The iPhone SE has the specs of an iPhone 6S with the body of an iPhone 5S, starts at $399

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple on Monday unveiled a smaller version of its iconic iPhone. Dubbed the iPhone SE, the new 4-inch handset is essentially an iPhone 6s inside a smaller iPhone 5s chassis. Here's everything you need to know.

The iPhone SE is powered by Apple's 64-bit A9 SoC and M9 motion coprocessor, the same hardware found in the iPhone 6s. Apple says this new phone is just as powerful as the iPhone 6s and is the most powerful 4-inch smartphone in the world.

The iPhone SE also features the same 12-megapixel rear iSight camera as the current flagship. If you need a refresher, that includes Focus Pixels, a True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 30FPS, 1080p video recording at 60FPS and slow-mo video recording at 240FPS. The new iPhone also has the ability to capture 63-megapixel panorama images and Live Photos.

Elsewhere, the 4-incher features the always-on "Hey Siri" digital personal assistant, Bluetooth 4.2, LTE up to 150Mbps, voice over LTE, Wi-Fi calling, Touch ID and NFC (which enables Apple Pay), 802.11ac Wi-Fi and more. It truly is an iPhone 6S inside the shell of an iPhone 5S.

The iPhone SE will be available to pre-order beginning March 24 and will ship a week later on March 31. Pricing is set at $399 for the 16GB model and $499 for the 64GB variant, all of which will be available in your choice of rose gold, gold, silver and space grey. The 16GB model is free with a two-year service agreement (if you can still find anyone offering them) or around $13.30 per month on an installment payment plan.

Permalink to story.

I see this gadget has garnered plenty of excitement and comments on these forums. :D

Yawn, what? Apple? Ahhh who cares, nobody on here uses these pieces of junk. The only positive thing I've heard from people about this is; It's smaller so it fits better in your pocket.

I see this gadget has garnered plenty of excitement and comments on these forums. :D

Yawn, what? Apple? Ahhh who cares, nobody on here uses these pieces of junk. The only positive thing I've heard from people about this is; It's smaller so it fits better in your pocket.

I used a 6 Plus before trying a 6S Plus and going to a Note 5, late last year. I switched because of a series of bugs experienced on both iPhones after the (then recent) iOS update. I know it's cool and popular to hate Apple and hate people who buy Apple products; perhaps the haters will stop and realize that there are a set of very real pros to using an iPhone.

I love my Note 5, aside from the pen which keeps getting stuck (the end of the pen that pops out, sometimes doesn't pop out which makes it impossible to remove).

I know it's cool and popular to hate Apple and hate people who buy Apple products; perhaps the haters will stop and realize that there are a set of very real pros to using an iPhone.

Please list those "very real pros" your referring to otherwise it's as easy as saying Ford makes the best cars in the world, there are many pros to driving a Ford, but only those who drive them know about them.

Last edited:
Consider me a very happy girl. I still have my very reliable iphone 5 and have not cared for new upgrades as I find them too big; doesn't fit my hand, my fingers don't reach and I often carry in my back pocket so bigger is just not an option for me. My boyfriend has an iphone 6 and I played around with it enough to know I didn't want one. Practicality will trump specs in my book.

I have been holding out on a newer model for that single reason and I bet I'm not alone. If anything Apple just proved me right. They will sell a lot of these. I'm just grateful I my iphone 5 aged this well. I've now had it longer than my iphone 3GS before and that one was much overdue after almost 4 years! (And even back then I held out on buying an iphone until a 32gb model would come out; big enough for my music library and to replace my Dell DJ! Flashback moment.)

Please list those "very real pros" your referring to otherwise it's as easy as saying Ford makes the best cars in the world, there are many pros to driving a Ford, but only those who drive them know about them.

Ford doesn't make the best cars in the world (although they do make arguably the best C segment sedan, in the world), and Apple doesn't make the best phone in the world. That said, Apple's ecosystem is far superior to any of their competitors and you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. Also, the introduction of NVMe storage on a phone is notable. As is the popularization of a variety of smartphone features you may take for granted: touch screens, full web browsing, finger print readers, high-resolution displays (ironic, given how many years it took Apple to hit 1080p) and the very idea of an "app store."

Note I said "popularization" and not "invention." I've been taking a **** for years, and I hear Squatty Potty makes my shits easier - doesn't mean they invented **** itself. ;)

Ford doesn't make the best cars in the world (although they do make arguably the best C segment sedan, in the world), and Apple doesn't make the best phone in the world. That said, Apple's ecosystem is far superior to any of their competitors and you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. Also, the introduction of NVMe storage on a phone is notable. As is the popularization of a variety of smartphone features you may take for granted: touch screens, full web browsing, finger print readers, high-resolution displays (ironic, given how many years it took Apple to hit 1080p) and the very idea of an "app store."

Note I said "popularization" and not "invention." I've been taking a **** for years, and I hear Squatty Potty makes my shits easier - doesn't mean they invented **** itself. ;)

I was using Ford as a comparative example to show how your original statement was completely meaningless, I could have used any automaker and it would of had the same affect, no automaker makes the best car in the world. That said, I don't know what your on about Apple's ecosystem being better than the competition, I honestly can't stand the closed ecosystem mentality they use. The open market place on Android is in my opinion far superior, but that's a matter of opinion that we do not share, nothing factual. The features that you list are not exclusive to Apple, although they have tried to prove otherwise, and don't change much in swaying my opinion of the brand. So besides the introduction of NVMe memory and your preferred closed ecosystem I still don't see any "pros" that I can be on board with. But you contradict yourself in saying
Apple doesn't make the best phone in the world
so now I'm not sure where you stand.

I was using Ford as a comparative example to show how your original statement was completely meaningless, I could have used any automaker and it would of had the same affect, no automaker makes the best car in the world. That said, I don't know what your on about Apple's ecosystem being better than the competition, I honestly can't stand the closed ecosystem mentality they use. The open market place on Android is in my opinion far superior, but that's a matter of opinion that we do not share, nothing factual. The features that you list are not exclusive to Apple, although they have tried to prove otherwise, and don't change much in swaying my opinion of the brand. So besides the introduction of NVMe memory and your preferred closed ecosystem I still don't see any "pros" that I can be on board with. But you contradict yourself in saying so now I'm not sure where you stand.

Well, I'm not an Apple fanboy, if that's what you were looking for - I simply hate stupid, over-generalizations like "all Apple products are ****," or "Apple makes the best phones in the world."

You asked for examples of what made the iPhone appealing, and I provided them. Period. Oh, and it's not *my* "closed ecosystem" - I run a Samsung Galaxy Note 5, which is unmodified.

Back