The House of Radeon: ATI Technologies, Gone But Not Forgotten

"Naturally, as people often do, most dismissed these claims as mere hyperbole. After all, ATI had garnered a reputation for over-promising and under-delivering."

Nothing changed, they still do it......

P.S thanks for the article!!!

Nice article.

Note that the paragraph starting with "The ATI Graphics Ultra and Graphics Vantage, released in 1991" is repeated twice.

Note that the paragraph starting with "The ATI Graphics Ultra and Graphics Vantage, released in 1991" is repeated twice.
Thanks for the catch and all fixed now. I tend to get a bit word-blind on long articles (well, paragraph blind in this case)! :neutral:

I always enjoy these trips down nostalgia lane. Those early years of GPUs (I believe the are not all technically GPUs) was so much fun. The technology moved so fast and games/graphics changed substantially ever year. The technology enabled not just better graphics, but allowed whole new styles and types of games. The cool things you saw in the arcade could now be played at home. It was just amazing and fun. I owned a few of the ATI cards early on between personal and work computers. The new GPUs and graphics are great, but things don't really change like they did back in the 90's and 2000's.

Thanks for the article!

Last edited:
Sometime back in the '90s, when I was on my first gig of writing articles for computer magazines, and as a pretty regular PC Magazine writer, I was treated to a trip to ATI HQ in Canada, to meet founder Ho ("Ho knows" was a popular saying among ATI folk), and to see how they produced graphics cards. Every PC Mag person there was also gifted an ATI graphics card with his or her name burned into the BIOS. So when I booted up a system with my ATI card, it proudly announced that it was the ATI card of Ben Myers.

So many years ago, and I can't recall whether the card was ISA or PCI. It was not VL-bus. Eventually, being obsolete, the board got torn down and it became part of a pile of boards I routinely take to an e-scrap dealer to turn them into cash in my pocket.

Talk about a trip down memory lane. I remember a lot of those ATI graphics processors from those times. I thought the 3D graphics demo that ATI provided with the Rage 128 16mb I had, as the coolest thing ever. 3D acceleration was coming a long way in a really short time, looking back on it. I remember those days of selecting EGA or CGA, and then that all went away as technology improved. It was radical back then when you could play DVD's on your computer, because your video card had the ability to finally process that.

This was a fantastic article.

I owned a Radeon 64DDR and some of the older ATI cards. I knew some of the history but not all and this story helped to bridge those gaps. And all these years later I'm still a Radeon guy!

Also owned a couple of the all in wonder products back in the day!!

I think you forgot to mention the ATI 9600 especially the mobile version . These were superb chips predating the 9700 and ATI dominated NVidia in the mobile space with these chips - all Thinkpad T4xp mobile workstations had them . .

I'd like to point out that the 8800 Ultra was launched in May 2007, not 2006 and the GTX and GTS models were actually launched earlier in November 2006.

I'd like to point out that the 8800 Ultra was launched in May 2007, not 2006 and the GTX and GTS models were actually launched earlier in November 2006.
Quite right. I'd written that section several times over but had clearly forgotten to change the various dates that were down too. All fixed now!

Excellent article. Brought back many fond memories. Too bad many in the Canadian techsphere faded out a bit or entirely... BlackBerry, ATI, BioWare. Not many left, intact, in Canada these days.

The 9700 pro was legendary and the first, and last ATI card I ever purchased but it was one of the most memorable GFX card purchases I ever made is some 24 years of PC gaming.
Competitive UT was my life back then and the 9700 pro was just unmatched and is probably one of the best pieces of PC hardware I ever bought,
#nostalgiaOverload

Great artile, I liked learning the timeline (that's a lot of research).
I must admit im a bit embarrassed to say I'm currently using an ATI Radeon HD 5450 PCIEx16 that's controlled by AMD Catalyst software.
Your article has cleared away the cobwebs of my loyal blindness to this dinosaur. It's still amazon prime day, I need to order a new machine. But I wont get any privacy on win 11 like I do on Win7-pro. I've been procrastinating too long (obviously).
Looks like it time I learn LINUX.
Because, I absolutely refuse to give any more money to Bill Gates. That man has become a complete nut case. He wants everyone to soy bean & crickets. Now he thinks he's God & wants to blot out the sun
I've got a BBQ to get Started, with real cow & chicken on my grill.
THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS &
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY, AMERICA 🇺🇸

Back