The remake of Microsoft's original Halo game is now available on PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is now available on Windows PC, Microsoft revealed in a surprise announcement on Tuesday. The game is a remake of the original Halo: Combat Evolved that arrived on Microsoft’s Xbox as a launch title way back in 2001. The popular game made the transition to the PC in late 2003 and in 2011, a remake dropped for the Xbox 360 complete with enhanced sound and graphics to celebrate the franchise’s 10th anniversary.

Brian Jarrard, community director at developer 343 Industries, said the new Combat Evolved Anniversary features 4K UHD support and will run at 60 frames per second (or greater). You also get native mouse / keyboard support as well as support for ultra-wide monitors and varying aspect ratios, updated texture / shadow quality and more.

There are even community-requested features baked in like the ability to utilize classic audio in multiplayer.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is available as part of the Halo: The Master Chief Collection from the Microsoft Store and on Steam for $39.99 or you can pick it up individually for $9.99. It has also been added to The Master Chief Collection on Xbox Game Pass for PC.

Permalink to story.

I bought an Xbox One with the Master Chief Collection in mind. It didn't turn out so well, at least for the first two years. That's how long they took to fix the game up to a reasonable level.

Having played Reach and now the original game in the insider programme I must say that it is moving onto PC nicely. The weapons and enemies feel as satisfying as they did, way back when. Nearly 20 years ago.

Halo 3 was probably the disappointment for me in the collection. The first two games got totally remastered, the fourth already looked pretty good being a late stage X360 game. Especially when taken to 1080p.

Halo 3 was improved the least. The texture filtering was still awful and left the game muddy, even if the aliasing was reduced a fair bit. That plagued the original release so badly on Xbox 360.

Here's hoping when they finally get round to Halo 3 we get the ultimate version.

The original release? Both the Xbox and PC versions did have multiplayer options. LANparties were a regular weekend activity at my home during those times.

Obviously when I say multiplayer I mean “multiplayer online“ and the Xbox version did not offer it.

But is there a reason to buy it if you already own the PC release. Honestly Halo and Halo 2 excite me the least because I already own them for PC.

But is there a reason to buy it if you already own the PC release. Honestly Halo and Halo 2 excite me the least because I already own them for PC.
Updated graphics. Sure, if you're not a fan, you won't be excited about it.

The original was the best of the series. Damn shame it didn't include multiplayer.
With something like 4,000 hours in the Halo PC multiplayer back in the day I have no idea where your getting the no multiplayer from, OG xbox had no online multiplayer but PC did through GameSpy.

Today I bought this collection, just to play the single player campaings.
But got this error: "error encountered while signing into xbox live."
Searched the internet for a solution and found that a lot of people got this problem. Tried a few solutions, but to no avail.
It's like we are back to dealing with GFWL....

It's unbelievable that I can't play a single player game offline in 2020.
Already asked Steam for a refund.

Today I bought this collection, just to play the single player campaings.
But got this error: "error encountered while signing into xbox live."
Searched the internet for a solution and found that a lot of people got this problem. Tried a few solutions, but to no avail.
It's like we are back to dealing with GFWL....

It's unbelievable that I can't play a single player game offline in 2020.
Already asked Steam for a refund.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, it's rediculous we can't play single player games offline anymore, however, it does warn you on the steam store page about logging into Xbox Live.

Me and a large portion of my friends have been playing through the campaign's with no issues, we are all online and logged into our Xbox Live accounts.

Do you download games then immediately rip out the network cable? Or is it refusal to create an Xbox Live account?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, it's rediculous we can't play single player games offline anymore, however, it does warn you on the steam store page about logging into Xbox Live.

Me and a large portion of my friends have been playing through the campaign's with no issues, we are all online and logged into our Xbox Live accounts.

Do you download games then immediately rip out the network cable? Or is it refusal to create an Xbox Live account?

I just got "error encountered while signing into xbox live." Can't do anything else. I don't even see the screen to create or login.
Network connection was on, of course.
I did reinstall the game, but it didn't fix anything.
Steam already refunded my purchase. So this problem is solved.

Steam already refunded my purchase. So this problem is solved.

It's not too difficult to find the original halo 1 pc iso if you still want to play it. After you install it run the 1.10 update for larger mordern screen resolutions.

Back