The Mandalorian's Pedro Pascal cast as Joel in Last of Us HBO series

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: The Last of Us is one of those game franchises that always seemed perfect for a TV adaptation. HBO is taking on the challenge, and we now know who's playing the main role of Joel: it's the Mandalorian himself, Pedro Pascal.

Deadline revealed Pascal's casting soon after we heard that Ellie will be played by Bella Ramsey, another Game of Thrones alum. Pascal, you may remember, portrayed the charismatic Oberyn Martell, also known as The Red Viper, before Ser Gregor Clegane crushed his head like an overripe melon. Ramsey, meanwhile, was GoT's Lyanna Mormont, who defeated but was ultimately killed by an Ice Giant in the final season.

The words "video game adaptation," be it TV or movie, often bring shudders to those who hear them, but HBO has a reputation for producing top-quality programming. It was announced last year that Johan Renck and Craig Mazin, who were both involved in the excellent Chernobyl miniseries, will act as The Last of Us director (pilot episode) and co-writer, respectively. Chernobyl, one of IMDB's five best shows of all time, was created by Mazin and directed by Renck.

Neil Druckman, writer of the first Last of Us and a co-writer on the game's sequel, will also serve as a co-writer on the HBO show.

According to the series' official synopsis: "The story, set 20 years after modern civilization has been destroyed, centers on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenager who may be the key to a cure for a deadly pandemic. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the 14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey as they traverse the U.S. and depend on each other for survival."

Filming on The Last of Us begins this spring.

Permalink to story.

MY BOY PEDRO <3 and I can't see Bella Ramsey as Ellie yet, but I've only seen her as A) Lyanna Mormont, and the stock celeb photos, when she's all suited and booted and Ellie I bet she'll do a fantastic job.

I should probably start wasting more time watching newer "better" series just so I can actually know the person they hire.

I donno, Pedro Pascal did compare the US to 1930's Germany, I'm sure they will take that into review.

I donno, Pedro Pascal did compare the US to 1930's Germany, I'm sure they will take that into review.
You mean he compared Trump voters to actual Nazis. The ones responsible for the Holocaust, WW2, killing of dissenters, murders of people with disabilities, forced sterilization...

Great actor for the role. Seriously, I love his work.
But lets get to the show itself. And more importantly, lets get to the ideas
Hollywood mindlessly repeats for the last how many, 5-10 years?
Each time creating the same room filled with the same items making them bigger and brighter.
And eventually, people who are supposed to buy their content feel like something is wrong.
It feels like instead of entertaining, their ideas are all that matter. And these idea eat up good characters, good stories.
And all is left there is highly preachy narrative which is very hard to sell. And the market shows, they are losing money going this road.
To their advantage, majority of their customers pay little attention to sub plots and ideas plaguing their content. It is all about bright pictures, explosions and fast action. But there is always a limit how far you can camouflage what you wanted to say behind these tricks.
Cap'n Marvel is a good example. The work of many amazing people that has lots of majestic scenes, music and CGI, still does not save the movie from the poison of what they wanted to say so strongly but feared if they did too loud, it would turn away people from watching the movie. A mediocre movie that couldn't not be saved by any amount of CGI best music and amazing actors like the one they butchered for a stupid cat joke.
I will not watch Last of Us, I will not buy it. I only hope for highly entertaining reviews from YouTube. Bat Woman was one of such shows. And I welcome more, because this darkest side of the Hollywood has gone hilariously crazy to actually be entertaining.
I don't know, for a place so widely known for doing unthinkable things to minors and women who are desperately trying to get a role, Hollywood trying to be a ministry of morals and right and wrong sounds like a joke.
I guess what I tried to say in this comment, don't buy their content. They've gone crazy. They've gone there because we gave them money. Now they are trying a different job. Lets see if it pays as well as their old job we paid for.

The Mandalorian was so good, it's unfathomable that we had to suffer the 3rd Trilogy.
I appreciate the trilogy for all the great YouTube reviews it brought. Tasteless boring and stupid movies they are, making them a great material for highly entertaining reviews.

I loved her character too but after reading what she said...yeah, she kinda needed to be cancelled.
Care to elaborate what it was and then explain why she needs to be cancelled but Pedro Pascal does not for his post comparing Trump voters to actual third Reich Nazis ?

Care to elaborate what it was and then explain why she needs to be cancelled but Pedro Pascal does not for his post comparing Trump voters to actual third Reich Nazis ?
Trump voters were literally wearing "Camp Auschwitz" t-shirts.

Trump voters were literally wearing "Camp Auschwitz" t-shirts.
One person if I‘m not mistaken, at least that‘s what Google image search returns.

I guess you‘ll find individuals with serious mental problems on either side. I mean (former) PBS lawyer Michael Beller said children of Trump voters should be sent to reeducation camps.

I would like to add that I am against any Nazi comparisons unless the people compared to them are just as criminally insane. That applies to both Gina Cardano‘s tweet suggesting what is happening to Republicans will be the same thing that happened to the jewish population under the Nazis and Pedro Pascal‘s tweet likening Trump voters to Nazis. Don‘t stand behind either but one of the two got an additional job, the other was fired.

She could have used McCarthyism instead if that was the point she was trying to make.

One person if I‘m not mistaken, at least that‘s what Google image search returns.

I guess you‘ll find individuals with serious mental problems on either side. I mean (former) PBS lawyer Michael Beller said children of Trump voters should be sent to reeducation camps.
It's no secret the proud boys support trump, there were also 4MWNE shirts, 4 million jews were not enough..

I would like to add that I am against any Nazi comparisons unless the people compared to them are just as criminally insane. That applies to both Gina Cardano‘s tweet suggesting what is happening to Republicans will be the same thing that happened to the jewish population under the Nazis and Pedro Pascal‘s tweet likening Trump voters to Nazis. Don‘t stand behind either but one of the two got an additional job, the other was fired.

She could have used McCarthyism instead if that was the point she was trying to make.
I understand a trump supporter can have a variety of reasons but at this point the acceptance of fascism and hipocresy in the republican party is sickening, there are already similarities with far right movement in the us and nazism, don't be naive..

I understand a trump supporter can have a variety of reasons but at this point the acceptance of fascism and hipocresy in the republican party is sickening, there are already similarities with far right movement in the us and nazism, don't be naive..
I am not naive thinking that there aren‘t persons with very far right beliefs supporting the Republicans.
But I also don‘t believe that this is more than a small minority. Same as for far leftists supporting Democrats that seem to have no problem with attacks on jewish citizens if they comes from the „right“ group.

The interesting thing is that the treatment of Gina Carano vs Pedro Pascal is an excellent example of hypocrisy yet many completely fail to see that.

I guess that happens when you see persons with a different opinion as „the enemy“ that needs to be destroyed, a common theme in extremist world views, I.e brown or red fascists.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau or Josh Lee Holloway would have been better.

Pedro Pascal can do a good job, sure. These guys would have been closer to the character.

Having played The Last of Us, I don't believe the show will ever compare. It's for the people who haven't played the game.

Back