The RDRAM nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrugCzarOfPortu

Well, it's a nightmare for me anyway.

So I wanted to upgrade my computer. I ordered everything, and the first thing to arrive was RAM.

My original RDRAM was two sticks of 128 MB RDRAM (40ns) in rimms 1 and 2. Rimms 3 and 4 had continuity modules. As far as i can tell, the RAM is non ECC, unbuffered, PC800. I have a 533 MHz FSB.

I ordered two sticks of 256MB (made by Samsung, because that is who teh original RAM was made by). This is the specific RAM i got : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-151-102&depa=1

I opened my case, popped out the continuity modules and put in my brand new RDRAM. I plugged it back in, fired it up and all I got were ten distinct beeps. So I thought to go to Dell's support forum. I am told there i need to put the larger RAM sticks in rimms 1 and 2. SO i popped out the older 128s, put them in RIMMS 3 and 4, and stuck teh new 256 sticks in rimms 1 and 2. Still, all I got were the beeps. So, lastly, I put the continuity modules back in RIMMS 3 and 4 and put my new sticks of RAM in 1 and 2. Still, all I got were the beeps, without a system boot up.

So, oh great members of the techspot forums, did I get faulty RAM? Or is it something more sinister. I was told on the Dell forums that this RAM should work, so I don't know what to do.

Make sure that the new RDRAM has the required (by Dell) CL-type.
They come in CL=2, 2.5 or 3. Dell probably requires CL=2.
Any different type won't work (that is my experience at least when upgrading a customer's Dell memory of the SDRAM or DDRAM type).

how do i figure that out? Because as far as I can tell, this RAM should work. Dell tech support has been no help.

Their first reply told me to update the BIOS, which i did, and it didn't work. The next tech support e-mail told me this RAM wasn't compatible, but they somehow came to believe i had a Dimension 4300 instead of an 8200. So now I am completely stuck.

Crucial says: Do I have to buy the same size upgrade as the memory module currently installed in my computer or can I mix different sizes?

In newer systems using SDRAM or DDR SDRAM memory, you can use modules of different densities with no problem. For example, if your computer came with a 128MB memory module, you can add a 256MB module for a total of 384MB of RAM. However, if you have a "dual-channel" system and want to take advantage of that technology, you will need to ensure that the modules in each memory slot are the same density.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back