The Odysseus lunar lander's payload included a 30-million page library

emorphy

Staff
Why it matters: The Odysseus' payloads included a number of scientific and commercial inventions but the lunar library could wind up being the most significant. Containing a huge array of books, documents and digital recordings, it is a guarantee that civilization on Earth will never be lost.

When Odysseus touched down near the lunar south pole at around 6:23 p.m. ET four days ago, tensions were running high. During the final descent, lasers meant to determine horizontal velocity and altitude stopped working, forcing ground controllers to switch to an untested NASA Doppler LIDAR landing system that was originally meant to be an in-flight technology demonstration. Furthermore, the US lunar mission, dubbed "IM-1," and led by Houston-based Intuitive Machines followed a failed attempt last month, when a private company called Astrobotic unsuccessfully attempted to land the Peregrine lander on the lunar surface. Investigations revealed that the mission failed due to a fuel leak.

But the Odysseus landed safely, making it the first American non-government lander to successfully touch down on the moon, not to mention the first US spacecraft to land on the lunar surface in more than 50 years.

Nowhere was the relief more palpable than with the Arch Mission Foundation, which had included in the spacecraft's payload a lunar library that carries nothing less than "a backup of human knowledge that will now endure untouched on the Moon for eternity," according to co-founder Nova Spivack. It was the third time the Arch Mission Foundation had tried to get this payload to the moon. The library was on Israel's Beresheet lander that crashed on the Moon in 2019 and the Astrobotic mission that splashed down into the South Pacific.

Etched onto thin sheets of nickel, Spivack says the lunar library is practically indestructible and can withstand the harsh conditions of space. Some of the contents of its 30 million pages include:

• Wikipedia, containing over six million articles.
  • Portions of Project Gutenberg's library of over 70,000 free eBooks.
  • The Long Now Foundation's Rosetta Project archive of over 7,000 human languages and The Panlex datasets.
  • Selections from the Internet Archive's collections of books and documents and data sets.
  • The SETI Institute's Earthling Project, featuring a musical compilation of 10,000 vocal submissions.
  • The Arch Lunar Art Archive containing a collection of works from global contemporary and digital artists in 2022, recorded as NFTs.
  • The secrets to David Copperfield's greatest illusions, including how he will make the Moon disappear in the near future.
  • The Arch Mission Primer, which teaches a million concepts with images and words in five languages.
  • The Arch Mission Private Library, which contains millions of pages as well as books, documents and articles.

All told, the Odysseus was loaded with a total of 12 payloads from NASA and commercial companies. They ranged from NASA's Radio Observations of the Lunar Surface Photoelectron Sheath, which uses a low-frequency radio receiver system to, among other things, measure the electron plasma environment on the lunar surface, to thermal reflective material developed by Columbia Sportswear called Omni-Heat Infinity that it uses in its jackets. Intuitive Machines engineers used the technology on the closeout panel to protect the cryogenic propulsion tank.

Permalink to story.

I really don't understand the purpose of this. I get that some people think that Earth's civilization will never be lost with such a repository, and its not like there are no other instances of this type of thing here on Earth. However, if the worst happens here on Earth, who's to say that tech/civilization will not be thrown back to the stone age. If that is the case, then who, on Earth, would be able to retrieve the information, much less care about it rather than their own survival.?

Perhaps it would be more interesting to some extra-terrestrial anthropologist. Such an entity might come along and study it, see how "advanced" we were and then say "its too bad they could not overcome their differences" or thank their luck stars in that the Earth's civilization destroyed itself before it had a chance to bring its disagreements and war-like behavior to space. Ah, pie in the sky thinking. It might be totally uninteresting to an extra-terrestrial anthropologist as they may have seen many civilizations "progress" in the same manner.

It seems more like Earthly hubris, to me.

I really don't understand the purpose of this. I get that some people think that Earth's civilization will never be lost with such a repository, and its not like there are no other instances of this type of thing here on Earth. However, if the worst happens here on Earth, who's to say that tech/civilization will not be thrown back to the stone age. If that is the case, then who, on Earth, would be able to retrieve the information, much less care about it rather than their own survival.?

Perhaps it would be more interesting to some extra-terrestrial anthropologist. Such an entity might come along and study it, see how "advanced" we were and then say "its too bad they could not overcome their differences" or thank their luck stars in that the Earth's civilization destroyed itself before it had a chance to bring its disagreements and war-like behavior to space. Ah, pie in the sky thinking. It might be totally uninteresting to an extra-terrestrial anthropologist as they may have seen many civilizations "progress" in the same manner.

It seems more like Earthly hubris, to me.

Whole thing feels like an extension of our base need to reproduce, to be honest. I think it's useful in that it stokes people's imaginations about how future archeologists (probably other humans or our descendants (evolution? cyborgs? who knows) might find and view our civilization, and perhaps it allows them to ask questions about what is important to them today. It's also fun from a "can we put all of our important knowledge in a central repository" problem: now if only we could buy a copy of this on consumer hardware so we didn't need the internet! (Yes, I know there is DIY stuff out there and I have offline copies of the text of Wikipedia for that rare time the internet is down).

Will it survive for thousands of years? Probably not. We'll probably get up there and excavate/develop the site and so on, or a meteor will crash into it, or whatever. But still kinda neat.

(I’d love to see how they described a male vs a female).
Woman: Gave Adam an Apple, Have appends on higher regions.
Man: Received an Apple from Eva. Have appends on lower regions.

(I'm joking k, not talking about gender... I had too much political talk today)

Back