the true direction they've been working on, just didn't want to market it as such, to avoid the government lash.

Last edited:
They initially covered it up by positioning top cards for machine learning, where in fact that became a 1% niche direction, with 99% ending up in crypto mining, which is the true direction on which they have been working, just didn't want to market it as such, to avoid a government lash.
There's something to be said about how they did nothing to stop the botting purchases as well.

1080Ti cards re-released! Originally $700 MSRP, they will now sell for $1200!

You can't get a 3070/3080/3090 or 6800/6800XT/6900XT for a good price, but you can buy 4 year old cards at an over inflated price because Nvidia cares about us gamers.

Win-win for everyone! Gamers can buy a dated technology at a high price and Nvidia can make more money selling old tech to gamers that are desperate and keep selling off any new RTX 30xx cards directly to miners and scalpers! So, it's a win-win for Nvidia and a big FU to gamers.

Gotta say, still rockin my 1080Ti and still feel no real need to upgrade, it goes on record as the best GPU purchase I've ever had.
Can't blame you. That is arguably the best GPU ever made. It was (still is) so good they learned from their "mistake", and now you gotta pay a very high premium for high end performance.

We'll get the gtx980 ti in May at this rate!

In any case, when covid vaccine rollout accelerates and life returns to something resembling normal, demand for PC parts may well slacken off. A mining crash would be the icing on the cake.

Gotta say, still rockin my 1080Ti and still feel no real need to upgrade, it goes on record as the best GPU purchase I've ever had.
I sold my PC with a 1080Ti with a 8700K 6 months before the covid-19 hit to upgrade within the next year and I regret it so badly as I can't get my hands on a better card right now due to stock but also prices to build a PC here in Canada have been ridiculous.

In any case, when covid vaccine rollout accelerates and life returns to something resembling normal, demand for PC parts may well slacken off. A mining crash would be the icing on the cake.
Honestly, 980Ti is still a helluva card if you're only gaming 1080p.

I hope so... but not being so sure.. that the vaccines rollout will cause life to return to something resembling normal.

1080Ti cards re-released! Originally $700 MSRP, they will now sell for $1200!

You can't get a 3070/3080/3090 or 6800/6800XT/6900XT for a good price, but you can buy 4 year old cards at an over inflated price because Nvidia cares about us gamers.

Win-win for everyone! Gamers can buy a dated technology at a high price and Nvidia can make more money selling old tech to gamers that are desperate and keep selling off any new RTX 30xx cards directly to miners and scalpers! So, it's a win-win for Nvidia and a big FU to gamers.

wow. I get that you want a good deal. But guess what? no one "owes you" a good deal. You seem to think that, and if you would let that idea go, you'd be a lot happier.

It seems like you are entitled to a great card at a great price. I got some bad news for ya, you are not entitled to anything. Don't like it? don't buy it.

Hell, I'm still rockin with my GTX 1070 and it's still serving me well. With the current state of affairs with video cards, I ain't buying nothing until things change. This situation has gotten totally ridiculous.

wow. I get that you want a good deal. But guess what? no one "owes you" a good deal. You seem to think that, and if you would let that idea go, you'd be a lot happier.

It seems like you are entitled to a great card at a great price. I got some bad news for ya, you are not entitled to anything. Don't like it? don't buy it.
Ahhh...someone loves to try to put people down whenever they get a chance. So, gee. Thanks for your opinion! We love it! /sarcasm

Nobody cares what you have to say.

Last edited:
Back