The Most Disappointing PC Games of 2017

2017 was a big low for the bigger publishers. All the branding and micro transaction rubbishi s holding back the development of good solid playable games.

They've been vomiting out some awful rubbish of late, and they seem unable to learn from it.

Star wars is such a spectacular own goal for EA. I mean you couldn't get it more wrong if you tried!

I understand the business decision to create your own IP by bioware but I also think it was a mistake leaving D&D and Star Wars. Outside of mass effect 2 I can't recall one of their games I wanted to play a second time around after finishing it. EA has only turned them into another studio who just increases the number at the end of their title every other year in order to give away the razor handle so you constantly purchase their razors. CD project, Blizzard, and bioware have all passed them by in creating various quality RPGs.

Last edited:
I wan to say a couple of things:

- I don't understand people that say "I've played over 50 hours of this game but it's not a good game; I can't recommend it" GUYS!!! if you played for 50 hours the game was worth every penny! that's the point: to get hours of entertainment. Even if the "experience" is not entirely good, you got your 50 hours out of your money, there are reasons that made you keep playing, it doesn't make sense not to recommend it.

- Regarding PUBG; I bought it recently (once it got out of Early Access) it's an "OK" game the problem is that it lacks A LOT of content (it only had ONE map until 1.0!), the only bug I experienced was a little rubberbanding at the start of matches (never during combat) and after the last patch it seems they fixed it. Now that the developers are SWIMMING in money they should improve the game a lot

Shadow of War is my favourite game of the year and I thought that it would feature in the top 20 best games of 2017, not a list of the most disappointing games XD

Anyway, everyone has their own opinion. I think the general consensus was negatively affected by the microtransactions.

I played for 80 hours, finished the game and didn't pay a single penny apart from the upfront cost. I finished with 600 of the premium currency too :)

- I don't understand people that say "I've played over 50 hours of this game but it's not a good game; I can't recommend it" GUYS!!! if you played for 50 hours the game was worth every penny! that's the point: to get hours of entertainment. Even if the "experience" is not entirely good, you got your 50 hours out of your money, there are reasons that made you keep playing, it doesn't make sense not to recommend it.
There's a difference between playing a game for fun, and working/grinding through a game to get to the "fun".
Just because you put hours into a game, doesn't mean you enjoy/like it. It more than likely means you're stubborn lol

There have been a few games I played to finish, not because I liked them, but because I didn't want to leave it incomplete. Such games I would totally NEVER recommend because they weren't actually all that fun.

I understand the business decision to create your own IP by bioware but I also think it was a mistake leaving D&D and Star Wars. Outside of mass effect 2 I can't recall one of their games I wanted to play a second time around after finishing it. EA has only turned them into another studio who just increases the number at the end of their title every other year in order to give away the razor handle so you constantly purchase their razors. CD project, Bethesda, and bioware have all passed them by in creating various quality RPGs.

Most of ME2 was already done by the time EA bought Bioware and that's exactly why it was a good game.

"CD project, Bethesda, and bioware have all passed them by in creating various quality RPGs"

Bioware is a mistype right? EA has owned them for some time now.

Most of ME2 was already done by the time EA bought Bioware and that's exactly why it was a good game.

"CD project, Bethesda, and bioware have all passed them by in creating various quality RPGs"

Bioware is a mistype right? EA has owned them for some time now.
Correct I intended to write blizzard.

There's a difference between playing a game for fun, and working/grinding through a game to get to the "fun".
Just because you put hours into a game, doesn't mean you enjoy/like it. It more than likely means you're stubborn lol

There have been a few games I played to finish, not because I liked them, but because I didn't want to leave it incomplete. Such games I would totally NEVER recommend because they weren't actually all that fun.

I'd say there's also a massive difference between playing the game to play a game and playing the game so you know whether or not you are going to recommend it..... as part of your job :D

Shadow of Mordor was one of my favorite games of the whole generation, and I put in over 100 hours on it. I was super hyped to play the sequel--and then Monolith and WB did everything in their power to bleed my interest out of me. Even getting it on a steep discount it still felt like a waste; I dragged myself through the main campaign, then gave up during the second half and haven't touched it since.

Shadow of War is the textbook example of more =/= better.

Couldn't agree more with the last point. I am not a fan of leaving games incomplete and I wish single player games had a skip/cheat system to get through the boring parts.

Recently finished 'Overlord: Fellowship of Evil', it was a buggy disappointment of what could have been a very interesting twist on Overlord. Finished it because of the story and few gems of humour but otherwise this entry from Codemasters, it resigns to the dung pile.

Last edited:
I wan to say a couple of things:

There is literally NOTHING worse (in gaming) than a game that you keep thinking will get better then doesn't. 50 hours of thinking, this can't be it right? It has to get to the good bits soon, doesn't it? Then, end credits and that's 50 hours of your life you will never get back. The developer should pay you for wasting your time, it is certainly NOT money well spent.

This moronic notion that if you played it for X hours it's worth the money is the reason EA keeps ramming titles like this down our throats. A bad game is a bad game, period. Play it for 10 seconds or try to give it a chance and play it for 100 hours hoping it gets better, you still wasted your money and feel ripped off. Time played does not = value for money. I, and most gamers, would rather play a good game that is over in an hour than a piece of garbage that strings you along promising great things it never delivers for 100s of hours. If I wanted to spend 50 hours playing a pointless game I would play tetris, at least I have the satisfaction of a high score. Hell, by this logic, tetris should cost $60 and be heralded as the best value for money game you can buy, even today.......

Quit defending BS games, stop buying BS games, stop being part of the problem.

[/QUOTE]
Quit defending BS games, stop buying BS games, stop being part of the problem.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. It's like saying well you didn't avert your eyes and run out of the movie theater so it's obviously money well spent! You can't form a valuable opinion if you haven't seen everything it has/hasn't to offer.

Regarding PUBG, the article needs to state/talk about the cheating. That is killing the game. It's so rampant. There are a ton of bugs but simply leaving out one of the number one issues is just ridiculous.

2017 was a big low for the bigger publishers. All the branding and micro transaction rubbishi s holding back the development of good solid playable games.

They've been vomiting out some awful rubbish of late, and they seem unable to learn from it.

Star wars is such a spectacular own goal for EA. I mean you couldn't get it more wrong if you tried!
This just sums it up. The rampant, incessant greed of the gaming industry was flooring.

There were some great games from small devs, like horizon zero dawn and the new wipeout collection, but the majority of gaming was foul trash.

Sadly, it will continue I think. There is just too much money in AA microtransactions, DLC, fee-2-pay, and preorders for publishers to stop churning out garbage until sales plummet.

I see that my post was kind of controversial :)

I stand by my opinion: if you play a game for 50 hours, that's 50 hours of entertainment you got out of the game, I'm supposing you're playing for non-professional reasons ;).

If it was a "boring grind" or "you didn't enjoy the game" that's entirely your fault. Nowadays you have reviews, opinions, let's plays, you name it. You can even test the game for a couple of hours and refund it if you don't like it. If you commit those 50 hours you are either a masochist or you had a decent time with the game. Of course there are excellent games that are 7 hours long and trash games that are 50 hours, but it's your RESPONSIBILITY to dedicate your game time to good games, you can't blame the developer guys.

I see that my post was kind of controversial :) I stand by my opinion: if you play a game for 50 hours, that's 50 hours of entertainment you got out of the game, I'm supposing you're playing for non-professional reasons ;). If it was a "boring grind" or "you didn't enjoy the game" that's entirely your fault.
Unfortunately such "opinions" are regularly just an excuse for trolling in the Steam forums. The same people whining "I don't understand people that say "I've played over 50 hours of this game but it's not a good game; I can't recommend it"" one minute then post in someone else's review "I don't understand people that say "I've only played 2 hours of this game but it's not a good game; I can't recommend it"" 5 minutes later. No matter how much / little someone has played, it's always declared to be the "wrong" amount as an excuse to personally attack the reviewer rather than directly address the points he raised because he "dared to downvote my favorite game". Seen time and time again over on Steam forums...

There are plenty of reasons why negative votes aften 50 hours are entirely valid - game starts off well then goes downhill (bad writing / pacing / grind, etc) but gamer sticks with it hoping it will pick up but doesn't want to look at the ending due to spoilers / games left in the background inflate apparent play-time / bad endings or games which end on a "to be continued..." cliff-hangar that promises a finishing sequel that gets cancelled / episodic games where 4 out of 5 are great and the last one is a turd / save-game corruption that only shows up after the game save has reached a certain size (more 2nd half than 1st half of the game) / games whose mechanics are changed in a widely disliked manner a while after launch / unfixed late-game game-breaking bugs, and 101 other variations of "I forced myself to finish but I didn't enjoy it and had someone warned me in advance, I wouldn't have bought it..."

I stand by my opinion: if you play a game for 50 hours, that's 50 hours of entertainment you got out of the game, I'm supposing you're playing for non-professional reasons ;).

If it was a "boring grind" or "you didn't enjoy the game" that's entirely your fault. Nowadays you have reviews, opinions, let's plays, you name it. You can even test the game for a couple of hours and refund it if you don't like it. If you commit those 50 hours you are either a masochist or you had a decent time with the game. Of course there are excellent games that are 7 hours long and trash games that are 50 hours, but it's your RESPONSIBILITY to dedicate your game time to good games, you can't blame the developer guys.

You DO realize that the writer of this article played the 50 hours because he was paid to review the game... he didn't have the choice to stop playing...

Otherwise, yes, if you continue to play a game past the hour or 2 it should take to get into it.... you got the entertainment you purchased...

A crappy movie will cost you $10-20 depending on the theater... you get about 1.5-3 hours of entertainment maximum.... If you pay 5 times more, you should be thinking 10-15 hours of entertainment... 50 is pretty good for your cash :)

Yea, I agree. There's no single player game right now that should take 50-60 hours to complete on a standard run.

If you're that perfectionist who spent extra hours to collect every damn item you'll never use when the game ends just to say you got it and give it a negative review, screw you. Put the game down. Take a shower. Go outside and do stuff. 50-60 hours should be enough time for you to figure out if you like/dislike a game's story, gameplay/features.

The performance of PUBG is the least of my worries. I have a high end machine and it runs well enough...

However the problem I have in the game is that I usually end up seeing only a couple of players in an entire round, before I get killed by a camper somewhere inside a house.

Yeah.. Fun. I'll stick to action packed overwatch :)

I am just about 34 and have been PC gaming since I was 10 years old. This past year has been the worst year for purchasing PC games for myself. I think Divinity Original Sin 2 and Ghost Recon Wildlands were the only thing I purchased.

Video games as a whole are becoming worse and worse every year, as the developers try to save as much money as the can making them cheaper and cheaper yet insisting on increase the retail price by another $10, day one paid DLC and micro-transactions. It feels like nothing but give give give and never getting anything back for my money. Companies are releasing unfinished games at full price and the community is left to do the final testing while major bugs and occasionally game braking glitches are being patches weeks and sometimes months after release.

So we now have "early access" to make up for the short comings of the developers allowing them as much grace period as they need, this in itself is another huge step backwards to the gaming industry, games can sit in this stage for way too long and sometimes just never get released in favor of a new game at full price. Or worse they get stamped as being complete and still aren't remotely finished games, looking at you PUBG.

But ultimately the lack of innovation and the similarities to the previous year's game being replaced is what truly pisses me off, wait no, the *****s supporting this industry standard are who piss me off. Annually spending $150 on a shooting game or a sports game just because it has a new number on the box is frustrating beyond belief and hugely responsible for the state of the industry.

Personally I'm thinking of searing off new games and just being happy with the games I have and enjoy, gambling on new game purchases is just not worth it anymore, tried the new CoD because my friend wanted me to play with him, the game couldn't even launch on my main screen without me unplugging every other monitor, got a refund for it that same day. It's lazy **** like that, simply having your game support multiple monitors, something I discovered was an issue with previous CoD games, that just makes one lose faith and miss the way things use to be...

Shadow of War was particularly disappointing. I was really, really looking forward to that one...

I just turn to smaller developers and companies like CDPR for my games now. AAA quality, without most of (if any of) the AAA nonsense.

Back