The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in Unreal Engine 5 will blow your mind

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: YouTuber RwanLink has painstakingly recreated the Kakariko Village area from Ocarina of Time using Epic's latest game engine. In the video's description, he expressed interest in wanting to explore what the game's various environments could look like utilizing modern technologies and features found in Unreal Engine 5 - namely, Lumen and Nanite.

Zelda projects have been getting a lot of attention lately, and rightfully so as it is one of Nintendo's top franchises. We recently looked at a recreation of the N64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in C code and now, a separate undertaking reveals what the game could have looked like had Unreal Engine 5 been around in the late 90s.

Lumen is a fully dynamic real-time global illumination solution that reacts to scene and light changes, while Nanite is a virtualized micro polygon geometry system that lets artists create as much detail as the eye can see without compromising speed.

As you can see, the end result is absolutely stunning.

RwanLink notes that this is the first video in a series that will present different environments from the game, all in an effort to help him become a better artist. He also has a Patreon if you're interested in supporting his work.

Unreal Engine 5 has done nothing but impress ever since it was first showcased by Epic Games in May 2020. It entered early access in mid-2021 and is on track for a full launch sometime early next year.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

He definitely put some painstaking hours into this and I admire the artwork completely. Yes, I believe some old games shouldn't be touched, but all he did was remodel one area of the game. It's cool to see what it would have been like with our current technology.

Nope. Doesn't feel like Zelda. But impressive artwork, if it was created by a single person. Puts whole Nintendo graphics team to shame. Nonetheless, Nintendo will be back ..... with C&D order.

I not a Nintendo person - the elf in green - the garment in green was flapping unnaturally
That would be Link, he is not an elf but a “Hylian”, (from Hyrule) which is kind of a cross between an elf and a human. Zelda is a Hylian princess and isn’t even in every Zelda game for some reason. Also Link doesn’t always wear green. Sometimes he wears blue. Sometimes you can change his clothes. The Zelda content for Skyrim on switch had links armour as turquoise.

Zelda is an outstanding franchise. If you haven’t played it you’re in for a treat. Breath of the Wild is to this date the last of the best games of all time in my humble opinion and the only game that truly rewards experimentation that I’ve ever seen. But more recently they remastered the game boy game - Links Awakening for the switch. And it’s the greatest remaster I have ever seen and a truly wonderful experience. The OG game boy game does hold up as a full RPG still too.

Nope. Doesn't feel like Zelda. But impressive artwork, if it was created by a single person. Puts whole Nintendo graphics team to shame. Nonetheless, Nintendo will be back ..... with C&D order.
Makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't go after ATi for using "Navi" as the codename for the first two generations of the RDNA architecture. :laughing:

YES YES YES!!! I was just talking to someone about someone remaking this game. I’m so excited for “Ocarina of Time” to come out. I love it. Such a beautiful creation. You’ve just given us real fans, a real gift. Thank-You!!!

Back