The Mi Mix is Xiaomi's beautiful, bezel-less ceramic smartphone that costs just $516

midian182

Staff member

If you’re a fan of massive smartphones with virtually bezel-less screens, your dream device may have just been unveiled by Xiaomi. The Mi Mix is a 6.4-inch Android phablet that boasts an amazing 91.3 percent screen-to-body ratio, putting it way ahead of the iPhone 7 (65.6 percent) and the Galaxy S7 Edge (76.1 percent). Best of all, it sells at a competitively priced $516.

The Chinese phone maker revealed the handset at a press event today. In addition to that 2040 x 1080 display, the Mi Mix, which was developed with the help of French designer Philippe Starck, features curved corners and a polished black body made from ceramic.

Xiaomi had to remove the top sensors to make room for the screen. CEO Lei Jun said the company spent three years coming up with a speaker replacement, before finally using a piezoelectric speaker inside the handset that generates sounds through vibrations.

The Mix’s proximity sensor has been replaced with an ultrasonic sensor that sits behind the screen. It can detect light to determine if the phone is being held against someone’s face. The front-facing camera, meanwhile, is now located at the bottom of the phone; thankfully, the handset can be rotated to avoid 'double chin selfies.'

The phablet packs some impressive other components, too. It’s powered by a 2.35GHz Snapdragon 821 processor, comes with 4GB of RAM, and features 128GB storage. There’s a 4400mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 support, high-precision GPS, a 16MP rear camera, and a 5MP front snapper.

You can get the deluxe edition for $74 extra that boasts 6GB of RAM, 256GB UFS 2.0 storage, and 18K gold rims around the rear camera and fingerprint sensor.

The Mi Mix launches in China on November 4. No word yet on a US release date.

Check out the video below to see the handset in action.

Permalink to story.

It's nice, but still too rich for my blood ..... and they don't have the self-destruct feature like Samsung so 007 will have to take a pass too!

Unless the specs are wrong, no band 17 (700mhz) for the USA market means it would be a poor choice
for the American market. Why can't manufacturers just put them all in a phone?
Huawei did, which is why my newest phone is another Huawei.
Must be some sort of license thing with qualcom or something.

This is interesting for a long time many people including myself was waiting for a phone that it was all screen but before this became a reality I thought , I drop my phone very often and I always put a case on my phone , now how do you protect this thing from breaking, and it sounds funny how a phone , articles say is only $516.00 like im buying an apple for breakfast.

It looks unusual, and it sounds even more so - like an English-speaking Chinese with a strong french accent :)

Unless the specs are wrong, no band 17 (700mhz) for the USA market means it would be a poor choice
for the American market. Why can't manufacturers just put them all in a phone?
Huawei did, which is why my newest phone is another Huawei.
Must be some sort of license thing with qualcom or something.
there will probably be different versions you can buy.

there will probably be different versions you can buy.
Yeah, but you never know. I know Huawei pretty much comes out with 2 versions, hopefully more makers will start
making them "global" with all frequencies included.

Yeah, but you never know. I know Huawei pretty much comes out with 2 versions, hopefully more makers will start
making them "global" with all frequencies included.
I don't think that will be possible because if Xiaomi wants to sell phones in the us they have to do it through the telecom companies from there and you can 100% expect restrictions imposed by them.
besides, Xiaomi has always made multiple versions of the phones for different regions (US EU China etc)

For someone who uses the rear camera to take REAL pictures (you could leave off the front camera - I don't take selfies), one of the most important specs is whether or not that camera has optical stabilization. Nothing worse than having to snap a dozen shots to ensure a crisp one.
Also, $74 for 128 Gb worth of storage and a bit more RAM ? Not too bad but why not option an SD slot to allow pictures and contacts to be stored exclusively on that (non-cloud) for security and portability?
At the price quoted (and including all correct bands for US), I'd strongly consider this (and will need to once my Note 4 falls apart)

For someone who uses the rear camera to take REAL pictures (you could leave off the front camera - I don't take selfies), one of the most important specs is whether or not that camera has optical stabilization. Nothing worse than having to snap a dozen shots to ensure a crisp one.
Also, $74 for 128 Gb worth of storage and a bit more RAM ? Not too bad but why not option an SD slot to allow pictures and contacts to be stored exclusively on that (non-cloud) for security and portability?
At the price quoted (and including all correct bands for US), I'd strongly consider this (and will need to once my Note 4 falls apart)
it's a very good camera, you don't have to worry.

As far as I know, all Xiaomi phones don't have bands for 4G in the US and only one band for 3G in US. Apparently Xiaomi is not interested in the US market. Dunno if that's going to change or not.

Back