The RTX 3090 Ti details Nvidia promised would land in January still haven't arrived

midian182

Staff member
Recap: Remember when Nvidia gave us a glimpse of the long-rumored RTX 3090 Ti during its CES keynote? The company said that it would provide further details on the monster GPU "later this month,” but you’ve probably noticed that we’re now in February and are still waiting for more info about the Ampere flagship.

Rumors of an RTX 3090 Ti stretched back to May 2021 when a listing in Zotac’s FireStorm software suggested the company was confident one would arrive at some point. Several reports followed that claimed the card would launch in January, something that looked likely when Nvidia confirmed its existence during CES.

Nvidia Senior VP Jeff Fisher revealed some details about the RTX 3090 Ti (or tie, as he still insists on calling it) at CES. The card has 24GB of GDDR6X memory running at 21Gb/s, beating the 19.5Gb/s on the RTX 3090. It also boasts 40 shader teraflops, 78 RT teraflops, and 320 tensor teraflops of performance and is expected to come with a 450W TDP alongside a 16-pin power connector.

For comparison, the vanilla RTX 3090 offers 36 shader teraflops, 69 RT teraflops, and 285 tensor teraflops.

With more details promised in January, some were hoping we might even see the RTX 3090 Ti launch last month. Sadly, we got neither. So what’s going on? One of the main reasons behind the silence could be the reported problems found in the card’s hardware, likely to be the PCB, and the GPU’s BIOS, which would affect production given how late they’ve been discovered. And that’s not even taking the global chip shortage into account.

But even if the card does launch in February, it’s not going to be exempt from any of the problems plaguing the industry right now. It’s expected to have a $1,999 MSRP. Considering that most graphics cards are still around double their suggested retail price, you might be paying close to $4,000 for one—and that’s the Founders Edition; high-end third-party variants could go for even more. Nvidia, meanwhile, remains suspiciously quiet.

On the subject of the graphics card crisis, Intel recently responded to the situation by promising to ship “millions” of Arc Alchemist GPUs every year.

h/t: Tom's Hardware

Permalink to story.

It seems like they overestimated their ability to improve the process even more on a product that was likely near the limit of what both the fab and their tech can handle. Maybe they'll quietly scrap it and just wait for 4090 instead, seems like a more sensible choice to just whatever little bins that are above the 3090 level for some other workstation/datacenter product.

It must be a slow news day because I can't think of anyone who gives a crap about the predictable details of the RTX 3090 Ti.

Here's what I believe that the specs will be like based on everything that has taken place so far:

PRICE: $5,000USD
PERFORMANCE: 3-5% above the RTX 3090
VRAM: 24GB GDDR6X

The same brainless fools with more money than they know what to do with might buy them but nobody else will. Most of us weren't even willing to pay the extra for a 6900 XT, let alone 3090 or 3090 Ti.

Sure, nVidia missed their date but does anyone really care? Clearly, not even nVidia does.

Last edited:
It must be a slow news day because I can't think of anyone who gives a crap about the predictable details of the RTX 3090 Ti.

Here's what I believe that the specs will be like based on everything that has taken place so far:

The same brainless fools with more money than they know what to do with might buy them but nobody else will.

We all know someone that'll take two, and then endlessly brag about it.

Prepare for sticker shock!!!

But nomatter what, I doubt the performance boost will be enough to justify the overly-inflated cost.

A 3090 is still over $2500 online - up from $1500.

A 3090 Ti will have to be launched at a cost higher than the initial 3090 cost - and the inflated value will easily push it past $3000. Maybe even $4000. It's not worth it.

Since MSRP is no longer a thing I guess scalpers will set the retail price. What fun times we live in.

Just because a manufacturer suggests what they think should be an appropriate price for a product (hence the term Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price, see how all those capitalized letters match) does not mean anyone has to sell it for that price, and indeed can set prices higher if they wish.

Edit: And I see this was already covered, should have read the whole thread. Oh well.

Just because a manufacturer suggests what they think should be an appropriate price for a product (hence the term Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price, see how all those capitalized letters match) does not mean anyone has to sell it for that price, and indeed can set prices higher if they wish.

Edit: And I see this was already covered, should have read the whole thread. Oh well.

That comes in the form of "well duh". That is what MSRP stands for. And lost on many is the fact that they are going to stop even listing MSRP. To put it in easier terms, scalping is an abomination or rather cancer of the free market that deviates from the normal price fluctuations, new release or added hardware benefits withstanding. When working correctly that is. There is nothing normal about this but it might be that way going forward. Win, win for scalpers.

Let's think about this for a minute. Buy a car, a complete boss computer or a video card? Decisions, decisions.....and this is NOT a hard one!

The rumor has, Nvidia is planning to start selling RTX 3090 Ti details, for $100, or $300 on re-sale websites.

The same brainless fools with more money than they know what to do with might buy them but nobody else will. Most of us weren't even willing to pay the extra for a 6900 XT, let alone 3090 or 3090 Ti.

Sure, nVidia missed their date but does anyone really care? Clearly, not even nVidia does.

Big monolithic chips are fast, but have a quite high faillure rate in terms of how many you can extract from a wafer. Obtaining the "full" chip in this case is proberly the most expensive part you can get. It's fast, its as intended, sure, and as proces over time matures the amount of full die's they can extract from a wafer becomes larger.

The reason for delay was the hardware faillure I think. The chip would consume quite some power that would blow up boards basicly. But there's always a niche for people who do have the money and "want the best" they can get their hands on.

Big monolithic chips are fast, but have a quite high faillure rate in terms of how many you can extract from a wafer. Obtaining the "full" chip in this case is proberly the most expensive part you can get. It's fast, its as intended, sure, and as proces over time matures the amount of full die's they can extract from a wafer becomes larger.
That's not the issue here. This article is about nVidia's silence on the matter. Most of us here do know what is involved in fabbing chips in a foundry. One of the reasons that AMD beat Intel from pillar to post was the fact that the Zen way of making massive multi-core CPUs was far more efficient and way less expensive than the large monolithic dice that Intel used at the time. The yield difference between the companies was astronomical. AMD's yields were so good that they were having trouble making lower-tier CPUs because something like 88% of all Zeppelin dice were flawless.
But there's always a niche for people who do have the money and "want the best" they can get their hands on.
I think I said that exact thing in the post to which you replied, lemme check:
Yep, that's pretty much spot-on (although I definitely prefer the way I said it). :laughing:

Last edited:
That comes in the form of "well duh". That is what MSRP stands for. And lost on many is the fact that they are going to stop even listing MSRP. To put it in easier terms, scalping is an abomination or rather cancer of the free market that deviates from the normal price fluctuations, new release or added hardware benefits withstanding. When working correctly that is. There is nothing normal about this but it might be that way going forward. Win, win for scalpers.
What I really don't understand is the implication that AMD is also going to stop using MSRP just because nVidia is. I consider that to be extremely presumptuous because there have been a crap-tonne of slimy, anti-consumer actions taken by nVidia that AMD had nothing to do with. This is like saying that AMD was also going to blacklist Hardware Unboxed because nVidia did or that AMD was also going to try and force their AIB partners to only use the word "gaming" on Radeon products like nVidia tried with their GeForce Partner Program. You DO remember the GeForce Partner Program, don't you?

Good grief! Just when are people going to stop giving nVidia a pass for all the crap that they've pulled? Anyone who owns a GeForce card now (and isn't using it for mining) is like a battered spouse who keeps going back for more abuse! I swear that I never want to hear another nVidia owner whining about what AMD's doing.

Anyway, as long as there's an MSRP on Radeons, it doesn't matter what nVidia does because people will always prefer to buy something that they know the price of in advance. There will be no more GeForce reviews because they'll be useless without MSRPs. The only reviews out there will be Radeon reviews and that will hurt GeForce pretty badly.

Back