The Netherlands becomes first country to install solar-collecting pathway

Shawn Knight

Staff member

world solar road bike path netherlands solar power

The Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research is putting the finishing touches on a section of bike path connecting two Amsterdam suburbs. Once complete, the 230-foot stretch of path will be the first in the world to double as a solar panel collection grid.

The path, utilized by an average of 2,000 cyclists each day, was built using square concrete blocks with solar cells laid across the top. A 1cm thick piece of tempered glass covers the cells to protect them from pedestrians and the elements. While not very thick, the glass can reportedly withstand the weight of a truck without breaking.

world solar road bike path netherlands solar power

It’s the first phase in a project that’ll eventually span 328 feet when complete in 2016. All said and done, the project – dubbed SolaRoad – will cost a whopping $3.74 million and produce enough electricity to light three homes. That’s not exactly the best use of funds, but I digress.

The panels aren’t optimized for maximum energy collection due to the fact that they are installed in a fixed position. They are, however, installed at a slight angle in hopes that rain water will help wash away dirt.

Scientists plan to monitor the path over the next three years to see exactly how much energy it can create and observe how it stands up over time. If successful, the potential exists to solarize up to 20 percent of the country’s roadways.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how much it cost and how much electricity it'll save. Considering solar panels on rooftops aren't cost effective, I doubt that attaching them to cement and tempered glass is any better. Especially if they're next to a row of trees.

I wonder how much it cost and how much electricity it'll save. Considering solar panels on rooftops aren't cost effective, I doubt that attaching them to cement and tempered glass is any better. Especially if they're next to a row of trees.
On rooftops works perfectly in Australia. Every 1 in 3 houses I see have them around here.

On rooftops works perfectly in Australia. Every 1 in 3 houses I see have them around here.
they may "work" perfectly but horrible at actually being cost effective. takes about 25-30 years to pay for themselves.

they may "work" perfectly but horrible at actually being cost effective. takes about 25-30 years to pay for themselves.

Not to mention the impact local climate has on returns.

And if they last 25-30 years, think of all the man hours that were saved in maintenance alone. And that is not to mention the fuel savings. The sooner we can go all solar the better, regardless of how much it cost.

And if they last 25-30 years, think of all the man hours that were saved in maintenance alone. And that is not to mention the fuel savings. The sooner we can go all solar the better, regardless of how much it cost.
while I agree with the overall "we should" part, noone would use them for the full 25-30 years. In 10 years, the new ones due to new design and technology will be (allegedly) 100%-500% for effeciant. This mean people will rip the old ones out and they will go to the dump since the cost of the new ones will be (alleged) 50%-90% cheaper to make and will outweigh the cost/install factor of the old ones. I am not saying people "shouldn't" buy them, I just know I won't be for at least another 10 years.

In 10 years, the new ones
Assuming there is a market for them to begin with. Everything has to start somewhere. I don't like the high cost any more than you do. If we are going to have buildings and walkways, we might as well have them collecting solar energy for us. That is instead of trashing all the nearest fields with solar panels, wind turbines, and production plants.

Besides you can't really look at the expense of this initial project as it is more an experiment, to so how they will function before continuing to expand country wide.

Wasn't this featured a couple months ago? O_o

I could swear you already made an article about this.

This is r
I am 100% for new ideas that produce/save/conserve power, but at the cost, I think this is 100% ridiculous.

The research value is the main benefit here. That's why they also plant trees around it, just like a normal bicycle path in the Netherlands.

I think there is a lot of potential in solar energy in the long run, the only thing stopping us is the costs for development, because it's not short term beneficent.
These experiments need to be done in order to integrate it in society, that's why I love this kind of projects.

Solar idea always looks good on paper, fuel cell idea works and can power your entire home for less. But again it has to be maintain. Electric Companies are not going to give you what you want to get off their power grid system. If every house made it's own electricity who would loose. Well the Electric Companies can't milk us anymore.

I wouldn't look at it from an economical perspective, but more from a scientific research perspective. It produces ridiculously expensive electricity... so what!? The first personal computers were ridiculously expensive and couldn't do much. Progress and research costs money, sometimes a lot! Bravo to this team.

Efficiency might not be there yet (as with any solar cell technology, really...), but it will come, it will come.

Sounds like it's not cost effective in your countries.
We have high price per kw and we get govt rebates for solar.
It's a great option here.
I just try to use my gadgets during the day.
Feels good knowing that it's free. (Sort of)

It should also be remembered that the $3.74 million also pays for 326 feet of roadway. Still an expensive project, but as mentioned before, an experiment.

What if they invent something twice as efficient in 2 years? All of these cells will be obsolete then…

What do you suggest? Waiting the next two centuries, in hopes there is something more efficient around the corner.

Back