The LG G7 ThinQ is supposedly ten times louder than other smartphones and has double the...

midian182

Staff member

We’ll finally find out if the LG G7 ThinQ lives up to the hype when it’s officially announced this Wednesday (May 2). Following earlier revelations about its 1000-nit display, iPhone X-style notch, and AI smarts, the company says its next flagship will also boast a “Boombox Speaker” that offers much louder sound and more bass compared to other smartphones.

LG specifies that the speaker increases base sound levels “by more than 6dB,” thereby enabling the G7 ThinQ to be ten times louder than a typical handset, which seems like quite a claim. It also doubles the amount of bass. Additionally, the bass levels can be further amplified by placing the phone on a flat surface.

All this is possible thanks to the Boombox Speaker’s use of a resonance chamber design within the phone. Judging from LG’s image (below), the speaker uses the G7’s entire body, which is said to offer ten times as much resonance space over conventional smartphone speaker modules.

The LG G7 ThinQ also comes with the same Hi-Fi Quad DAC that we saw in the G6, V30, and V30S ThinQ, which should please headphone users. The phone is also the first ever handset to support DTS:X 3D Surround Sound, according to LG, allowing 3D sound effects in 7.1, even when using a regular pair of headphones.

LG has confirmed that G7 ThinQ will feature a 6.1-inch QHD+ Super Bright Display that will be able to reach 1000 nits of brightness. We also know it comes with a notch, has a dual rear camera setup, a dedicated Google Assistant button, and is powered by the Snapdragon 845.

Permalink to story.

Let's see. It would have to be 10dB louder overall to be ten times louder. With base level increased by "more than 6dB" and the bass (watch your homophones) doubled, yeah, it could add up pretty close.

Be careful it doesn't fly out of your hand.

Let's see. It would have to be 10dB louder overall to be ten times louder. With base level increased by "more than 6dB" and the bass (watch your homophones) doubled, yeah, it could add up pretty close.

Be careful it doesn't fly out of your hand.

That's funny.

ThinQ. How do I pronounce this? Thin Q? Think? Think you?
If it's thin and has a kick-*** display and a large speaker and a powerful CPU, it's going to have terrible battery life and run very hot.
LG disappointed me in the past as their G4 died for many users after just 2-3 years. I'll be slow to buy another phone from them.

LG disappointed me in the past as their G4 died for many users after just 2-3 years. I'll be slow to buy another phone from them.
Likewise, I've always liked LG phones but their reliability is terrible. I too suffered the G4 failure and the LG made Nexus 5 failure.

Be careful there - - it's the base that carries sufficient energy to destroy your hearing. Some form of an earbud (where the ear is sealed off from ambient sound ) and this thing cranked up will cause loss of hearing in the base range in the near term future. As the years progress, you will live to regret this.

I am hearing impaired and wear two hearing aids but have much difficulty hearing people over the phone. After much research, I bought a LG 4 and have been pretty satisfied with LG.

My biggest problems are TWO:

Bass seems to come in too loud, so this big bass box is not in my interests.
The other problem has nothing to do with me, it is the speaker who a. speaks tooooo fast and runs his words together and/or uses a cheap and crummy phone that has lousy sound/voice reproduction.

Still I might just look into this phone. Thanks for the review....

Back