'The Last of Us' is coming to the big screen in the form of a live-action movie

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony making movie the last of us

The Last of Us was one of the most critically acclaimed games of 2013 across any platform, winning numerous awards including Game of the Year from several publications. It was so good, in fact, that it was recently picked up by Screen Gems for a live-action movie adaptation according to a new report from Deadline.

The film’s script will be written by Neil Druckmann, the creative director for the game. Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra, co-presidents of Naughty Dog (the game’s developer) will serve as creative architects alongside Druckmann and game director Bruce Straley. Sam Raimi from Ghost House Pictures is also on board, we’ve heard.

According to the logline, hardened survivor Joel teams with young and capable companion Ellie to journey through a radically transformed world some 20 years after an infectious pandemic ravaged humanity.

Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper said staffers Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought the game to his attention and insisted they go after it. After he saw the quality of the storytelling, Culpepper realized the audience for the project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Druckmann must write the screenplay.

Wells said they’ve talked with several companies about a film adaptation since the game was released last June. They believe they’ve found the perfect fit with the combination of Screen Gems and Ghose House.

No word yet on when the project will get under way or how long it will be until we can expect it to hit theaters, however.

Permalink to story.

When I play this game, I can't help but think of Ellie as a juno Ellen Page, altho she was voicing Beyond Two Souls. So who would play her, I have no idea.

Joey King from White House down is the right age, but please god, I hope they don't pick her, she looks unnatural, her lips look full of botox or w.e

As for Harrison Ford, he is a bit beyond it really. 71. Joel is a man with a 12 or 14 year old daughter himself. And the game is set 20 years on. So she would have been 32 / 34. So he would be somewhere between 55 and 65 ? Quite frankly when playing the game, I can not imagine Joel being out of his forties, jumping around surviving clickers and bandits.

Clive Owen is 50, and has done similar get the package roles, protecting a baby in shooter, and a pregnant girl in Children of Men. What would he look like with some stubble or a beard?

To get some game parts down accurate though, the actor playing Joel would have to get into cover doing his stealthy bit while the other members of the group continuously run from cover to cover even bumping into the enemies without them noticing at all somehow.

'We are Legend' for the movie title?

I haven't played the game but from the brief description it sounds like a I am legend spin off/ sequel.

'We are Legend' for the movie title?

I haven't played the game but from the brief description it sounds like a I am legend spin off/ sequel.
And star wars is a star trek spin off because they both take place in space with ships and lazar gunz.

Paul W.S Anderson should not make this one. He's the reason why fanboys hate video game movie adaptations.

I am going to guess it will be Liam Neeson. He is real hot right now, and his movies are making a lot of money.

Back